Let’s face it we all have the best memories of spring and hot summers by the water splashing in the waves. I can’t tell you how many times I wanted to relive that sweet memory with my family only to find drama every step of the way.
We love the beach and by love I mean we pretty much live at the beach in our time off. With spring break in full force and summer quickly approaching we wanted to share some simple tips for better enjoying a day at the beach that we’ve found helpful along the way!
10 Tips for a Better Day at the Beach
- Buy A Half Tent – We found a half dome tent at our local warehouse mega store. It’s proven itself extremely useful time and time again. It’s the perfect way to easily protect your family form the sun without lugging out a big ol’ beach umbrella!
- Invest In A Beach Cooler With Wheels –I can’t tell you how many times my husband piled our beach gear on a cooler and rolled it across the sand. Not only is the cooler essential for beach snacks (INSERT HYPERLINK TO OTHER POST HERE) but it’s also easier to carry when your hands are full if it has wheels to roll it across the sand.
- Bring Extra Sun Protection –We always keep extra sunscreen in the car but the same goes for the beach. We are reapplying sunscreen often so I like to bring extra along just in case. We also carry a variety of sunscreen types as well like sunscreen sticks for easy face reapplication. We also bring extra sun protection like sunglasses as well.
- Bring Empty Shopping Bags –I ty not to pack a lot of packaged snacks. Instead we try to use reusable containers but let’s face it, some things do need sandwich bags. Clothes get wet and I can’t tell you how many times I was grateful to have brought an extra plastic grocery bag.
- Rethink Your Beach Blanket –You don’t need to use towels to lay down on. We use a large blanket instead and it doesn’t blow away and it’s light enough to be easily folded for storage.
- Try To Sit Near A Lifeguard Tower– This one is simple and makes us as parents feel better about our older girls out in the waves for hours on end.
- Pack Small Snacks– Kids don’t need large meals at the beach they need easy healthy snacks that are safe from the sand.
- Plan A Treasure Hunt– This is so simple to do and kids love this activity. You don’t even have to get up for this activity. Download your FREE beach treasure hunt printable.
- Baby Powder Sand Removal– We’ve tested this time and time again and it works wonders. Baby powder on the body does remove sand which makes for an easier ride back home.
- Prepare a No Drama Ending– Kids need time for transition. This really is important as we start to end or long day. Most likely your kiddos are tired and drained from the sunshine of the day. Give them a warning when you know you’re an hour away from leaving. We start our end of day countdown and go down from a half an hour to fifteen minutes. We start clean up at fifteen minutes from leaving and this stagey has helped us time and time again even as my girls get older this continues to be useful.
The best thing about spending time at the beach together as a family is all of the memories we are making. The best thing about living close to the beach is getting to enjoy it so often. As with anything allowing my girls to know the expectations for the day is probably key to ensuring we all have a fun and safe day.
This summer we hope to inspire more family’s like ours to just get out and make more memories by the water! Preparing ahead of time can make for a more enjoyable trip to the beach!