Telling My Daughter The Truth About Santa

Disclosure – This is a sponsored post with Scholastic. All opinions are our own.

I love Christmas and always have. I remember being little and waiting for Santa to come. I was so excited for the all the fun in the morning and to see everyone get all their presents. We’d leave Santa cookies and his reindeer food and dream about their visit. I always felt that magic at Christmas and it really still feels the same. Even now as a parent. I get to be excited about seeing the magic in my girls.

We love to read books, go see Christmas lights and enjoy the Christmas season long before Christmas. This year we are doing something a little different with our eight year old. Her friends are all starting to talk about Santa so it’s time to have “the talk”.

We have totally fallen in love with this sweet new Christmas story that explains Santa. The book is called Love, Santa and it is written by Martha Brockenbrough and illustrated by Lee White. Perfectly put this book is a gentle way of getting through the turning point of how a child celebrates Christmas. Where they learn the truth about Santa and yet still not spoiling the magic of Christmas in any way. It almost amplifies the Christmas magic.love santa the truth about santa bookI’ll be perfectly honest, I didn’t make it through the book without crying. It’s just a sweet story and reminds me of how my girls are just getting older. Even better is how fun and interactive the book is. The story is about a little girl who writes to Santa every year.

The girl writes to Santa to ask about the North Pole, Mrs. Claus, and of course all the Christmas goodies. Year after year, Santa writes back, and a heartwarming relationship develops. Then one year the girl writes to her mother instead: Mom, are you Santa?

She learns that Santa is bigger than any one person — we bring him out through kindness to one another and the power of imagination. This transformative tale spins a universal childhood experience into a story about love, giving, and the spirit of Christmas. This is a book I’ll never forget reading with my daughter and I’m so glad I got to share that moment with her.love santa book

Learn more about the book on Scholastic.com

Have you had “the talk” yet with your children?

1. Our Family World on December 2, 2017 at 7:05 am

That is a nice book for kids. It was quite different in my family though. We told the kids the truth about Santa Claus early on. We told them that he was a real Saint and that he symbolizes the habit of giving, caring, and spreading joy and cheer. We did this because we do not want the real meaning of Christmas to be forgotten.

2. Marissa Zurfluh on December 1, 2017 at 10:38 pm

No talk yet, but that day is going to come, I am sure. Great way to handle it.

3. Sara Welch on December 1, 2017 at 10:38 pm

I remember one day that I just realized it. Santa is an amazing idea, and it really helps to keep the kids cool. ;]

4. AnnMarie John on December 1, 2017 at 9:58 pm

What a wonderful way to talk about Santa. I think it’s something that parents should consider getting when they’re finally revealing the truth about the Santa that our kids have come to love!

5. brianne on December 1, 2017 at 6:57 pm

What a beautiful book. I’ll have to check this out for my kiddies.

6. Liz Mays on December 1, 2017 at 6:17 pm

This sounds like such a sweet story that would be great for the Christmas book collection. It sounds like it approaches its subject in a way that is in touch with the spirit of Christmas

7. Theresa on December 1, 2017 at 6:14 pm

This sounds like a beautiful book to help ease the blow of learning about Santa. My first daughter’s friends also started telling her around the time she was 8. My youngest didn’t stop believing until she was almost 13. I think this book would be great for any age though.

8. Pam on December 1, 2017 at 5:45 pm

This sounds like a great book to help break the news to kids about Santa. I would have used something like this with my kids.

9. Christie on December 1, 2017 at 4:58 pm

This looks like a great book to read to kids who are confused about Santa being real or not. It sure beats just telling him he’s not real.

10. travel blogger on December 1, 2017 at 4:53 pm

I think it is great that their is a book about this! I had four older brothers growing up, and they pretty much ruined Santa for me when I was about six. I was heartbroken. It is good to know that when the time comes, I can tell my kids the “truth” with a book like this. What a great idea!

11. Kristi on December 1, 2017 at 3:42 pm

Sounds like a great book, always tough to know what age to have that talk so this would be great.

12. Maureen on December 1, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Wow what a neat book idea. I love that there’s a book to help discuss Santa and the truth about Santa. I am sure many families will enjoy this book. Glad you shared this special moment with us.

13. Stacie on December 1, 2017 at 1:19 pm

I didn’t have to have the talk with any of my kids. I don’t know what the deal with the kids in our neighborhood is, but they all stopped believing before I was even able to have the talk with any of my three kids. The neighborhood kids had the talk for me. LOL