barbie 2017 dolls 28 inch fashion friend (5)

4 Simple Tips for Raising Sisters Who Get Along

This post is sponsored post with Mirum. All opinions are my own.

I’m a mom to three girls and my girls have their very own unique dynamic as sisters. Growing up my sister and I would spend hours and hours playing with or Barbie’s. It snowed a lot during winter so we’d find ourselves playing Barbie’s indoors. Some of my favorite memories growing up are playing with my sister and I want to encourage that same bond with my own daughters.

My girls are big fans of Barbie their dolls have inspired my girls to be anything they can be. They’re imaginative and playful when they play with Barbie and I just want my girls to have those same joys of childhood that I did. With two girls so close in age and liking the same things sometimes it’s also navigating getting along.

4 Simple Tips for Raising Sisters Who Get Along

1. They Can Be Anything – I like to teach my girls that they can do anything. Whatever it is they want to try I make it possible from art class, swim, or dance and gymnastics. I encourage each of my girls to have their own passions and extra circular activities.
  2. Don’t Compare Achievements – Each of my girls is strong at something the other is not. I teach them not to compare their achievements and remind them often that everyone is unique.
  3. Spend Time Alone – You have to spend time alone with each child. It’s important that they do feel like an individual. They can’t always be with their siblings and need that time with you alone.
  4. Promote Activities Together – We spend our weekends together as a family and we being active outdoors. I also try to promote other activities they like to do together like baking or playing with Barbies. It’s all about encouraging play that helps them develop as sisters and friends.

I like that Barbie has encouraged my girls to come together. It’s something they can do together and so this Christmas I’m looking for more gifts form Barbie that encourage them to be anything they can be, together! When I was little I got the original version of the Barbie Flip & Reveal Deluxe Styling Head and I remember how much I played with it with my sister. It’s fun to see my girls doing the same with a Styling Head that has many more features like coloring changing hair and makeup. One of the things I have learned about parenting daughters is how different each of my children really is. The one thing they have in common is the toys that they like to play with. Shopping at Walmart this Christmas I can give them the gifts they’re excited about like the Barbie Flip & Reveal Deluxe Styling Head. It’s something that brings my girls together to play and encourages their bond as sisters.

barbie deals at walmart

Another fun one for my girls that encourages imaginative play and social skills is the the Barbie 28″ Doll.   It comes with a necklace and purse accessory to add a fashionable touch. This kids’ doll’s outfit, including the shoes, is removable. It stands 2″ feet tall so it’s like that life sized Barbie we always dreamt of. My kiddo treats her like just another one of her sisters and loves to do her hair and take her along on car rides. She even reads to her!

You can shop now at Walmart for the Barbie 28″ Doll and the Barbie Flip & Reveal Deluxe Styling Head.  This Christmas Walmart is the one-stop-shop for all these great Mattel toys and more – Barbie, Hot Wheels, Thomas the Train and Fisher Price. Find all the best gifts for great prices at Walmart and Walmart.com

How do you encourage your kiddos to get along?

1. Nancy P on December 11, 2017 at 10:52 am

These are fabulous tips, that’s for sure! Kids playing together in a nice way and getting along can feel so rewarding,.

2. Annemarie LeBlanc on December 9, 2017 at 7:11 am

I have two sisters and we have a 4 year age gap between each of us, so by the time I was a teen-ager, my youngest sister was only 5 years old. Even so, my parents made sure there was no competition between us, especially when it comes to academic achievements. Thank you for these tips. It surely help a lot of parents out there who are raising girls.

3. Our Family World on December 9, 2017 at 5:19 am

I have a daughter and two sons. So my daughter was the “boss” when it comes to playing. She had a few Barbie dolls and a Barbie house complete with tiny furniture. She would have loved to have that Styling head if it were available when she was a young girl.

4. kim on December 9, 2017 at 4:01 am

Sweet story. My sister and I never got along as kids….we still struggle to this day. But, she is finally trying!!! Ha! Dolls are great to play with. I may get this for my adopted angel.

5. Sinisa on December 8, 2017 at 8:13 pm

Great ideas. It would definitely work on my boys too

6. Pam on December 8, 2017 at 7:25 pm

My daughter always loved playing with Barbies. She would have loved that giant Barbie doll.

7. Sherry on December 8, 2017 at 7:23 pm

I have a girl and a boy so I don’t know what it’s like to raise only girls. No matter what it is so important not to compare one child to the other. It’s always wonderful when they can play together nicely.

8. Stacie on December 8, 2017 at 7:21 pm

There’s about a 6 year age difference between my girls. They do have their moments. These are great tips.

9. travel blogger on December 8, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Great tips for raising girls! It can be hard to raise sisters that get along, but my sister and I definitely bonded over Barbies. I wish we had a styling head like this. How cool!

10. Claudia Krusch on December 8, 2017 at 7:10 pm

I loved my Barbies when I was growing up. I had a big Barbie head I could do hairstyles on and it was my favorite. I would have loved the updated version with hands.

11. Theresa on December 8, 2017 at 7:08 pm

Oh, how I loved playing with the Barbie Styling Head with my sister when we were little. We would bond for hours learning how to french braid and make different beauty styles. It’s a great toy for building a sisterly bond.

12. Pam on December 8, 2017 at 6:43 pm

My daughter had a Barbie style head when she was younger. This one looks way nicer, Barbie has changed a lot.

13. Amy Desrosiers on December 8, 2017 at 6:40 pm

I use to love my Barbie Styler in the 90’s. I def butched off all her hair though. Hope my girls spare their Barbie Styler.

14. brianne on December 8, 2017 at 6:27 pm

What a great post! I have two daughters and try so hard for them to get along with each other!

15. Michelle Waller on December 8, 2017 at 6:01 pm

I couldn’t love this post more! My girls are only a year apart. We always make sure they are equal, but also get one on one time with us.

16. Amy Desrosiers on December 8, 2017 at 5:54 pm

My kids do not get along all the time. They will start out playing nice and then stuff hits the fan and they fight!! They do love Barbie too though.

17. Cyn Gagen on December 8, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Those are such great tips. My sister is 8 years older than I am so as I was growing up, we didn’t have much in common but that has changed since we got older. I think it would have been such fun to be able to play together.

18. Sara Welch on December 8, 2017 at 5:45 pm

My mother used to have use do chores together. That always helped big time, haha!

19. Liz Mays on December 8, 2017 at 5:21 pm

These sound like great ideas. I grew up with a sister! We loved playing together but it was good to have alone time too!

20. Kristi on December 8, 2017 at 5:15 pm

Great tips. Our house is interesting as we have twin girls. For the most part they get along really well, we do need to make sure they have enough time apart though. Super important.

21. Randi on December 8, 2017 at 4:00 pm

I totally agree with not comparing kids, especially when they’re the same gender. Celebrating differences in the kids really helps forge sibling relationships.

22. Shell on December 8, 2017 at 3:38 pm

These are great tips for all siblings! Those barbies are so cute.

23. Rach Ferrucci on December 8, 2017 at 2:59 pm

These are great tips. As a mom with 2 girls, i also reminded them that when one doesn’t have it, the other should share. They are now adults and will do anything for each other. Although there were some sister fighting, they knew they had to make up.

24. Melissa Chapman on December 8, 2017 at 2:51 pm

It is so nice that you try and spend time alone with each girl to show that they are an individual. It is good to foster togetherness and independence. Those Barbies are a timeless pleasure for a girl.

25. Maureen on December 8, 2017 at 2:17 pm

These are great tips to help raise siblings who get along. I have one child, but I have seen the struggle with parents of more than one child. I bet bonding activities are certainly a big part of how to encourage siblings to get along better.

26. Ashley on December 8, 2017 at 12:38 pm

I think this applies to having more than one child no matter the gender. Great tips!

27. Colleen on December 8, 2017 at 12:20 pm

Great, great tips. NEVER compare the kids to one another. It’s the fastest way to get them to despise each other.

28. Stacie on December 8, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Kids that play together don’t kill each other, as I always say! When the girls can bond over something they both love, it leads to much better sibling relations.