kaila Sheraton Augora Hills CA Pool

What Vaccines Do My Preteen Need?

This post was sponsored by Unity Consortium as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.

I really can’t believe we’re already here. With our oldest now a preteen and starting school I’m wondering what vaccines does she need to get? Luckily we moved this year and so our school was able to guide us through what vaccines we needed to catch up on if any. It’s important to us that our children are growing healthy and strong. It’s important to keep up on regular health checkups as well as making sure we’re able to been seen by a doctor when we are sick. Healthy well checks are important for young children even as they grow into preteen and become a teenager. Making sure they’re caught up on vaccines is very important. I’ve personally had experience with someone I know having Meningococcal and I know how devastating the preventable disease can be. It’s still shocking to me that 3 our of every ten children are not vaccinated for Meningococcal. So it’s important to remember that as well visits to your doctor become less and less as your children get older it’s still important for them to have the proper vaccines.

• Recommended Vaccinations For Your Preteen:
    • Meningococcal-includes two distinct meningococcal disease vaccines (ACWY and B)
    • Tdap-tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (whooping cough) and Td Booster (tetanus and diphtheria)
    • HPV-human papillomavirus
    • Flu

Unity Consortium addresses the challenges surrounding adolescent and young adult health, with a goal of ensuring 9 in 10 are fully vaccinated against preventable diseases. I was shocked to find out that my preteen did actually need a vaccine to stay up to date. She got to be a good example of being brave by going first for for her vaccines so her little sister who also needs vaccines for Kindergarten could see her and be brave too.

It’s just as important for our teens to get vaccinated as it is our babies. So I’m learning a lot about parenting my preteen. It’s all about keeping our kids happy and healthy. Check out this important infographic with more information on the importance of vaccinations are your teen.

There is additional information about the importance of vaccines on the website Unity4TeenVax.org to learn more .

1. Stacie on August 29, 2017 at 7:35 am

I will have to see if my daughters are due for any vaccines. Keeping the immunized is really important to their health.

2. slehan on August 28, 2017 at 10:52 pm

Vaccines are so important at every age. I get mine and I’m 69 years old.
    slehan at juno dot com

3. Toni | Boulder Locavore on August 28, 2017 at 10:47 pm

This is such a great way to raise awareness about preteen vaccines. Years back, I thought only babies and toddlers need vaccines. Thanks for sharing this! I know this could help a lot of people.

4. Sinisa on August 28, 2017 at 7:47 pm

Definitely good to know this. I will keep in mind for my boys as they get older.

5. Krystal on August 28, 2017 at 7:38 pm

This is helpful to remember that preteens still near their annual visits! It is important to spread awareness.

6. Gingermommy on August 28, 2017 at 7:22 pm

Having moved around the schedule seems to change from place to place. My kids are all up to date

7. Kathy on August 28, 2017 at 6:18 pm

I usually have my kids get all shots except for the flu shot. I personally won’t get the flu shot either, and nor will my husband. Otherwise we are very good about everyone getting their shots.

8. Claudia Krusch on August 28, 2017 at 6:16 pm

It is so important to stay on top of the kids vaccines. My Son is happy he does not need any more for a few years.

9. Kelly Hutchinson on August 28, 2017 at 5:55 pm

I am so glad you wrote this. I have forgotten to schedule an appointment for my daughter to get the

10. jenny at dapperhouse (@dapperhouse) on August 28, 2017 at 5:44 pm

I am actually shocked that a third of parents and pre-teens think they don’t need to see a doctor for a well visit! Thank goodness the schools require physicals and vaccines.

11. Amy Desrosiers on August 28, 2017 at 5:41 pm

Our kids pretty much just get the basic vaccinations. I do not do the flu anymore or anything extra. I prefer to just stick with the required ones with my kids.

12. susan5minutesformom on August 28, 2017 at 1:52 pm

Everyone thinks about babies and toddlers needing vaccines, but it isn’t always something thought about after that. It’s good to know what the suggestions are for that age group.

13. Liz Mays on August 28, 2017 at 1:51 pm

This is really helpful. I think getting ahead of those preventable diseases is probably a good idea. They can be devastating.

14. Vera Sweeney on August 28, 2017 at 1:17 pm

I can’t believe there are so many teens who aren’t fully up to date on all their vaccines! I just figured the docs would tell parents what to get and they would get it.

15. Dawn Lopez on August 28, 2017 at 1:10 pm

This is all really good information to know. The statistics are pretty interesting about how many teens are not fully vaccinated. I guess it’s a good thing to make sure you and your children’s doctor are on the same page.

16. Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle on August 28, 2017 at 1:08 pm

This is an excellent source of information. I think a lot of parents are unclear as to which vaccinations their kids need and when.

17. jmanandmillerbug on August 28, 2017 at 9:31 am

My kiddo will be there soon and I need to know what he actually needs versus what the Dr thinks he needs. This helps a lot! This post is VERY informative!

18. Christina A. on August 27, 2017 at 6:40 pm

I noticed you didn’t mention the HPV vaccine for pre-teens. I hope it’s appropriate to say this but I actually had a conversation about this with my OB-GYN recently and this is what they basically said: “Children really need to have that done around their pre-teens but it doesn’t get done because parents do not like to consider even thinking about it because it means they have to think about their child being sexually active so they let it pass and it just doesn’t happen!” I only thought that I would mention that for people’s consideration as I thought it was a good point! I believe the figures on people with HPV are actually fairly significant!