Making Brushing Fun For Kids with Tom’s of Maine

We are happy to partner with our friends at Tom’s of Maine on this post. All opinions are my own.

Being a mom to three kiddos I know the struggle when it comes to tooth brushing. The American Dental Association suggests that children brush twice a day for two whole minutes,  which doesn’t seem so hard but actually getting kids to brush for that long can be a challenge. That’s why making brushing fun and exciting is the key to successfully building healthy habits.

My youngest kiddo is not a fan of brushing her teeth so we’ve started a challenge to help her have a little fun with it. Tom’s of Maine has a really fun “Silly Brushing Song” that they created in partnership with legendary children’s singer Laurie Berkner to help get kids like mine stay excited for brushing.

Check out the “Silly Brushing Song” –

To get our kindergartner excited about brushing and using the “Silly Brushing Song” I wanted to create a fun printable that she could really engage with. Every day she gets to add a sticker, which she loves — it’s like the ultimate reward! At the end of the week after she’s filled it out we do something fun. I like to find a new park or even just take her to the pool after school. I prefer to reward her with experiences – she loves being active and going out to do something together, which helps get her excited about creating healthy habits at home.
You can download your own Silly Brushing Chart to help to motivate your kiddos. I keep it close by so that she stays excited and motivated to complete the chart each week and listen to the “Silly Brushing Song through to the end.” I have already noticed her and our eight year old starting to brush longer.
silly tooth brushing song
It’s important to me that my kids are active and that they build healthy habits and that the products they use are the very best for them. I trust Tom’s of Maine products and their Silly Strawberry Natural Kid’s Toothpaste is something I have used with each of my girls. In fact, 2017 marks the 25th anniversary of Tom’s of Maine Silly Strawberry Toothpaste.

Silly Strawberry is made for kids ages 2-6 and it’s kid approved in our house – my youngest daughter likes the taste over others we have tried. It has 100% naturally-derived ingredients like real strawberry juice for a great tasting natural clean that my picky kiddo actually likes. In my experience, the best motivator for kids is to make things fun and make it easy for them. They will build on those healthy habits and it won’t be such a chore to get them to brush twice a day for two minutes.
You can learn more about Tom’s of Maine Silly Strawberry Natural Kid’s Toothpaste here.

How do you get your kids excited about brushing their teeth?

1. AnnMarie John on August 30, 2017 at 7:12 am

This used to be an issue with my youngest! I think it’s nice that there’s a song to help encourage kids to brush more often. It’s important that they take good care of their teeth.

2. Toni | Boulder Locavore on August 30, 2017 at 3:43 am

This is such a great idea! Such a fun way to encourage kids brush their teeth.

3. CasaViloraInteriors on August 29, 2017 at 6:58 pm

I love Tom’s brand of toothpaste. That is what I use

4. Rosey on August 29, 2017 at 6:28 pm

That’s the only toothpaste my DIL will let my granddaughter use. She loves it too!

5. Wendy Polisi on August 29, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Tom’s is an amazing brand! We always like making teeth brushing fun as well.

6. Jocelyn at Hip Mama's Place on August 29, 2017 at 10:35 am

Two boys at home is crazy and I always try my best to maintain their dental health and keep their teeth healthy and clean. A chart and a song might help! I think it’s an awesome idea.

7. Kelly Hutchinson (@KickingWKelly) on August 29, 2017 at 7:59 am

Oh my goodness! My kids LOVED the Tooth Brushing Song! It is harder to get them to brush now that they are teens!

8. Jeanine on August 29, 2017 at 6:17 am

This is a great idea. I love making teeth brushing fun for my little ones, they think its such a chore so if we can make it a bit more fun… it would be great!

9. shaneazoom on August 29, 2017 at 4:45 am

I like this method! This would probably work well on my niece.

10. Carol Cassara on August 29, 2017 at 2:34 am

What an awesome way to help encourage kids to brush their teeth regularly and properly as well. It’s always more fun when there’s a song involved!

11. Dogvills on August 29, 2017 at 12:57 am

Teaching kids to brush their teeth should be started early on. I agree that a catchy song will make them brush their teeth longer. When my kids were little, I made them brush to the tune of Jack and Jill, up to that part of “vinegar and brown paper.”

12. Theresa on August 28, 2017 at 6:44 pm

Toms of Maine has such yummy toothpaste flavor options, it’s never hard to get my girls to brush. I love your handy chart that will help keep them on the track to good oral hygiene!

13. Pam Wattenbarger on August 28, 2017 at 6:36 pm

I love the idea of this tooth brushing chart. My daughter loved using charts to mark off when she had done something.

14. RachelFerrucci (@RachelFerrucci) on August 28, 2017 at 6:32 pm

Getting the kids to brush their teeth was always a chore. The silly chart and song is a fun way to make them want to.

15. Myrah Duque on August 28, 2017 at 4:24 pm

Great method to get them into a good habit at an early age. Taking care of our teeth should be a priority.

16. Melissa Chapman on August 28, 2017 at 3:26 pm

My kids have always been pretty good about brushing and I feel good we have instilled this in them. I always loved Laurie Berkner so I know she can get kids to brush right.

17. Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle on August 28, 2017 at 1:28 pm

This is such a great idea! When my kids were little, I practically had to threaten them with death to get them to brush properly.

18. Liz Mays on August 28, 2017 at 12:33 pm

This is a great way to make brushing a fun event for the kids. The brushing song is really cute! I think kids are going to enjoy it!

19. slehan on August 23, 2017 at 10:33 pm

I’m glad that you give your kids experiences rather than toys for something like this.
    slehan at juno dot com

20. Dandi D on August 23, 2017 at 7:39 pm

This is great because I have a hard time getting my son to brush his teeth well.

21. Christina A. on August 22, 2017 at 8:20 pm

That is super cute–I love that idea! It’s great to reward your kids for doing something really positive and habit building!