socal places to hike Stonewall Peak

Family Hiking – 5 Games to Play While Hiking with Kids

I’m sharing CURAD® in my life as part of a sponsored series for Socialstars™ #CURAD #SoothePlus

family hiking family lifestyle kids hiking stonewall peak julian, ca

One of the things we love to do is spend time outdoors. With summer officially here it’s time to get outside with your kids and adventure is out there. We enjoy family hiking as part of our family lifestyle and find it has many benefits. Not only are we allowed to spend quality time making memories with our girls but it’s also a great way to keep everyone active.

A few weeks ago our family visited one of our favorite places in San Diego and went on a hike. The thing about kids hiking is that they can often get bored after several miles. It’s important to keep them having fun and engaged on the trail. We like to play several games and have found our kids love it and they stay engaged and excited.

Our Hike Up Stonewall Peak Julian, CA Cuyamaca Rancho State Park

5 Games to Play While Hiking with Kids

1. Trailhead ABC’S –  Our youngest is five and our oldest is twelve and all three of our girls find this game fun. Start with the letter A and the first person to find something with the letter A then moves on to the next letter.
  2. Family Photo Challenge – Have every member of the family use the camera to take photos. Get up close, and scenic photos and pick one winner for each category.
  3. Hide and Seek – Kids love a game of hide and seek and you can hide behind trees or bushes. Our kids love taking turns and finding one another. Set boundaries like only 5 steps form the trail for safety.
  4. Scavenger Hunt – Having a scavenger hunt is an ideal way to safely keep everyone entertained. With themes like finding shades of green, to finding a red flower or a heart shaped rock. Have fun with the hunt!
  5. Color The Trail – Have each child take turns finding different colors of the rainbow. Your kids will have an adventure and learn that the trail is actually a brightly colored place.

family hiking kids river green valley campground

Here in SoCal we have so many places to explore. From our local beaches to our coastal mountains there’s so much to do with your family outdoors. While safety is always first we still want our girls to be adventurous out there and so every once in a while there’s a stumble with a skinned knee on the trail. With small children it’s important to always stay prepared. We pack a backpack with plenty of supplies like water, snacks and first aid products.

curad gauze pads cvs

Staying prepared with the CURAD® SoothePlus™ product line it is infused with a natural soothing ARM & HAMMER™ Baking Soda.  This innovative product from CURAD® allows me to provide the best care possible while we are outdoors. From bandages to gauze my first aid kit includes products from CURAD®. This allows our kiddos, if they should trip and skin their knees to feel better and get back to having fun on the trail. You never know what adventure awaits and our youngest just didn’t want to miss sliding down the rocks in the creek. The CURAD® SoothePlus™ product line allowed her to easily find relief and get back to the fun!

swimming at green valley campground waterfalls Julian, CA Cuyamaca Rancho State Park

What are some fun games you like to play with your kids outdoors?

1. Kim H on July 17, 2017 at 4:10 pm

What fun ideas to making hiking more fun for the kids (and my husband too haha)

2. Janet W. on July 9, 2017 at 5:11 am

These are great ideas! Hide and Seek is definitely a favorite game to play for my grandsons!

3. Melanie on July 5, 2017 at 11:56 pm

We love hiking, well I should say my husband and I love hiking. The kids go, but it’s not their favorite. I know your games will turn them around. The older girls will love taking photos.

4. Nellie Blazina on July 5, 2017 at 10:30 pm

We love taking out kids hiking. Thanks for the hiking tips to make it even more fun.

5. Tara on July 5, 2017 at 7:50 pm

Scavenger hunts are always fun as is hide and seek. All of these games would be fun to do.

6. Stacie on July 5, 2017 at 7:48 pm

These all sound like great games to play while hiking. Trailhead ABC’s sounds like fun. A great way to get kids thinking.

7. Amy Desrosiers on July 5, 2017 at 6:44 pm

Sometimes when we are outdoors we do I spy while hiking. I think these are fun games to keep things interesting.

8. krystal on July 5, 2017 at 6:40 pm

I need to get outside and explore more! Hiking sounds like a lot of fun but Florida can be SO HOT this summer. I will have to wait til winter for hiking!

9. Jamie on July 5, 2017 at 6:10 pm

I love hiking with my girls and these games would make it so much fun! I will definitely try some next time we go!

10. Sarah on July 5, 2017 at 5:39 pm

Scavenger hunts are so much fun, especially when they take place outdoors in nature. One of our favorite things to do on hikes is to spot different colored objects, someone says a color, whoever finds an object that color selects the next color, but it can’t be a color that’s already been used.

11. Olivia S Douglass on July 5, 2017 at 5:12 pm

I cannot wait until my son is a little older so we can go hiking together. I had a spinal fusion 4 years ago and I am ready to get back out and be active.

12. Claudia Krusch on July 5, 2017 at 5:07 pm

Now that my Son is older we like to go hiking together. We just found a few new trails in our area we are excited to check out this summer.

13. Lisa Favre on July 5, 2017 at 4:01 pm

Scavenger hunts are my favorite! It is the perfect game to play when hiking and/or taking nature walks!

14. Liz Mays on July 5, 2017 at 3:22 pm

I’m going to keep these in mind when we go on walks and hikes this year. Trailhead ABC’s could be challenging and fun!

15. Kristen @ My 3 Little Kittens on July 5, 2017 at 1:40 pm

My youngest right now is constantly playing in the soil my husband is adding to the yard. Apparently dirt showers are a thing! Loved your post and your daughter is adorable!

16. Jeanette on July 5, 2017 at 1:38 pm

That looks like it was a fun hike for you and your daughter. I definitely like to do the scavenger hunt we were hiking. It makes it easier for them to get through it without me getting the “I’m bored” chorus over and over again!

17. Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle on July 5, 2017 at 12:19 pm

We love making walks in nature a scavenger hunt. It’s a great way to learn more about nature and to keep the kid occupied.

18. robin rue on July 5, 2017 at 12:13 pm

These are so fun! We love to go hiking 🙂

19. barbg on July 2, 2017 at 2:26 pm

Everyone thinks there life is just an ordinary life. But, once you are old like me and start looking way back, you’ll see you really did have a pretty extra ordinary life. 🙂

20. katherine on June 24, 2017 at 4:27 am

Great idea we love to hike as a family but sometimes the kids do get bored

21. shelly peterson on June 24, 2017 at 1:41 am

I never really thought to do these kind of games out on our adventures. They sound like fun.

22. Julie Wood on June 23, 2017 at 7:21 am

We love playing the Hide And Seek and scavenger hunt while hiking with the kids. They get a blast out of these games!