5 Simple Tips For Getting Over The Gym Jitters

I’m sharing #PrepH in my life as part of a Preparation H sponsored series for Socialstars™

When I first started at the gym I quickly realized that I was in fact, at the wrong gym. I realized first that I needed to find a gym that would not only push me to be my best but also keep my interest. Sometimes the hardest part of just getting active is making sure you’re excited and stimulated. That’s why I found things that I enjoyed doing at the gym. It started with a zumba class 7 years ago and since then it’s bene one of the most beneficial things I have ever decided to do for myself. Dancing not only makes me smile but it allows me to bond with others who like the same things and allows me to exercise in a way that brings me joy.

I was always very afraid of the weights in the gym and I was shocked to find out how many other people felt that same way at first. You have to find ways to overcome those gym jitters and you’ll find that you might actually….GASP…..enjoying your workout.

5 Simple Tips For Getting Over The Gym Jitters

1. Find Your Joy – Find something that bring you joy and be committing to going. Start with a class at a local gym and don’t be afraid to walk into a class by yourself. You’ll find that the people who know one another routinely are in class and that’s totally normal, you’ll quickly find that you fit right in!!
  2. If You Don’t Know, Ask – This was my thing, I was always too afraid to ask anyone for help. You’ll never get the things you don’t ask for so if you’re insure of how to use a machine ask someone. You’ll find loads of experience and people who are willing to help you right within your own gym. Your gym may also have services like trainers and they can help you get better quainter with your gym and the machines in it.
  3. Lift Weights – I know it sounds crazy but you should be using every area of the gym. If you are not you’re not working our properly. Get in and lift weights, never be too afraid to try something new!
  4. Write It Down – Half of knowing what you are doing at the gym or with lifting weights is knowing what to do. Write your workouts down. You can track progress and also know what to get done if you keep a record.
  5. It Get Embarrassing – Lets face it working out is embarrassing, between being careful jumping up and down too much or even those dreaded things that happen when you reach your max weight training like hemorrhoids. No one warns you about these things so officially consider yourself warned. Just know that unexpected things will happen and it’s okay. I actually laugh at myself often while I workout especially when I’m being lazy and struggling with my form. 😀

Lets face it, sometimes bettering ourselves is also a little embarrassing. Hemorrhoids are things that no one warns you about you know when it happens to you. Preparation H® Medicated Wipes can be used for gentle, everyday cleansing to reduce irritation. Keeping the area clean also reduces skin damage so using a product like Preparation H® Medicated Wipes is very helpful. They’re flushable and sooth and help to reduce irritation when you need it most.

You can find out more about hemorrhoids and learn more on the Preparation H website. Also stay connected with Preparation H on Facebook.

What are your favorite simple tips for getting over the gym jitters?

1. Brianne on February 27, 2017 at 4:45 am

These are excellent tips. I go through highs and lows at the gym all the time.

2. Reesa Lewandowski on February 25, 2017 at 1:52 pm

You’re right, no one talks about hemorrhoids! These wipes would be perfect for a new mom!

3. Tara on February 25, 2017 at 1:51 pm

I try to get to them gym when time allows it. I just recently started going back since I was so busy over the holiday season.

4. Stacie on February 25, 2017 at 1:50 pm

I haven’t been to the gym in a while. These are all great tips. It can be quite intimidating at times.

5. Toni | Boulder Locavore on February 25, 2017 at 1:57 am

Awesome tips! I have a friend who wants to go to the gym but is skeptical about it for so many reasons. Definitely sharing this with her!

6. Jocelyn @ Hip Mama's Place on February 24, 2017 at 11:56 pm

These are such great tips! Thanks! I always get the gym jitters!

7. Kristi on February 24, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Great tips and suggestions. I think the whole gym thing is soooo intimidating. Everyone seems to have all fancy clothes and nice hair. I feel like I need to buy a whole new wardrobe just to be there.

8. Ashleigh @ Dash of Evans on February 24, 2017 at 8:35 pm

It took me a while to find a stride at the gym too. I have found that classes are what I need to ensure I get a great workout in.

9. Liz Mays on February 24, 2017 at 8:28 pm

These are good ideas! I think being prepared and writing things down never hurts. Everyone at the gym wants to look and feel better so people shouldn’t be too nervous about it!

10. Olivia Douglass on February 24, 2017 at 8:00 pm

These are fantastic tips! I am always so nervous when I go to the gym and tend to do the same thing over and over. The one thing I hate to do is look stupid because I don’t know what I’m doing haha

11. Fariha on February 24, 2017 at 7:25 pm

I don’t know why it is so embarrassing to ask questions at a gym. It’s their job to help us but it still makes me hesitant. Thanks for the great tips.

12. Randa on February 24, 2017 at 7:24 pm

These are great tips. It can be really intimidating to walk into a gym for the first time!

13. Jeni Hawkins on February 24, 2017 at 5:03 pm

These are such great words of advice. Going to the gym can definitely be something that is nerve racking.

14. Jeanette on February 24, 2017 at 4:38 pm

Just started at a gym and the one that intimidates me the most is the weights. I think it’s a good idea to ask and also look stuff up so that you know a good routine to help you get the results you want.