Which Dog Is Best For Our Family?

This post is sponsored by Royal Canin. I am being compensated for helping spread the word about the AKC National Championship presented by Royal Canin™, but all opinions are my own. Royal Canin is not responsible for the content of this article.

running with german shepherd

Growing up I had several pets including two dogs so when it came time for me to live on my own with my now husband I wanted a dog pretty early on. Our first dog we picked up locally from a family who could no longer keep him. At the time I didn’t put much thought into what kind of dog would be best for us and our growing family. Then three years ago we did start to put real thought into what dog was best for our family. First I started to look up best family dogs for kids and we also looked at some thing our family really wanted. I wanted a dog who I could go running with and one who was big enough to play with our girls.

months old german shepherd puppy bruno

We fell in love with a fluffy little black German Shepard. We met him at 5 weeks old and went back to pick him up at 10 weeks when he was just ready to leave his mom. He was a fluffy little 10 lbs at the time and now he’s grown to over 120 lbs! We decided to name him Bruno after his Great Great Great Grandfather on his Dad’s side. We know this because when he was born he also came with all of his AKC Certifications and his bloodline was listed as well as the names of all the grandparents before him. Now that he’s almost three he’s grown into such a kind and loving dog who not only plays with our kids but is also my loyal running partner.

1.5 year old german male shepherd

Every year we find it really fun to watch the different sporting events for pets and this year we can’t wait to watch the AKC National Championship presented by Royal Canin™. This year the AKC National Championship presented by Royal Canin is returning to television on the Hallmark Channel. The three-hour special, featuring America’s most beloved dog breeds, will premiere on Monday, January 23, 2017 at 6-9 p.m. ET/PT.

The great thing about dog shows is that they can help you determine which dogs are suitable and for what purpose. During the dog shows judge look for things like how well the dogs’ skills contribute to the gene pools of their breeds. Dogs all have specific purposes and fill a specific need. The show can help us better understand the jobs that each breed does and can help us better understand why our dogs do the things that they do. Each dog is different and has is own needs so Royal Canin has developed breed-specific food to provide each breed with the best nutrition possible.

AKC National Championship presented by Royal Canin

Photo credit – Michael Simon

This year more than five thousand of the top national and international dogs are expected to compete in the AKC National Championship presented by Royal Canin, making it the largest dog show in the world of dog sports. This year the show will be anchored by AKC Vice President Gina DiNardo and sportscaster Jason Knapp and will feature special appearances by celebrity Jerry O’Connell.  This years show will have winners from each of the competition categories, highlights from the Agility and Dock Diving competitions, and some of America’s brightest up and coming Junior Showmanship handlers, culminating in the crowning of Best in Show.

We can’t wait to gather with our pets and watch the show!

german shepherd runny at akc event

Photo credit – Mark Jordan

1. Lee Orlian on January 30, 2017 at 12:54 pm

Great post! When we got our dog we were looking for a while. Then we picked one that would become a good friend to play with our daughters. We love our dog and he is a lot of fun to be around. I think that a dog show like this is a faster way to make an informed decision. Thank you for sharing!

2. Betsy Barnes on January 30, 2017 at 10:23 am

I love big dogs! We had a lab/chow mix many years ago. She was the most loving and loyal dog! I miss her, especially on cold nights, she loved to cuddle!

3. Cassie on January 27, 2017 at 2:06 pm

My favorite dog is the Bulldog but it’s an investment right from the start. They cost an arm and a leg to purchase but they are great family dogs.

4. Rosie on January 24, 2017 at 8:43 am

This is helpful info. I was just talking to a vet’s office today about finding information about selecting a dog. Good to know!

5. DogVills on January 23, 2017 at 9:19 am

there is no breed of dog when it comes to my family,! you have a great one! perfect for dog shows!

6. Heather Pfingsten on January 22, 2017 at 2:05 pm

We have two pups. We spent a lot of time researching and finding the perfect match for our family but in all reality, it’s all still a gamble. I am so thankful to have invited these two to join our home and can’t imagine life without them. Excited for the Twitter party, show, and years of love with our furbabies.

7. Melissa on January 21, 2017 at 10:28 am

I can’t imagine raising my kids without our two shih tzus! This show looks like such a great activity to enjoy with the family and a great way to determine what type of breed would be best suited for your kids!

8. Terri S. on January 21, 2017 at 9:03 am

Bruno is a beautiful dog! I love German Shepherd dogs and had one when I was a child. “Lightning” was the smartest, playful and loving dog I’ve ever had.
    Thanks for the info on the AKC National Championship show on Jan. 23rd. I’ll be watching it! 🙂

9. Julie Wood on January 21, 2017 at 7:14 am

It is so important to make sure that you know what type of dog you want to have for your family. Some dogs are more lively then others and some just like to relax. Knowing what type of dog to get is important.

10. Janet W. on January 21, 2017 at 5:38 am

I’ve heard great things about Royal Canin. It’s an excellent, healthy dog food.

11. Dawn Lopez on January 21, 2017 at 1:43 am

Your dog is awesome! Getting a new dog is such an important decision for a family and it’s good to know information about each breed so you can make the right choice.

12. Toni | Boulder Locavore on January 21, 2017 at 1:08 am

Your dog is super cute! This sounds like a great show for our fur babies!

13. Michele Brosius on January 20, 2017 at 9:42 pm

I cannot wait to watch the championships. I am always amazed at the showmanship these dogs maintain throughout the day. Your dog looks like it fits perfectly with your family.

14. Alicia on January 20, 2017 at 9:28 pm

Your dog is so cute! I’ve never watched this dog show before but now I want to check it out!

15. Amy Desrosiers on January 20, 2017 at 7:08 pm

Super cute pup! I love my pooch too and always try to feed her only the best!

16. Sherry on January 20, 2017 at 6:24 pm

We have always loved the larger breeds of dogs. Our dog is a lab mix and he is so fun loving. He is the perfect fit for our family.

17. gingermommyrants on January 20, 2017 at 6:08 pm

My kids would love it if we got a new dog. I would have to go for a small breed if we did get one.

18. Jeanette on January 20, 2017 at 12:10 pm

We just got a new dog ourselves. It’s took us a while to figure out what we wanted except for the fact that we wanted a bigger dog. It’ll be fun to see this dog show it. I like seeing what kind of breeds are out there.