Getting Ready For Cold & Flu Season

This is a sponsored post with the Global Hygiene Council.

brooklin sickIt’s hard to believe that cold and flu season is already upon us. Did you know that more than 3 million children under the age of 5 will die next year due to infectious disease? This is all because of poor hygiene, and we can prevent it. We need to be vigilant with our children about keeping ourselves and our environments clean.

The Global Hygiene Council has produced a short video called “Five Small Steps for Big Change.” The video goes through the steps that will help reduce the deaths of children due to poor hygiene. There are simple things we can all do to ensure the health of our children and below we are sharing some tips from the Global Hygiene Council.

fivesteps2The Global Hygiene Council suggests these five steps for keeping harmful infectious diseases at bay:

1.  Improve hygiene worldwide to reduce the 2.7 million deaths annually of children under one month old.
  2.  Proper hand washing with soap and clean water to reduce common infections and diarrheal deaths.
  3.  Proper food preparation and kitchen hygiene will reduce the number of food borne illness and deaths.
  4.  Clean all frequently touched surfaces. As cold and flu viruses can live on hard surfaces for up to 48 hours.
  5. Improving general hygiene will reduce infections that antibiotics are needed for. Antibiotic resistance is predicted to be the cause of death of over 10 million lives by 2050.

These are simple things we can be doing daily to improve the health of our families and communities. If we all start now there will be a greater effect globally. Let’s save the future of our children and keep clean!

Just check out this video –

You can learn more on the Global Hygiene Council website.

What are some ways you are helping your kids be prepared for cold and flu season?

1. lena on November 7, 2016 at 10:45 am

Sometime you don’t even know where it comes from – it shows up quick and refuses to leave for weeks going from one person tot he other :\

2. Reesa Lewandowski on November 5, 2016 at 3:31 pm

5 days into November and we are already dealing with this! I really need to stock my house up on necessities.

3. Melissa@thestatenislandfamily.com on November 5, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Thanks for the reminder to get that vitamin c! We always forget! And yes to the hand washing!!!!

4. Tara on November 5, 2016 at 10:16 am

I make sure my daughter is taking her vitamins to help boost her immune system as well as eating healthy. Proper hand washing is also very important to help fight germs.

5. Aimee Smith on November 4, 2016 at 9:50 pm

Reminding my kids to wash their hands a thousand times a day is worth it! I hate this season!

6. Kelly Hutchinson on November 4, 2016 at 9:26 pm

These are such good tips. The cold and flu season always seems to hit our house hard.

7. Jocelyn Cañasa Brown on November 4, 2016 at 9:25 pm

Thanks for the preparedness tips. The cold and flu season has already hit our house!

8. Kathy on November 4, 2016 at 8:22 pm

These are all great tips. This time of year is horrible for getting sick. My daughters and I are all sick with colds right now.

9. Tania on November 4, 2016 at 8:16 pm

Cold and flu season is the worst. I agree with all of your tips. We are constantly washing hands around our house.

10. Alicia on November 4, 2016 at 7:33 pm

These are great tips! I’m glad this organization is working on reducing child mortality. I didn’t realize so many children died every year because of bad hygiene.

11. Amy Desrosiers on November 4, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Keeping our family’s hands clean is really important to us at all times. I know my kids got into the habit from a really young age.

12. Kim @ What's That Smell on November 4, 2016 at 5:46 pm

I love the winter but hate colds and flu. I teach my kids to watch their hands more often, they take more vitamin c and I encourage them to eat better.

13. Oriana Romero on November 4, 2016 at 4:06 pm

I am not looking forward to cold and flu season. I stocked up on all the essentials.

14. Ann Bacciaglia on November 4, 2016 at 3:58 pm

We really focus on hand washing here. We have a song the kids have to sing to help them time how long they need to be washing for.

15. Dawn gibson-thigpen on November 4, 2016 at 1:54 pm

i used to catch so many colds when i lived in michigan. ugh. this season is the worse. its awesome you are preparing now.

16. Jeanette on November 4, 2016 at 12:19 pm

We already started this in our house this past week. My son has been fighting a cold all week and I am praying we don’t get it also! I need to get more vitamin C in our diet!

17. Colleen Lanin on November 4, 2016 at 11:40 am

Oh man. Cold and flu season is the worst. My kids are walking germ incubators. When the weather starts to turn, I up the vitamin C, and I become the hand washing police.