3 Simple Tips for Traveling this Holiday Season with Kids

This is a partnered post with Disney/Pixar, all opinions are my own.

traveling with kids in car dvd player roadtrip

We enjoy traveling with our girls. You’ll often find us on weekends taking trips and especially during the holidays when going to visit friends and family. One thing I have learned after having three girls is that I have to stay prepared. Especially as we start to travel for the holidays and spend more time in the car.

In the past I wasn’t always prepared and I’ve learned lessons the hard way. It’s kind of like in one of our kids’ favorite movies, Finding Dory. The movie features Dory, who seems unprepared for every adventure she faces but she still seems to have a great time. finding dory travel snack word search

3 Simple Tips for Traveling this Holiday Season with Kids

• Keep Them Occupied – I’m a big fan of keeping your kids busy before they can get bored. Pack fun games and puzzles like this Finding Dory Word Search.
  • Pack Their Favorite Things –Keep their favorite stuffed animals, books and movies on hand. We have a DVD player in our car which makes it easy to keep kiddos entertained with their favorite movies.
  • Be Prepared – Always be prepared with extra clothing, snacks and drinks. Also know your route and plan your stops along the way.

I created this fun word search inspired by Dory’s own journey home in Finding Dory. The word search is just a fun way to keep your little ones occupied while traveling. We had so much fun seeing this movie in theaters so we were so excited that; in time for traveling for the holidays, Disney/Pixar’s Finding Dory is coming to now on Blu-ray™, Digital HD & Disney Movies Anywhere.

finding dory word search for christmas

Staying prepared is so important.  So is making sure you have snacks on hand. Simple crackers and fun crunchy snacks will keep little hands occupied. I made ours with a Finding Dory theme, which goes perfectly with the movie. It’s the simple things that keep kids busy but, even better, make memories. Isn’t that what traveling during the holidays is all about? That’s what I learned to appreciate about Dory in this movie, how she really appreciates her family. That sense of coming together under any circumstance is one we can all relate to.

Be sure to get your copy of Finding Dory on Blu-ray™, Digital HD & Disney Movies Anywhere. You can also get a FREE* Digital Graphic Novel with your purchase of Finding Dory.

What are your best tips for traveling with kids this holiday season?

1. Melisasource on November 17, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Be prepared pretty much covers it all. In order to have any kind of success, be ready for as much as possible.

2. Tonya on November 16, 2016 at 8:05 pm

I agree! It’s so important to be prepared when you’re traveling with kids. Keeping them occuppied on a road trip or on the plane is so important. Bored kids do not make happy travelers.

3. Tonia @TheChattyMomma on November 16, 2016 at 8:42 am

Our DVD player and electronics go a long way. We take road trips every year and it’s great entertainment for the kids.

4. Janel - Simple Sweet Recipes on November 16, 2016 at 9:35 am

I’m totally the type that normally limits tech time. But anything goes on a trip! Movies, Tablet, you name it!

5. Jeanine on November 16, 2016 at 9:32 am

Wonderful tips! We aren’t traveling this holiday season as far as I know but if we do these will be great. Traveling with 7 kids could be a bit much for us!

6. Ann Bacciaglia on November 16, 2016 at 9:18 am

We always pack a ton of snacks when we go on a road trip. We have a few fun car games we like to play.

7. Brianne on November 16, 2016 at 9:01 am

These are excellent tips and will def keep these in mind for when we are traveling next month. Snacks are always #1 on my list!

8. Alicia on November 16, 2016 at 8:00 am

Can you believe that I haven’t seen Finding Dory yet?! May be time to have a movie night to watch it and let my kids try your word search 🙂

9. Toni | BoulderLocavore.com on November 16, 2016 at 5:11 am

These are great tips! My kids love traveling on holidays. We will use these tips for sure!

10. Dawn Lopez on November 16, 2016 at 12:57 am

Lots of yummy snacks makes a world of difference for our family. The Word Search is a good idea too though. Sometimes we do Mad Libs and that can be good for some laughs to pass the time. 😉

11. Dawn McAlexander on November 15, 2016 at 11:07 pm

I have always enjoyed word search puzzles like this. I really think they are not only a great way to pass the time, but also a great way to exercise your brain.

12. Brianne on November 15, 2016 at 10:23 pm

These tips are simple, but so true! You covered everything. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

13. Kristi on November 15, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Great tips. I am sooo excited about this movie coming out in stores. It will make a great stocking stuffer. Our girls love to read in the car, thankfully no car sickness here.

14. Reesa Lewandowski on November 15, 2016 at 8:15 pm

Being prepared is so important for car trips! It can lead to a happy car ride or a miserable one LOL!

15. Amy Desrosiers on November 15, 2016 at 8:14 pm

This is such a cute snack for kids. We do not have anywhere to travel to this year because all our family is literally on the same street or within 5 miles.

16. Lisa Favre on November 15, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Travelling with kids is never an easy task. I love your suggestions!

17. Pam on November 15, 2016 at 6:22 pm

We are actually on the road with my granddaughter right now. These are great tips.

18. Melissa Potvin on November 15, 2016 at 6:22 pm

These are great tips, I love that word search puzzle! My kids use to have to have games and snacks for even just an hour ride haha.

19. Diana Rambles on November 15, 2016 at 6:21 pm

We missed this in the theater, so I can’t wait to get it on DVD! Sounds like a fun road trip.

20. Marcie W. on November 15, 2016 at 6:15 pm

My kids are used to road trips, yet will still be a bother if I slack on preparations. I think watching Finding Dory during the ride would be just the thing to keep them occupied.

21. Jamie Italiane on November 15, 2016 at 2:51 pm

I haven’t had a chance to watch this movie yet, but am really looking forward to it. Maybe we will have to try on our upcoming road trip to New Hampshire!

22. Debra on November 15, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Great tips! We like to play games in the car. We play I Spy or the License Plate game. Lately the kids have been into Name that Tune – where we’ll sing a few bars of a popular song for them to guess!

23. Jen Rattie on November 15, 2016 at 1:39 pm

These are excellent tips. Although, in my case, I also need to bring along catch poles, so I can try to keep the kids from doing any permanent harm to each other. LOL

24. Colleen Lanin on November 15, 2016 at 1:37 pm

I love that word search. My kids love to do things like word searches and Jr. crosswords, so I know they’ll love this.

25. Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle on November 15, 2016 at 1:35 pm

These are excellent tips. Over the years I’ve found that bored and hungry children are actually demons with cute faces. LOL

26. Catherine Sargent on November 15, 2016 at 1:17 pm

These are all great tips. We always brought a portable DVD player for our son when we traveled.