25 Days 25 Ways to Care by Create the Good

This post brought to you by Create the Good. The content and opinions expressed below are that of Our Ordinary Life.

As we head into the holidays I want nothing more than to create good all around me. undefined

Create the Good by AARP is currently running a contest for 25 Days 25 Ways to Care. If you know someone that is making a difference in their community by caring for others, you can nominate them. All you have to do is create a video highlighting your nominee’s acts of exceptional care and enter your submission on their website. Share your submission on social media so your nominee can get votes. Each day a nominee will be entered into a random drawing for gift cards up to $500! The nominee in the winning video will receive $2,500 donation to a charity of their choice.

I’ve know many caretakers over my lifetime. They are the people that work the hardest and get recognized the least. They do it because they love to help others. A caretaker can be the nurse that’s been caring for your ill parent or your favorite teacher or sports coach.

I have a friend that took care of her mother for 2 years while doctors were trying to make decisions about what to do. Her mom was a very active woman that thought she just had a minor injury until she couldn’t get out of bed one morning. After months of doctors’ appointments, physical therapy and countless MRIs, they finally decided to do exploratory surgery. That is, until the insurance company denied it. Imagine being in constant pain and unable to walk. How does one drop everything to take care of another person? This was an easy decision for my friend as the person in need was her mother. It takes a strong person to have to watch someone in constant pain and really have no options for how to live life. Fast forward 2 years to when her mom’s surgery was finally approved because of a tiny blip on an MRI that showed she had a tear on her hip that was causing all of the pain. The doctor was able to repair the tear in the joint and had her mom up and walking within a few weeks! Thankfully, this story has a happy ending. Her mom is now back to her active lifestyle and free of pain, and my friend has a full heart knowing that she was able to make a difference for her mom.

Here is a helpful video to show you the best way to submit your caretakers for the 25 Days 25 Ways to Care contest.

Please share your stories with Create the Good and nominate a caregiver that you know. Be sure to check out the Contest Rules

Visit Sponsors Site

1. Kelly Hutchinson on November 17, 2016 at 1:57 pm

I love this. It is so refreshing to see such a positive initiative like this. We had a similar situation with my mom as your friend did with her mom. So scary and frustrating.

2. Janis @MommyBlogExpert on November 15, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Thanks for sharing this great contest. Gets us all thinking of all the ways we can for others.

3. Tara on November 15, 2016 at 11:25 am

This is such a great campaign. It’s important to give recognition to those who go above and beyond.

4. Melissa @ The Staten Island Family on November 15, 2016 at 8:34 am

What a lovely campaign! It is so important that we honor those who go above and beyond to care for our loved ones! Thanks for sharing this with us!

5. Nancy @ whispered inspirations on November 15, 2016 at 7:58 am

Love this! What a great way to show love to your community!

6. Hali @daytodayMOMents on November 15, 2016 at 3:12 am

So easy to do something simple and make a difference! Never heard of it before, thanks for sharing here!

7. Toni | BoulderLocavore.com on November 15, 2016 at 1:20 am

What an awesome contest to show how much we appreciate those people showing their genuine care. Thanks for sharing this! And a great reminder to thanks those who show their care to our community!

8. Brent Arceneaux on November 14, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Such a great program and an amazing way to give back to those who give so much of themselves to others!

9. Kerri Jablonski on November 14, 2016 at 9:53 pm

Our caretakers are so important. It’s good to let them know we appreciate them. Thank you for sharing this.

10. Sarah on November 14, 2016 at 9:45 pm

I had never heard of this group, but so glad I have now!! Thank you so much. This is awesome

11. Alicia on November 14, 2016 at 9:45 pm

I love this. What a great way to recognize someone who does good in the community by taking care of others.

12. Liz Mays on November 14, 2016 at 9:29 pm

I really like that you can nominate someone who is doing good things in your community! Heroes like your friend deserve some recognition.

13. Claudia Krusch on November 14, 2016 at 8:24 pm

I had not heard of this before!! What a great way to spread good in our world, truly inspiring!

14. Adelina Priddis on November 14, 2016 at 8:20 pm

What a fantastic campaign! So many good people deserving out there. I hope to see more positive things like this throughout the coming months

15. Reesa Lewandowski on November 14, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Right now, we all need a little extra good!!

16. Patty on November 14, 2016 at 6:47 pm

What a wonderful initiative. It is really nice to reward people who do things so selflessly for others. Thanks for letting me know about this.

17. Amy Desrosiers on November 14, 2016 at 7:13 pm

My mother in law took great care of both her mother and father before they passed. She would be perfect to nominate as a caregiver.

18. Kim @ What's That Smell? on November 14, 2016 at 6:11 pm

This is such a wonder way to acknowledge the special people who go above and beyond in our lives. Such a great campaign!

19. Robin Rue on November 14, 2016 at 7:02 pm

I try to teach my kids that even the smallest things can create a whole lot of good. I love all of the ideas and the cause.

20. Ash Sears on November 14, 2016 at 7:01 pm

This is such an awesome thing. There are so many ways to create good that are just so simple.

21. Becca Wilson on November 14, 2016 at 6:59 pm

With everything going on lately, this is perfect! The world could definitely use a little bit of good right about now.

22. Shauna on November 14, 2016 at 5:39 pm

I remember my Grandma living with my Aunt until the bitter end. Those last couple of years were tough on them both. Looking back, I am so thankful my Aunt was strong enough to be there

23. Vera Sweeney on November 14, 2016 at 5:03 pm

I had not heard of this promotion before!! What a great way to spread good in our world, it can be so easy and painless to do.

24. Jeanette on November 14, 2016 at 11:17 am

He such a good idea! There’s so much that in this world that sometimes being reminded that there is good is the best way to go. I try to follow good and give back to others as I can. It doesn’t take much all you need is a little time.

25. Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle on November 14, 2016 at 10:03 am

I love this so much. There is a definite shortage of good will these days. It was the case even before all of this election cycle craziness. We need to do everything we can to make the world a happier, more loving place to live.