Night Cereal: Chilaquiles Style

Brought to you by got milk? Food Loves Milk

Living in California my whole life Mexican food has very much been a part of my life. Now that I’m older with a family of my own our girls are also growing up with the same dishes that I loved growing up. One of my favorite dishes is Chilaquiles. The chips, and spice and smooth creama on top, it’s just one of my favorite Mexican dishes and now I hope to inspire my girls to enjoy the same things that I did as a kid.

One thing I always had with meals growing up was milk. There’s nothing like a cold glass of milk and it’s just another way that I make sure my girls stay healthy and strong. With our large family in our house there are some favorites when it comes to meals. I always know to have plenty of milk and cereal on hand. Milk Night Cereal (2)

Except this week I wanted to have a little fun with my girls. Our youngest loves cereal and milk, so I wanted to let her help me create a fun recipe that’s perfect for eating a night. Night cereal, a delicious new way to discover flavors and of course enjoy with cold milk. So with her leading the way we let the kids takeover the kitchen and create a dinner inspired night cereal recipe. They decided to remake one of their favorite savory dinner meals, Chilaquiles.  Milk Night Cereal (3)

Night Cereal: Chilaquiles Style

Ingredients –

• 1 cup of cold milk
  • 1 cup of Kellogg’s Corn Flakes
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1/4 cup of black beans
  • 1 TSP crushed red pepper
  • 2 TSP cilantro

Milk Night Cereal (6)

This recipe is so simple and delicious easily. It’s flavorful because it has a little spice and it’s slightly sweet because the milk really adds the smooth finish at the end. All of the flavors mix togethers really well, and our girls easily related it to one of our favorites dishes, Chilaquiles. Milk Night Cereal (8)Just add the milk! Milk Night Cereal (5)

Food loves milk and the milk is what brings this dish together. It’s really the perfect night cereal and a simple way to enjoy all of our favorite flavors. Milk Night Cereal (7)I want to teach my girls to not be afraid and to try new things. I really think this is a unique take on cereal and there are so  many different ways you can enjoy cereal and milk. Milk Night Cereal (10)Every bite has flavor and texture and the milk is the best addition to the heat from the crushed red pepper. Our kiddos felt like their culinary creation was a success and it is a fun way to get them excited about trying new flavors and ingredients. Milk Night Cereal (11)

I’d say we had a lot of fun reimagining the ordinary bowl of milk and cereal, and I really think our girls had fun coming up and trying these flavors together. The milk really was the highlight too!

Be sure to check out all of the delicious and unqiue recipes from Got Milk California on Pinterest.

What are some unique ways you could reimagine cereal and milk?

1. shelly peterson on September 18, 2016 at 4:40 pm

This is for sure a different way to eat cereal. It might be good. I will have to try it out.

2. Tracey on August 27, 2016 at 5:12 am

I have never seen anything like this! So interesting….I would try it out but I don’t think my husband would be as daring.

• Kristin on August 30, 2016 at 10:32 am

🙂

3. rosey on August 23, 2016 at 11:43 pm

That could def. be a great new way to use milk. I love that you got so creative with it!

• Kristin on August 30, 2016 at 10:34 am

Thanks!

4. Ora Lee Gurr on August 23, 2016 at 9:11 pm

This is such a creative way to make cereal part of dinner. The most creative I’ve been lately is mixing crunchy cereal with oatmeal. Your recipe will be a real hit for dinner at our house. Thanks for sharing.

• Kristin on August 30, 2016 at 10:33 am

Try it, its whats for dinner! 🙂

5. Dawn McAlexander on August 23, 2016 at 12:01 pm

That looks way better and healthier than any store bought cereal that I have ever seen. I am betting it tastes awesome. I would love to try it.

6. Kita Bryant on August 23, 2016 at 9:18 am

My family is from Arizona so I know about the Mexican food thing. I’m usually pretty picky about my Mexican food as well.

7. Ann Bacciaglia on August 23, 2016 at 8:53 am

I have never thought to use these ingredients to change up my cereal. I will have to give it a try. I usually add berries and nuts.

• Kristin on August 30, 2016 at 10:33 am

Changing it up!

8. Nikki Wayne on August 23, 2016 at 7:32 am

Oh, this is my kind of cereal! I want to try this at home, I am so sure my hubby will like this.

9. Candy O on August 23, 2016 at 6:44 am

This is definitely different. Wow, I’m not sure I’d try it but it’s a very pretty dish.

10. Melissa @ The Staten Island family on August 23, 2016 at 5:53 am

What a yummy way to reimagine Milk in a new and unique way. Can’t wait to try this recipe with my kids

11. Jeanine on August 23, 2016 at 4:11 am

Wow now this is interesting! I’ve never heard of anything like this before, I know for a fact my husband would be all over this! He loves stuff like this, how very neat!

12. Amanda Love on August 23, 2016 at 3:09 am

This is the first time I’ve heard of this dish and it’s a great idea for kids who want a little snack at night! I’m sure it’s healthy and packed with flavor! I love that there are avocado slices there!

13. Kristi on August 23, 2016 at 2:51 am

What a great idea. Never would have thought of it. My daughter loves to try different things, I keep wondering if she might be a chef… I am going to show her this.

14. Annemarie LeBlanc on August 22, 2016 at 11:27 pm

Now that’s interesting! Red pepper flakes and milk. I don’t know how this two would blend together but you got me so intrigued with the recipe that I am more than willing to try it.

15. Nicole Escat on August 22, 2016 at 10:40 pm

I’m going to try this yummy and healthy at the same time.

16. Brandy on August 22, 2016 at 7:59 pm

I never would have thought to use my cereal like this! I would love to try this sometime!

17. Theresa on August 22, 2016 at 7:43 pm

Well that’s a different take on cereal! I never thought to spice it up like this, but I am sure I would love it!

18. felicia on August 22, 2016 at 7:41 pm

I would have never thought of this in a million years. However, now I want to go try it!

19. Liz Mays on August 22, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Oh this is a really cool idea. I’d love to see how those flavors work together! Adding the avocado was a great decision.

20. Lisa Joy Thompson on August 22, 2016 at 6:51 pm

What a creative combination of ingredients! Kudos to you mom for teaching your children to experiment and try new food combos!

21. Toni | BoulderLocavore.com on August 22, 2016 at 5:42 pm

What a great idea! I never tried this before but it sounds yummy to me! Can’t wait to try!

22. Brianne on August 22, 2016 at 5:11 pm

I’ve never thought to try cereal for dinnertime, and we do have “brinner” all the time. I think my kids would love this!

23. MJ.L on August 22, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Wow this is really different! I would have never thought of adding those ingredients. I will have to try!

24. Lisa Favre on August 22, 2016 at 4:59 pm

What a great breakfast idea. Definitely something I would have never thought of.

25. Veronica Solomon on August 22, 2016 at 4:55 pm

Hmmmm. That is an interesting combination. I think I just may try that. Avocados are my favorite

26. Pam on August 22, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Wow, this is an interesting way to use cereal. I enjoy chilaquiles.

27. Chavonne Harvey on August 22, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Wow I would have never imagined to put some of these ingredients together but I’m glad it turned out good. I like being creative and trying new recipes. I’ll have to come up with some ideas, I’m sure the Got Milk California pinterest page will inspire my creativity.

28. Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle on August 22, 2016 at 1:20 pm

That’s interesting. I’ve never seen this particular take on cereal before, but I love all the ingredients. I can’t wait to give it a try.