Affordable Kids Smart Phones For Staying In Touch After School

My oldest just started middle school and having phones for kids is important as a parent. Being in sixth grade and having her own smartphone is ok with us as parents. I have been told by some “why does she need her own phone” or “isn’t she is too young to need her own phone?” I asked her yesterday after her first day of sixth grade if other kids had their own phone and she said many do.

back to school 2016 kaila and brooklin

For our community is does make sense because we do not use school buses to get our kids to school. We have to wake up and take our kids to school and this year they both go to separate schools meaning 2 drop-offs and 2 pick-ups, 5 days a week. With our new middle schooler, she can meet us up the road instead of us waiting in the long line to get her from the pickup area. Many kids do the same and also many kids walk home making phones for kids important.

Being at this age she is responsible and we want her to have experience with modern technology. With many jobs, business, and uses with the modern smartphone it doesn’t hurt they know how these mini computers work. When I was a kid I was all over my x386 based home PC learning and playing games. Just because they are girls doesn’t mean they don’t love computers. Plus what kids do not like to have fun with selfies!

mom and daughter taking selfie Phones for kids is just an extra way for them to learn about technology. Plus it makes it super easy for us as parents to get in touch with our children when they are at activities or friends, during and after school. With the GPS tracking abilities available, we can also keep an eye on where our kid exactly is, make us as parents with daughters feel more secure.

Smart phones for kids is not as costly as it once used to be. No need to get locked into a yearly or even 2-year contract. Straight Talk Wireless is a super affordable smartphone provider without the contracts. These easy to activate phones come in all price ranges including free phones for kids. Just get your Straight Talk phone and SIM card and follow the directions to set it up. Super easy. At such low price points, if they lose it, not costly to replace it.

straight talk wireless phones in stores

Plan pricing is simple. No fees for overages.

• $45 for 30-day plan includes unlimited talk and text and 5 GB of high speed data. Data is still available after 5 GB, but data speed is reduced to as low as 2G until next 30-day cycle. *At 2G speeds, the functionality of some data applications, such as streaming audio or video may be affected. Please refer always to the latest Terms and Conditions of Service at StraightTalk.com.
  • Straight Talk’s $55/10GB Plan includes unlimited talk and text with 10GB of high speed data per 30-day cycle. After 10GB, data speed reduced to as low as 2G until next 30-day cycle. *At 2G speeds, the functionality of some data applications, such as streaming audio or video may be affected. Please refer always to the latest Terms and Conditions of Service at StraightTalk.com.

REDUCE SMARTPHONE DATA USE WITH WI-FI

5GB and 10GB of data is a lot of video streaming, online game playing, music and more. It is really easy to reduce data use by making sure your child is connected to Free or Home Wi-Fi. While our kids are home they phones connect to the home Wi-Fi avoiding their plan data use.

Maybe you are sick of overpriced contracts or poor service, Straight Talk is covered using America’s Largest and Most Dependable Networks. You can even Bring Your Own Phone to Straight Talk. Straight Talk’s Bring Your Own Phone plan requires a compatible, unlocked phone, activation kit and Straight Talk service plan. User may need to change the phone’s Access Point Name Settings.

phones for kids smartphones for back to school

Save money and take care of those Back to School needs with the Straight Talk LG Premier LTE smartphone at Walmart on rollback for $99. Having inexpensive phones for kids is important not only to keep in touch but there are a wide range of tracking options and abilities to know where your kid is at. Why not make it super easy to stay in touch during and after school?

Do You Let Your Kids Have Their Own Phone?

I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

1. Ash Sears on August 15, 2016 at 12:19 pm

This seems like such a great option to be able to check in and just make sure that everything is okay.

2. Reesa Lewandowski on August 15, 2016 at 12:18 pm

Staying connected after school is more important than ever. A phone with limited capability may be the best option for us.

3. Elizabeth Lampman on August 14, 2016 at 7:10 pm

My kids are too young to have a phone right now but I would certainly let them have one when they are older. I think phones are a great way to stay in touch with kids during the day.

4. Amy on August 13, 2016 at 3:23 pm

This is even a great option for someone like me who is typically always home but does not have their own cell. I will have to check this out in person!

5. Kelly Hutchinson on August 13, 2016 at 3:41 am

These look so great for kids. I always worry about keeping in touch with the younger kids. Thanks for suggestion.

6. Cathi Crismon on August 12, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Sounds like an awesome pay as you go plan. This is a great deal for large families with older kids.

7. Kathy on August 12, 2016 at 8:04 pm

I still think my girls are just a bit to young for phones. I’ll check these out for when they’re older though. They’re only 5 and 7 right now. I know they’d like to have their own phones though. I do have old phones I let them play games on, but that’s it.

8. Nancy @ whispered inspirations on August 12, 2016 at 8:04 pm

I love how technology has changed over the years! Always great to keep in touch with your kids not only for fun but also for emergencies. My daughter has had a phone for the past 2 years and it gives me a peace of mind that she can contact me if she needs to stay at school for sports or if she needs to get picked up at a certain time.

9. Kimberly Grabinski on August 12, 2016 at 7:55 pm

My son is 12 and has had his own phone for 2 years now. My daughter is 8 but probably won’t get one as early as he did simply because he has always been much more careful and takes better care of his things. i love being able to reach him when I need to and having him check in so I know he is safe.

10. Kristi on August 12, 2016 at 7:40 pm

We waited until our girls were in middle school before they got phones. At that point they were after school and at events where we needed to be able to reach them. This sounds like a great solution for kids.

11. Vera Sweeney on August 12, 2016 at 5:34 pm

It really is amazing how much they can need a phone at such a young age. This sounds like a great deal, so important to teach to conserve data.

12. Danielle on August 12, 2016 at 4:56 pm

Our oldest is only 4 y/o so we still have a little while before he’ll need his own phone, but things have changed since we were kids and we’ll likely give him his own when he gets to middle school as well. I like the idea of being able to get in contact with him when I want to and vice versa.

13. Toni | BoulderLocavore.com on August 12, 2016 at 2:24 pm

I think it’s a necessity for kids to have their own phone. Staying connected with them all the time is important to me. And this smartphones are such great deals.

14. Meagan on August 12, 2016 at 1:53 pm

I’ve been wondering what age/how to go about cell phones for my kids. This seems like such the perfect option!

15. Heather @ Kraus House Mom on August 12, 2016 at 12:37 pm

My kids are 10, 9 and 8 and they have been asking for phones forever. I told them they can get their own phones when they go to middle school. A few months ago I did buy them a pay as go phone because we no longer have a house phone and they were giving out my number to their friends. This way they could give out that number instead of mine.

16. Shauna on August 12, 2016 at 12:16 pm

You know, my Little Man has been begging me to get him a phone. This would be great to stay in touch with him when he heads to his friends house after school. Thanks for the info…

17. Sherry on August 12, 2016 at 12:00 pm

My daughter got her phone when she was in middle school. She had to walk to and from school and was nice to be able to reach her when needed and vice versa. My son will be able to get one next summer once he reaches middle school as well.

18. patty on August 12, 2016 at 11:59 am

It’s important to stay connected in this day and age and it’s great that there are affordable options. I don’t have children but I’m sure it eases the minds of those that do that there are some available.