It’s hard to believe we are already talking back to school but here we are. It’s time to get ready for for that exciting first day of school. Everything is new and exciting, it’s just a big time of year for our children. Why not spend some time together in these last days of summer and make some fun treats to get ready for back to school.
This recipe will yield a 9 x 13 pan (approximately 6 apples)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
Two 10 oz. bags of mini marshmallows
10 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup ready to spread frosting (I used pink cherry but you can use any color or flavor because it will be covered by red sprinkles)
Optional: cookie pop sticks
1. Line a 9×13 pan with foil and spray with Pam. Set aside.
2. In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat.
3. And the marshmallows to the melted butter, stirring constantly.
4. Once the marshmallows are melted, remove from heat and stir in the cereal and salt until well-coated.
5. Using a rubber spatula (spray with Pam ), transfer the cereal mixture to prepared pan and press down firmly and evenly.
6. Allow the Rice Krispies to cool in the pan completely.
7. Once cooled, cut out 6 apple shapes with an apple cookie cutter.
8. Apply a thin layer of ready to spread frosting on each apple shape.
9. Sprinkle red sprinkles on the apple.
10. Sprinkle brown sprinkles on the stem.
11. Add a mint leaf by pressing firmly into the apple (the marshmallow helps it stick).
12. Optional: add cookie pop sticks to make red apple Rice Krispie pops.