Letting Kids Be Creative With Toys, Apps, & Their Imaginations

This is a sponsored post with Dumb Ways JR and The Motherhood. All opinions are from my own experiences.

Creative play for children is so important for them at a young age. With our kids being young and full of energy it is important that they learn to keep themselves occupied. I can say I think playing pretend is one of my preferred ways of play for them.

Kids these days have so many things grabbing for their attention. Like myself they are also drawn to tech and certain toys. It’s understandable because they have created their own little worlds with their favorite toys and kid friendly apps we let them play.

kids playing with toys

Being a parent to a now 4-year-old and almost 7-year-old we have a fairly good idea as parents of the latest trends and toys for kids. Not hard to go into a toy store and look around or check for new fun apps. No matter what, it really always comes down to what a child wants to create in their mind.

An easy way to keep them busy on the go and say maybe during a trip is with The Dumb Ways JR Boffo’s Breakfast app and Dumb Ways JR Loopy’s Train Set app for iPhone and Android smartphones. It is an easy and fun way that allows them to be creative. We like to keep our kids up on tech items and for some reason kids these days are drawn to these little devices called smartphones and tablets like iPads. Not sure where they could get the idea.

Our girls loved being chef in Dumb Ways JR Boffo’s Breakfast. With control of the entire cooking process and having a Boffo, a Dumb Ways character, try out their fun and thoughtful creations. They get full control over the process from selecting ingredients, to prepping them, mixing, cooking, and of course seasoning and fun toppings to finish it all off.playing dumb ways jr loopy trainsBrooklin thought it was so much fun picking out foods and cutting them, mixing, and cooking them up. What really got her was waiting for Boffo’s reaction to her creation. From feeding him simple things like a chili or creating a huge plate with the 20 ingredients, Boffo will react by liking it with happy gestures or not liking it so much represented by whacky faces. Brooklin enjoyed getting different reactions from him.

What’s great about apps like Dumb Ways JR Boffo’s Breakfast is that our kids can keep themselves thinking and having fun. While we promote boredom, we also want them to have fun. If they are going to have a desire to learn about tech, might as well let them learn how putting things together create new things. Plus, they learn dexterity with all the tapping, stirring, mixing and swiping.

DWJ_Web_Banner_Landing_Page_603x292mm_D1The Dumb Ways to Die creation came about from a PSA in 2012 to teach safety around trains, train stations/platforms, and at crossings. The purpose was to share that taking risks can have serious consequences but delivered in an entertaining way but to gory for younger viewers. Dumb Ways JR was created to teach kids ages 3-7 that safety can be fun. No gore, just silly fun and safety education.

The Dumb Ways JR Boffo’s Breakfast app :Boffo's Breakfast banner

The Dumb Ways JR Loopy’s Train Set appLoopy's Train Set banner

So this summer get your kids out of the summer boredom and have a little fun, get creative by far this is our girls favorite new game to play, and with so many things to do I can easily see why. They just keep consistently keeping our kids on their toes, laughing and engaging with the games. It’s fun to see them having so much fun creating.

What other easy creative ways do kids play?

1. CourtneyLynne on June 17, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Omg what a fun app!!! I would only imagine my daughter would love this. Definitely going to look into it for her 🙂

2. Eloise on June 17, 2016 at 8:06 pm

seems like a good app to have for kids… I also agree to let kids be creative when playing, imagination is awesome.

3. Claudia Krusch on June 17, 2016 at 4:03 pm

These apps are awesome!!! I think embracing technology is important, but balance is the most important thing!

4. Lynndee on June 17, 2016 at 8:00 am

That looks like a cute and fun app. My little niece and little nephew love playing with their tablets all the time. I will tell them about this app.

5. Michele D on June 17, 2016 at 5:15 am

I love seeing my children use their imagination. It most certainly does give them inspiration to be more creative. Both my 7 and 10 years do it.

6. Chrystal | Nevermore Lane on June 16, 2016 at 2:25 pm

What a cute app. I love the graphics. I am all for technology but I am also for screen free creative ways too.

7. Melissa Dixon on June 16, 2016 at 10:43 am

I love when kids play using as much creativity as possible, My daughter has always been creative but also enjoys technology, this is a win win!

8. Tatanisha Pitts-Worthey on June 16, 2016 at 9:10 am

This looks like a fun app I think my youngest son would love it. Screening time wouldn’t change though even if classes are out, I would love for them to play outside and yes, be creative.

9. ricci on June 15, 2016 at 11:49 pm

I think it’s great to see kids getting creative again!! I feel like they are stuck in front of screens so much that some forget how to use their imagination!

10. Mistee Dawn on June 15, 2016 at 10:46 pm

My daughter has special needs and we definitely do all we can to let her be creative. These look like great ideas.

11. Claudia Krusch on June 15, 2016 at 8:13 pm

I couldn’t agree more. I let my son be creative in soooo many ways, using apps, toys and games.

12. OurFamilyWorld on June 15, 2016 at 7:49 pm

We just downloaded this app and the girls are having fun with it. We always encourage them to be creative and this app is a big help.

13. Winona Rogers on June 15, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Creative play is so important for kids. We love to do crafts and paintings together. Our favorite is nature walks to collect some things we can make into art.

14. Ann Bacciaglia on June 15, 2016 at 7:18 pm

We always encouraged our kids to be creative. They love to paint and make crafts. These look like great apps for kids.

15. Annemarie LeBlanc on June 15, 2016 at 6:55 pm

I will recommend this app to my daughter. It would be great for kids to engage in creative play during the summer. My grand daughter is not yet of school age, but we choose activities for her that would boost her learning.

16. lisa on June 15, 2016 at 6:54 pm

This sounds like a neat app. My kids are so creative I bet they would love to check it out.

17. Kathy on June 15, 2016 at 6:49 pm

That app sounds awesome. I want to get that for my girls. I bet they’re going to love it!

18. Vera Sweeney on June 15, 2016 at 6:28 pm

I think my kids would love this app! I love apps that let me kids be creative while having fun like this as well!

19. Amy Desrosiers on June 15, 2016 at 6:11 pm

Our girls love spending time on their tablets. I think they’d really like these apps.

20. Kelly Hutchinson on June 15, 2016 at 5:57 pm

I could not agree more. I let my daughter be creative in many ways, like apps, toys and games. And just using her imagination.

21. janis on June 15, 2016 at 5:33 pm

I remember when the Dumb ways movie became popular, and they then made an app too. Its cool to see that they’re now starting to spread to teach even younger kids too.

22. Lisa Collins on June 15, 2016 at 4:50 pm

I had no idea about Dumb Ways Jr – what a clever idea for teaching lessons! My kids are always building and combing online fun with the real world and it’s fun to watch them do it.

23. Nancy L. on June 15, 2016 at 4:48 pm

The “Dumb Ways” app sounds like a wonderful way to have children use their imaginations and make believe they are making a one-of-a-kind meal (or whatever). Your daughter really seems to love it! 🙂 That’s great!

24. Aimee Smith on June 15, 2016 at 3:37 pm

What a fun app! I am constantly amazed at what my kids can turn into a toy! So fun to watch.

25. Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle on June 15, 2016 at 2:58 pm

These apps are great. I think embracing technology is important. Of course there’s also always the old standby. The cardboard box!

26. Aubrey on June 15, 2016 at 2:04 pm

drives me crazy how much time my kids want to spend on technology, being…creative… haha trying to make other options.

27. Jennifer on June 15, 2016 at 10:30 am

allowing my daughter to be as creative as she was when she was little is the reason that now at 18 she is getting ready to go into art college.

28. Jeanette on June 15, 2016 at 7:00 am

Sounds like my kid would just love. I was trying to find something creative for him so that he can use his imagination.

29. Robin (Masshole Mommy) on June 15, 2016 at 2:39 am

That sounds like such a fun app! My little guy would love it.