Kindle Helps Building Early Reading Skills

Compensation was provided by Kindle via MomTrends. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions of Kindle or Momtrends.Kindle Kids (2)Reading is so important for children. We have always focused on making sure our kids can read well for their age and level, and to also understand what the words they are hearing mean is even more important that just reading them aloud. Thanks to our new Kindle e-reader for kids they can keep the reading on the go. This is especially wonderful for new little reader who is just building reading skills.

It super important that we as parents take the time everyday day and every night to read to our children. It is the best way for them to learn the sounds and pronounce the new words they learn. It is also a good time for them to ask what words mean and for us to explain to them meanings. What is always important is making sure they are comfortable reading.

Kindle Kids (4)With the Scripps National Spelling Bee in progress now, this is a great time to emphasize and show how important spelling and understand words is in the nation and world. Our girls enjoy reading and spelling so we will enjoy watching the spelling bee with them. Kindle Kids (1)Kindle is a huge sponsor this year for the Scripps National Spelling Bee. This special event is the nation’s largest and longest-running educational program. The Kindle focuses on reading and letting books be widely accessible so it’s a great sponsorship. Both organizations believe that early reading develops a stronger vocabulary and ever expanding word comprehension.

Our kids all enjoy our new Kindle e-reader. This fun device allows both our 1st grader and 5th grader to share while building their oen labraries and vocabularies. Not only can they access a huyge amount of online books and titles, the Kindle has some neat tools built in for our little leartners. Built-in reading features include:

• Vocabulary Builder – compiles words you look up in the dictionary into a list for easy access, which readers can then use to quiz themselves using flashcards until they’ve mastered them. Kindle Kids (3)
  • Word Wise – automatically shows short and simple definitions above difficult words to help readers take on more challenging books.
  • Kindle FreeTime – kids can read books in a simple, fun and safe environment designed specifically for them. Kids are rewarded with achievement badges when they reach their reading milestones, and a progress report keeps parents updated on total time spent reading, number of words looked up, badges earned and books read.

Kindle will be playing a huge role during this 89th Annual Scripps National Spelling Bee finals know as “Bee Week.” It has started and is taking place May 24-26, 2016. This Scripps National Spelling Bee uses Kindle technology for the creation of word list study materials created for thousands of schools.

Kindle Kids (5)Right now, Amazon is offer $10 off the Kindle for Kids bundle. This includes the latest Kindle without any sponsored screensavers, kid-friendly cover, and a 2-year warranty provided by SquareTrade.

The Scripps National Spelling bee Championship finals will be broadcasted live on ESPN on Thursday, May 26 from 8p.m. to 10 p.m. ET.

Check it out online and have some fun with your own kids playing along!

For more info visit their website. Also by following the Scripps Spelling Bee on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

What are some simple ways you’re helping your little ones learn to spell?

1. Aamir Noman on May 27, 2016 at 10:52 pm

I love to learn and read.Kindles is very helpful to learn.

2. Echo on May 26, 2016 at 12:07 pm

I love promoting reading! It is so important! We often use our tablets and reading apps to promote independent reading at home! Kindles and tablets are awesome for that!

3. Aileen Adalid on May 26, 2016 at 10:39 am

I personally own a Kindle and I LOVE IT. It’s great to know that it helps and appeals to kids too — which makes sense of course because it has a lot of great features.

4. Jason Nail on May 26, 2016 at 8:55 am

Our kids will grow up with books that actually help them read. Hello, mind….Get ready to be blown. As a former teacher, I can get behind anything that supports and encourages reading comprehension.

5. Dee on May 26, 2016 at 7:28 am

I find it awesome that Kindle is helping with children’s education by helping them learn how to read. As we embark on summer vacations, it is a great tool keep you kids engaged during the summer.

6. Janet W. on May 26, 2016 at 3:18 am

My grandson is just finishing up kindergarten and has learned so much this year when it comes to reading. What a great way to practice those skills!

7. Censie Sawyer on May 25, 2016 at 8:38 pm

My son is almost 6 and he is loving to read to us now. I love it! Hearing him sound out the words and get through a book and then see him proud of himself is amazing! I am so happy that both of my kids love reading so much. This looks like a great “app” to add to our education with the kids.

8. Amanda @ Adorkablii on May 25, 2016 at 8:28 pm

My son has a kindle but I want to get him one that he can use just for reading. His is filled with games and all kinds of other stuff. He also has his iPad. However, he does have plenty of books to read. We hare huge James Patterson fans.

Though I love technology and stuff and I love that its easier too look up words and stuff, I have to say I like showing him how to use a dictionary and all. =)

I still think I may end up getting him this kindle. =)

9. Kristy @ Mommy Hates Cooking on May 25, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Kindles are amazing tools! It is crazy to think that kids can find their way around technology so easily. I’m thankful that they can be used for learning, especially reading as it is so important!

10. Lori Bosworth on May 25, 2016 at 2:32 pm

The Kindle e-reader looks like it’s a great resource to help children learn to read. It’s so important to establish strong literacy skills when children are young and if technology can help with that, that’s a good thing.

11. Tiaras & Tantrums on May 25, 2016 at 1:56 pm

This is a great alternative or supplement for kids who are perhaps in need of extra help with learning the skill of reading. I wonder if they have a phonics app, I think the two need to go hand in hand with young kids. I never would have thought to use the kindle in this manner for my kids

12. JENN on May 25, 2016 at 1:25 pm

My son loves to read but we don’t have enough books or spaces to store the books to keep up with him!! A Kindle is a great resource to keep him entertained! It helps to expand his vocabulary and I love that it defines the words he doesn’t know!