Celebrating School Lunch Hero Day

This is a partnered post with the School Nutrition Association

It’s hard to believe that we are nearing the end of the school year. This week we are celebrating staff appreciation days so it’s only fitting that May 6, 2016 is School Lunch Hero Day. This day is meant to celebrate all of the hard working school nutrition professionals who serve local schools and communities all across this country.school lunch hero daySchool lunch heroes can be found in every community but too often, their dedication to the children they serve goes unrecognized. The day will inspire creativity, encourage school unity and teach a sense of gratitude. I know our school lunch hero makes sure all of our kids have a deliciously fresh meal to help fuel them through their day.

Often I hear kids talk about how much they enjoy the salad bar and the options they get pick from, I know this is always a favorite for our girls. I know that takes a lot of preparation and it’s nice to know our kids are getting that care and it really does make them feel like they’re at home.
murrieta school lunchTo celebrate our school lunch hero I made this printable lunch lady poem that just shares a few simple words on why we are so thankful for our school lunch hero. school lunch lady thank you poem

I want to encourage my fellow parents and even teachers out there to use free downloads and resources to celebrate School Lunch Hero Day. I just love these fun activities and ideas to get the fun started.

School Lunch Hero Day is just a day to celebrate the wonderful people who work in our schools so I encourage you to join in and say thanks to those in our community who often offer a helping hand.

For more information and for the free downloadable resources, visit www.schoollunchheroday.com. Also be sure to follow Tray Talk on Facebook there will be a full week long of giveaways going on to celebrate.

Are you going to celebrate School Lunch Hero Day with us?

1. Debra on May 6, 2016 at 6:15 am

What a great idea. It’s important to thank and recognize all those that help to educate our children. From the teachers to the nurse, secretaries, custodians & even the lunch ladies!

2. Rosey on May 6, 2016 at 2:31 am

I can’t believe the end of the year is coming so quickly. I’m not ready for so many reasons this year.

3. Kiwi on May 5, 2016 at 9:41 am

This is a different idea. We always celebrate teachers but not the people who feed the kids!

4. Lisa Thompson on May 4, 2016 at 6:32 pm

What a thoughtful idea! I have kids with food allergies so we pack lunches every single day at our house!

5. Liz Mays on May 4, 2016 at 5:40 pm

What a wonderful way to say thanks to the people who provide school lunches. I love the printable.

6. Nicole Escat on May 4, 2016 at 3:53 pm

Good idea! In our school we don’t have ;like this, I’m so glad to know this. I’d like to spread this.

7. Ora Lee Gurr on May 4, 2016 at 3:18 pm

This is a great reminder for School Lunch Hero Day on May 6. A good lunch and cheerful personnel make a big difference. I’m sending the link to teacher friends and relatives.

8. Tracey on May 4, 2016 at 2:59 pm

What a great idea. I think lunch ladies often get forgotten and this is a great way to make them feel special.

9. Wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas on May 4, 2016 at 5:24 am

Such a cute poem! I had no idea about School Lunch Hero Day. I may share your poem with the lunch ladies at my child’s school. 🙂

10. monica on May 4, 2016 at 5:13 am

With teacher appreciation week this is such an important reminder! It’s also a great way to teach kids about gratitude.

11. Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle on May 4, 2016 at 4:07 am

I think lunch ladies are the unsung heroes of the school. They get even less recognition than teachers, but I know when I was a kid, they were some of the most kind hearted people in the school.

12. Robin (Masshole Mommy) on May 4, 2016 at 3:52 am

Our lunch ladies do not get enough credit. They definitely make sure the kids eat well!

13. Tracy @ Ascending Butterfly on May 4, 2016 at 2:42 am

As a former Special Ed Teacher I love this idea. I often relied on the ‘lunch hero’ to keep a watchful eye on my students! I love this printable idea!