5 Ways to Encourage Your Kids to Play Outside

This is a sponsored post with L’il Critters™ for which I have received free product and/or compensation, but the opinions are 100% my own.

toddler playing kick ballMy kids are like most kids and they like to spend time on their devices. Life happens and as parents we get busy, yet still it’s very important to my husband and I that we encourage our kids to put down their devices.

Especially our youngest, she’s very intrigued by them and sees her parents and sisters on them, so she wants to play on them too. With her not in preschool yet we really don’t want to develop bad habits so we try to get outside as much as we can.1draing with chalk with my kids 3 year oldEach day that my kids don’t have after school activities I try to encourage them to spend time outside. Often they pretend to be explorers and scientists but on the off occasion they can’t think of anything to do I try to encourage them with a few simple ideas.

5 Ways to Encourage Your Kids to Play Outside

• Get creative with play! Send your kids on a mission to find a new planet or explore a far away place.
  • Give them things to do! Keep bikes, scooters, chalk and other age appropriate toys easily accessible. Don’t be afraid to get down there and play with them, half the fun of playing outside is playing together.
  • Just add water! My kids love water and living here in southern California all we have to do is add water for plenty of outdoor fun.
  • Explore the great outdoors! This is a favorite of ours daily, especially on weekends. Head to the beach, hike a local trail, just get outside it’s even better if the whole family gets to be involved.
  • Take the indoors outside! This is great for little ones. Playing with playdoh, paint and other fun manipulative toys from inside can be a great way to spend time outdoors. This also makes your outdoor patio space an extension of your home.

2draing with chalk with my kids 3 year oldWe try to support our kids’ healthy habits by spending time together outside as a family and by making sure they get all the things their bodies need to stay active and healthy. L’il Critters™, which is the #1 Kid’s Gummy Vitamin brand, is a fun and delicious way to support your kid’s healthy habits.

Our girls are busy with activities after school and I have to say a lot of our snacks are eaten on the road in between dance, swim and cheer classes. Did you know that the recommended daily amount of fruit for moderately active girls and boys is one and a half cups of fruit and two to three cups of vegetables every day?ⱡ While we try to make sure all of our kid’s meals are well balanced, I am sure we fall short. L’il Critters™ gummy vitamins have no high fructose corn syrup and no synthetic (FD&C) dyes and are something I can feel good giving my kids. lil critters gummy vites 4 year oldL’il Critters™ gummy vitamins help us to establish healthy habits with our girls and can provide essential vitamins their active bodies need, plus they taste great. It’s often my kids who remind me that it’s time for their L’il Critters™ gummy vitamin.

L’il Critters™ gummy vitamins are available at local stores near you including Costco, Target and at grocery stores nationwide. You can find more information at gummyvites.com, also find L’il Critters on Facebook.

What are some ways you encourage your kids to get outside?

ⱡ SOURCE: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. Fruits and Veggies More Matters® April 2016. Available at http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/myplate-and-what-is-a-serving-of-fruits-and-vegetables

1. Aamir Noman on May 27, 2016 at 10:43 pm

My babies love to play outside

2. Candy O on May 24, 2016 at 10:09 pm

We are definitely spending more time outside these days. We love Little Critter dummies! My son takes them.

3. Karlaroundtheworld | Karla on May 23, 2016 at 8:38 am

While I’m not exactly in a situation where I need to have the kids play outside, it sounds like I’ll be doing something remotely similar to the tips here. Bikes and skates with supervision might be a fun start!

4. Ann Bacciaglia on May 23, 2016 at 7:14 am

My kids were always wanting to go outside and play. We had a huge yard with a lot of fun toys for them. They hated rainy days when they had to stay inside.

5. Melinda on May 23, 2016 at 5:32 am

As a kid I was never in the house. I love being outside. So much has changed and NOT. The simple things, balls, bubbles, jumpropes and chalk are great motivators for getting outside in the sunshine

6. Dandi D on May 23, 2016 at 3:56 am

These are great tips and I will have to try them with my son because it is so difficult to get him to play outdoors.

7. Sherrie C. on May 23, 2016 at 2:18 am

Thanks for sharing those wonderful tips. My six year old granddaughter loves being outdoors so we don’t have to do much encouraging thank goodness. All we have to do is mention the park or beach and she is more than ready to go!

8. Kiwi on May 22, 2016 at 10:53 pm

Back in my day you didnt have to encourage them to go outside…our fun was all mostly outside. These little gummies looks like it would be great for the kids to take easily!

9. Janet W. on May 22, 2016 at 3:47 am

Super tips, especially with summer coming up! We got outside yesterday and did lots of artwork with sidewalk chalk. So much fun!

10. Toni | BoulderLocavore.com on May 21, 2016 at 10:41 pm

Great ideas. With so much cyber entertainment it’s harder to get kids of all ages outside.

11. Amy @ Marvelous Mommy on May 21, 2016 at 7:00 pm

My girls love playing outside, especially when water is involved! Those gummy vitamins are my girls’ favorite, they taste great!

12. Ryan Escat on May 21, 2016 at 10:47 am

Thanks for these great tips. My son is becoming a gadget fanatic this summer vacation and I think this will help us to encourage him to go and play outside and have fun.

13. Nicole Escat on May 21, 2016 at 10:37 am

My girls love to play outside. Sidewalk chalk and bubbles are their favorite activities.

14. Jeanine on May 21, 2016 at 9:54 am

My kids love playing outside its sometimes hard for us to get them to come back inside! They love it, and love sidewalk chalk, bubbles, skipping and all that fun stuff outside!

15. Ora Lee Gurr on May 21, 2016 at 9:39 am

Sidewalk chalk is so much fun. It’s nice to spend time outdoors and the kids know it’s special when parents help them think of activities. It helps that you spend time with them, too. Enjoy the summer!

16. Brandy on May 21, 2016 at 8:36 am

These are great tips …. I am so thankful I used some of these with my trio so that they now enjoy outdoor time!

17. Beeb Ashcroft on May 21, 2016 at 6:36 am

I think playing outside is a lost art these days. I wish more parents would be purposeful about getting their children outside. In my opinion, it’s very important for them to be outside on a daily basis, if possible. Great ideas!

18. Liz Mays on May 20, 2016 at 6:40 pm

I like your ideas. My kids used to love biking around the neighborhood. Chalk is always fun too.

19. Monica on May 20, 2016 at 4:42 pm

So much fun – just in time for summer! And we totally need to restock on vitamins!

20. Nancy Partin on May 20, 2016 at 3:04 pm

We put down some concrete on the side of our house so my boys could ride their bikes and play basketball safely outside.

21. Theresa on May 20, 2016 at 1:46 pm

We finally got some new kids in the neighborhood (used to be all older folk) so now my kids are outside all the time. It helps when there are kids their age to play with in the area.

22. Jennifer on May 20, 2016 at 1:41 pm

It’s really important to encourage kids to be active. These days they just sit in the house and play video games all day.

23. MELISASource on May 20, 2016 at 1:26 pm

Now that my kids are older, I don’t have to encourage them anymore. They both love to hang out and play games like basketball with their friends.

24. Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle on May 20, 2016 at 1:24 pm

These are all great tips. With all the apps and gaming consoles out these days, it’s important to make sure our kids see daylight.