Your Daughter’s First Period: Help Her Be Ready

kaila and kristinWhen I think about my oldest becoming a tween sometimes I am in disbelief. Are we already at that point? How can I help her understand what’s happening to her body in a way that’s healthy for her? It started last year when I noticed she was developing around her chest, and as her mood is up and down lately, I know it’s time that we start talking about periods and what’s happening to her body as she gets older.

Just last week we were at the beach and I was just so taken back by how mature she is. While, sure, we have our bad days and bad moods, but I’m really looking forward to the next stages of parenting with older kids. I remember my first period, luckily being the youngest, I had two older sisters who easily helped me. Some school days were uncomfortable, but that’s puberty in general.

One of the best tips I’ve heard from other moms is to make her a period kit with everything she might need for when the time comes. For my daughter I added some fun items like a bracelet, phone case and hand sanitizer.  I also found a book since I know that is how my child can relate best. I thought the book was appropriate and had all the information she needed to know. I also included Always FlexFoam™ pads.Always Infinity Flexfoam (1)

As a parent of a tween I found the Always Teen website http://always.com/en-us/tips-and-advice/puberty-101 very helpful. It has everything you need to know to help guide your daughter through her first menstrual cycle. The first thing I think about, though, as a parent, is keeping my child comfortable and Always FlexFoam™ pads provide a 3-D body fit for maximum comfort, designed to fit your unique shape without bunching. FlexFoam™ is an innovative foam material, which absorbs 10 times its weight, yet feels like nothing.  As far as a girl’s first period, this is as comfortable as it’s going it get. Haha! Always Infinity Flexfoam (2)

The most important thing is helping my daughter understand that all women go through this change and that while she’s growing up she can still feel confidant knowing she’s prepared. I have used Always products since my own first period so I know Always will be there for my daughter when her time comes. You can find out more tips by following Always on Facebook and Twitter.

Has your daughter gone through her first period? Any advice for a mom just starting this new journey with her daughter?

Compensation was provided for this post was provided via Momtrends. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions of P&G or Momtrends.

1. CourtneyLynne on April 11, 2016 at 8:56 pm

Omg this is definitely one of the more uncomfortable mom talks that’s for sure. Thankfully my daughter has a few more years so I can prepare myself

2. Becca Wilson on April 9, 2016 at 12:34 pm

My daughters have a way to go before this, but my friend’s niece is at this stage. I need to share this with her!

3. Bites for Babies on April 8, 2016 at 10:34 am

I know that I will have no issues discussing personal hygiene issues with my daughter…my mother was very open with me so I intend on being very open with my daughter.

4. Lynndee on April 8, 2016 at 4:46 am

I don’t have a daughter so I don’t have nothing to worry about those things, but my sister has two. I will share this with her.

5. Claudia Krusch on April 7, 2016 at 7:27 pm

I don’t have a daughter, so I can’t even imagine what this is….Loved your post! Will share it with a friend!

6. Bonnie @wemake7 on April 7, 2016 at 6:31 pm

That looks like a great book. I may have to look into getting this at some point for my youngest daughter.

7. Heather on April 7, 2016 at 4:14 pm

I had just gone on a motorcycle trip with my mom’s boy friend when I had mine. Thankfully I k ew what had happened. Having boys I don’t have to worry about the period as much. It will be other pubescent things I’ll have to deal with.

8. Kathy on April 7, 2016 at 8:48 am

This is a great post. I have two daughters and they’re young yet, so they haven’t gone through this. I don’t know if I’ll be ready when the time comes, but I’ll definitely be there for them. I think Always is the perfect brand to start off with.

9. Dandi D on April 7, 2016 at 4:01 am

My mom did such a good job preparing me, so I hope I can do the same for my daughter.

10. Nancy @ whispered inspirations on April 6, 2016 at 4:55 pm

I’m on the same boat with my daughter. My oldest daughter is going to be hitting that part of a girls life so I’m preparing her for whats to come.

11. Heather on April 6, 2016 at 3:32 pm

My husband has FOUR daughters and we are awaiting one more to get her period (she’s only ten, so I hope it’ll be a few more years). Mine was NOT a good experience (I was only 10), so I hope hers is better. A LOT better! I think these kits show girls it is a normal, natural part of life and it helps it not be embarrassing! Good for Always for doing this!

12. Tessa @ Mama Smith's on April 6, 2016 at 12:07 pm

I won’t be gearing up for this for a while yet. My oldest daughter is only 6. However, we’ll be discussing this well before it actually happens. I want her to be comfortable when the time comes.

13. Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle on April 6, 2016 at 12:01 pm

My oldest daughter is coming up on this time in her life, and I’ve done my best to make sure she’s prepared. The scariest part of a first period is the uncertainty.

14. Jeanette on April 6, 2016 at 11:50 am

I just saw this book in the store. I was raised around all boys this book would’ve done me a world of good.

15. Robin (Masshole Mommy) on April 6, 2016 at 11:16 am

I have all boys, so I am thankful that I don’t have to deal with this. Boys are much easier 🙂