3 Simple Tips To Avoid Distracted Driving #TakeBackMyDrive

nissan leaf electric carOften I joking call myself the “taxi mom” because I do spend a good portion of my weekdays driving our girls around. From the time our kids head to school I’m in and out of the car and while I’m not always a perfect driver I often try to go back to the basics and avoid very dangerous driving. Most parents have a lot going on so being distracted while driving is something that happens often in our car. traveling with kidsIf we travel as a family I try to mitigate my husband being distracted while driving by keeping our children occupied. When I drive myself I always try to stay focused on the road ahead and often tell my children if they’re not dying there’s nothing I can do to help them while we are driving, once we stop I can be better focused on their needs and not on the road ahead. We are happy to partner with SheSavvy and The National Safety Council on this post.

I know I have had the temptation to make a quick call in the car, or check my email at stop lights. It’s something I have made a decision that I don’t want to do and that I will not do while I drive. Did you know that there is no safe way to use a cell phone while driving? Even if t’s hands free.  Research has shown the brain remains distracted for 27 seconds after dialing, changing music or sending a text using voice commands. Almost everyone has seen a driver distracted by a cell phone, but often you don’t realize that distracted driver is also you. 3 Simple Tips To Avoid Distracted Driving

1. Plan Ahead – An easy way to get distracted while driving is looking for directions. Know where you are going ahead of time, use your navigation so you’ll know which route you need to take.
  2. Take It Easy –  We all do it, we’re in a rush and we drive a little faster than we usually do. Pay attention and focused on the road ahead and that means following road signs. Always use your turn signals, this is one you that shows you are paying attention to the rules of the road and are not distracted.
  3. Ditch The Cell Phones – It’s hard I know, if it’s important enough to have to answer while you are driving it’s important enough that you also full over.

With April being distracted driving awareness month it’s a great reminder to go back to those basics. As parents, wives, mothers, friends, it’s so easy to get lost in the day to day and sometimes we really just overlook things.  I encourage you to take the no cell phone pledge and stand with me and millions of others to reduce distracted driving and not use your cell phone in the car.

You can learn more from The National Safety Council and be sure to follow on Twitter.

What are some ways you avoid being distracted while driving?

1. Sandra Gillan McCollum on April 17, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Driving with 5 kids is always a distraction in itself, so it’s important to eliminate all other possible distractions. The cell phone definitely being issue number 1.

2. Ryan Escat on April 15, 2016 at 4:56 pm

I like the idea. This is sometimes a cause for traffic in our country.

3. Myrah Duque on April 15, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Great ideas! In this busy world that we are living we tend to forget about these tips. I like to keep my phone locked up in my purse so I don’t have the urge to pick up and read my texts.

4. Dawn McAlexander on April 15, 2016 at 12:02 pm

Ditching the cell phone is most certainly the most important rule when driving. I hate to know that there are still some people who refuse to wait to text when driving. It can be so dangerous for the driver, the passengers, and the other cars on the road.

5. Tammi Roy on April 15, 2016 at 10:02 am

My kids know when we are in the car it is important to let Mom drive. It is easier now that they are a little older they can understand i need to concentrate on the road. These are great tips.

6. Ann Bacciaglia on April 15, 2016 at 10:00 am

I am so nervous now that both of my kids are driving. It is so easy to be distracted while you drive. I always keep my phone in my purse when i am driving.

7. Sarah on April 15, 2016 at 8:35 am

I hate when people are driving and distracted. I always ditch the cell phone. It just isn’t worth it, anyone that calls/texts can wait.

8. Kathy on April 14, 2016 at 8:01 pm

I always ditch the cell phone. No way do I ever text or talk on the phone when I’m driving. I’ll admit I’ve done it before, but I stopped a long time ago.

9. Jeni Hawkins on April 14, 2016 at 7:20 pm

YES! Ditch the cell phones! People ALWAYS think they can text and drive…..and they might be able to, but it’s still a scary distraction!

10. Marcie W. on April 14, 2016 at 5:28 pm

These are wonderful tips and so extremely important. I keep my phone inside my purse and my purse in the backseat while driving to avoid any temptation.

11. Dawn Lopez on April 14, 2016 at 5:16 pm

I get so frustrated when I see someone with a cell phone in their hand while driving. I want to check my phone as badly they do but I won’t take that chance no matter what. It’s a great reminder about not getting distracted.

12. Jeanette on April 14, 2016 at 12:42 pm

I think one of the best ways I keep myself from being distracted is have the phone sound turned off while I’m in the car so I don’t even know if there is a text.

13. Melissa Lawler on April 14, 2016 at 12:31 pm

Place the sundaes on the floor so they don’t fall off of the seat. (Long story!)