Choosing Love – 5 Tips To Strengthen Your Marriage

1046291adel and kristinMy husband and I met when I was 19 years old. We were friends at first and I enjoyed doing things together with him. He always made me feel like anything was possible, and so I started to feel more attracted to him. Growing up I didn’t really feel like I had very many people there for me, a former foster child it was only after we welcomed our first daughter into the world did I know what unconditional love was.

My husband Del and I have now been together for 10 years, and I’m not going to say the last ten years have been easy by any means but I do know a few things. You have to find someone who is willing to help you unpack any hurt and who is willing to stand by you on good days and bad. It’s so easy to give up on things but what I can say about our marriage is that we have never given up. I have a husband who is willing to help me unpack all the hurt in my past and each day helps me build on the good we have in our life. We now have three beautiful daughters and one of my greatest joys is watching my husband as a father.
del and kristin I often think how different my life would be if I would have never met my husband. Shortly after meeting him I told him abut wanting to go to college so he held my hand and made it happen, he’s made all of the things I’ve wanted seem possible. I think how funny it is that I met someone who has so greatly touched my life and I get to rise with the sun next to him and our daughters each and every day.daddy feeding babyI asked my Grandmother the year before she died how her marriage lasted so long and she told me her secret was choosing love. Even on the days when it’s hardest you have to chose love. I know how hard that is in our day to day rush of life but I do know that when I chose to work on strengthening my marriage I am choosing love. marriage tips

5 Tips To Stregnthen Your Marriage

1. Respect One Another – Respect is especially important to men so eve if you disagree on something you have to respect one another. Everyone makes mistakes so respect one another even if one person makes a choice the other one doesn’t like.
  2. Mistakes – Yes, you knew this was coming. Mistakes happen, forgive often. Forgive for everyday annoiances and even bigger mistakes. Harboring those bad feelings will lead to resentment.
  3. Communicate – This one I admit is harder for me than my husband but it’s something I am working on. Over communicate with your partner, often it’s as simple as someone else not knowing our expectations.
  4. Negativity – Don’t talk negatively about one another to others. This will lead to resentment and miscommunication. It’s important to your spouse that you speak to one another about how you feel.
  5. Schedule Date Nights – Especially if you have kids regular date nights are important for all couples. Stay indoors and watch a movie, go to dinner, take a class, do something together and without the kiddos.

cambria wineAs parents we get so busy with our own schedules and our family life. It’s important that you do spend time together. One way I like to spend time with my husband is going to see movies. It’s something we both like doing and so we can’t wait to see the movie out February 5th the new Nicholas Sparks movie, The Choice.

This movie is all about making difficult choices of the heart to find your destiny and perfect match. The main characters in this are first brought together due to an encounter between their dogs! Their adorable pets play an important (and adorable) role in the story and I know as dog lovers, my husband and I are really going to enjoy this movie.

What are your favorite date night ideas?

I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

1. Michelle Richardson on April 22, 2016 at 9:28 pm

Lovely read thanks for sharing!

2. Kenya Fruits Exporters on April 20, 2016 at 7:57 am

Lovely tips. Always communicate and understand each other

3. Life as a Convert on February 6, 2016 at 12:15 pm

I am not married, but these are some great tips.

4. Cara (@StylishGeek) on February 5, 2016 at 2:02 pm

Thanks for the wonderful marriage tips! I agree with them all and try to do them. We have to work harder to plan out date nights! It’s a must!

5. Ron Leyba on February 5, 2016 at 2:20 am

Great tips. Me and my wife badly needs this tip.

6. ricci on February 4, 2016 at 7:11 pm

These are great tips and could be used in any relationship, not just marriage. Great post!!

7. Eileen Mendoza Loya on February 4, 2016 at 6:55 pm

I think the best is Respect. It is something a couple should work on and maintain. As the old cliche goes, “Respect is not given, it is earned.” Thank you for a great read!

8. Chrystal | Nevermore Lane on February 4, 2016 at 4:19 pm

These are all such great tips and all of the things I look for in a relationship. Sadly, my soon to be ex-husband didn’t always agree with me. I kept choosing love, for so long. I think it just made me blind to all of the things that were wrong.

9. Jaime Nicole on February 4, 2016 at 12:27 pm

These are really great ideas for couples. I know that we all give them lip service, but it is so important to really give these highlights important consideration.

10. Dogvills on February 4, 2016 at 11:05 am

These are awesome tips. My husband and I love to watch old flicks.

11. Kelli @ 3 Boys and a Dog on February 4, 2016 at 10:14 am

Communication is definitely key! Although, with #5 it can be difficult. Every couple has a different story and different situation and you make it work the best you can. These are great tips, thank you for sharing your story!

12. Britni on February 4, 2016 at 10:05 am

I love that you are taking time to strengthen your marriage. It is something that we all need to put effort into. I love the you are trying to have date nights. I think it is so important to get that time alone with one another.

13. Melissa on February 4, 2016 at 8:16 am

My favorite date night ideas are just hanging out at home watching a movie with my husband. A good quiet night is always best although on occasion we enjoy going to a good concert too!

14. ashley on February 4, 2016 at 8:05 am

Great tips! Respecting each other and having solid communication are definitely key ways to strengthen my marriage for us!

15. Rebecca Swenor on February 4, 2016 at 5:53 am

This is a great post and tips to strengthen your marriage. Respect and communication are so important in any relationship. It is also so important to keep a date night each week or every two weeks.

16. victoria on February 4, 2016 at 5:14 am

I’m so jealous. My husband was not a kind of sweet. He doesn’t want to date night or shopping in the mall.

17. Ann Bacciaglia on February 3, 2016 at 10:38 pm

These are great tips. Communication is so important to have a happy marriage. Learning when to admit you are wrong goes a long way as well.

18. Heather Pfingsten on February 3, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Great tips! We have a really strong relationship and a 6-year-old daughter, so the one place where we need to work is date night. We just watched a movie together after our little one went to bed. Baby steps … baby steps.

19. Miles L. on February 3, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Respect is really a big word for men. I remember some men saying they need respect more than being loved.

20. mary on February 3, 2016 at 6:45 pm

My favorite date night is a movie and sushi with my love. During the day – I would love to walk the art festival for a day time date! Fun stuff.

21. travel blogger on February 3, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Great ideas! It is so important to maintain your relationship and continue to work and grow. Thanks for sharing!

22. lisa on February 3, 2016 at 4:28 pm

These are all great tips. I love date night. We schedule date night as often as we can to reconnect with each other without having kids or other distractions around.

23. Robin (Masshole Mommy) on February 3, 2016 at 4:24 pm

My husband and I do date night every Friday night. Alone time is so important.

24. Heather lawrence on February 3, 2016 at 3:12 pm

These are all great tips! I have learned the further along we get in our marriage I realize how important it is to work daily on our marriage.

25. Jeanette on February 3, 2016 at 3:56 pm

Communication and date nights I think for the key to any wonderful marriage. There’s plenty of stuff that can go wrong but as long as you have a strong foundation your marriage will last.