Reducing Our Impact On Our Oceans & Environment Starting With Our Natural Hand Wash

With the New Year here, our family is create resolutions with most focusing on doing more for everything around us. One of the most important places and things to us involves the environment, the great outdoors. With the historic flooding back east and the drought and depleting marine life here in the west, things are changing. We all need to do our part to not just protect, but to promote new life and growth by watching how and where we contaminate the nature. We are happy to partner with Seventh Generation as a brand ambassador.

dad and child wetlands bird watchingOne way our family has made a large effort to watch and change our impact is through our cleaning products. From our laundry detergent, to our dish wash liquid and hand soap, we partnered and switched over to Seventh Generation to keep the convenience of a busy life, but also cutting back tremendously on what we introduce into our drainage and gray water which eventually makes its way to rivers and eventually oceans. While we could all wish for waste water treatment plants it is not always the case especially around areas with water access. Here in Southern California some cities use highly treated sewage and gray water water for landscaping irrigation only which is better than flowing out into the oceans.

Many times these oceans protect not only marine life but also land and air animals.

magoo point californiaHere is a beach on the northern Malibu coast and it is rocky and has little life but birds. North of this beach by 10s of miles are acres of fertile and highly farmed land.  It is important to protect the areas that have life and the best way starts with us.

rocks Beach in Malibu California  Many people probably do not realize where their waste water goes. Many cities do not treat these waters and pipe them into rivers and oceans. Watching what we throw into the drains and waterways helps in so many ways.

Seventh Generation Hand Wash Soap (3)We and the kids enjoy using Seventh Generation natural hand wash. With a line of scents including Lavender Flower & Mint, Mandarin Orange & Grapefruit, Hibiscus & Cardamom, they are very pleasant to dispense and in no way over bearing when and after rinse. Dad has a favorite of the citrus, Mom loves lavender and the kids love them all!

Seventh Generation Hand Wash Soap orange hibiscus lavenderSeventh Generation hand soaps are USDA certified bio based product with 97% of it biobased. I know it may seem small but think about the little things that go into your garbage, fluids and waters that go down the drains, even the smells that go into the air, we have a large impact on the world around us. Starting with small initiatives and realizing benefits to reducing our impacts on the natural world, we are investing into ourselves and our kids and future generations in the biggest way possible.

Seventh Generation Hand Wash Soap (1)

“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
Jane Goodall

We recently made a family visit to Laguna Beach’s Shaw’s Cove and talked with some marine volunteers there. There were there helping visitors not only with pamphlets to help viewers find fun marine life, but to also inform people the fines for removing marine life and any curious questions they may have. I was informed we could collect sea glass and drift wood. Sea glass is simply worn glass from human waste, but it its sanded natural and looks cool. It is important to protect these areas and protecting the water they love in is essential.

Shaws Cove Laguna Beach California

Even at Seventh Generation they use 100% recycled containers for their Laundry, Hand Dish soap, toilet cleaner, and dish gel. They even have a paper container. Make a different by starting with waste reduction.

It is important, especially coastal cities to really care about that small shoreline that is public access. With so many people relying on it, it is even more important we think about what creates the problems in the ocean and “The Earth is what we all have in common.” — Wendell Berry

1. Aileen Adalid on January 10, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Much like you guys, I’m environmentally-conscious and I like to do things that can help the world no matter how small of a matter it can be. Thanks for writing about this hand wash, it sounds like a great idea! Would definitely check it out.

2. Castaway with Crystal on January 6, 2016 at 9:14 pm

I do similar things at home. I hate putting harsh detergents, etc down the drain. We love to recycle as much as possible and are always thinking of new ways to minimise our footprint.

Crystal recently posted… Help… There’s a Criminal on my Bus!

3. Britni on January 6, 2016 at 11:33 am

I love the idea of having an all natural hand wash. This is a good way to start teaching my kids how important our impact on the environment can be. Every little things that we can do to make a difference is worth it!

4. Melissa on January 6, 2016 at 10:52 am

My daughter is learning about leaving less of a carbon footprint and reducing waste to help the environment. This would be a great product to help really bring the lesson home for her. I like when companies try to make a difference, we all have to share this earth and even if it gets destroyed after we are gone, our grandkids and so on will have to deal with it.

5. Dee on January 5, 2016 at 7:31 pm

This is the first time that I have heard of the 7th Generation products. I love that it is eco friendly that its a product I can use to do a good job of cleaning with out destroying the environment. Thank You so much for sharing.

6. Amanda on January 5, 2016 at 3:38 pm

I have become friends with the premiere green beautician in Chicago and she has told me how important it is to choose eco friendly products that are both safe for my family and for the environment. It sounds like Seventh Generation natural hand wash definitely fulfills these needs. Thanks for sharing.

7. Tee on January 5, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Seventh Generation is a wonderful brand. I always loved their company’s mission and the natural substances found in their ingredient list. You’ve shared beautiful photos in this post.

8. Felicita Moncada on January 5, 2016 at 1:19 pm

I’ve used Seventh generation in the past and love it! Those hand soap bottles are so pretty! I need to look for them next time I head to the store – perfect for Spring!

9. Lynzy on January 5, 2016 at 12:55 pm

We use seventh generation wipes! I would love to try out the hand wash!

10. Tammilee Tips on January 5, 2016 at 12:54 pm

What an amazing place to be able take your kids to see marine life! I love using natural products in place of ones with harmful chemicals in them. Taking care of shoreline helps to preserve so many different species and also our eco system.

11. Shana Lee on January 4, 2016 at 10:49 pm

I currently use 7th generation products. I love that their products are natural and chemical free. It’s not only good for the environment but also our general health.

12. Claudia Krusch on January 4, 2016 at 7:30 pm

I’ve heard of 7th Generation before, never tried them. I will check them out !

13. Jamela Porter on January 4, 2016 at 6:41 pm

I’ve never heard of this brand, but will for sure have to find it and check it out. Hand wash is one of the things that we have to have in my house.

14. Angie on January 4, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Reducing our impact is such a necessary thing. I love this, and it’s great to know how to help, even in some small way.

15. Crystal on January 4, 2016 at 5:51 am

I agree! I’ve been trying to switch over to natural products on everything. Some of it is hard to give up, but it does more harm than good.

16. R U S S on January 4, 2016 at 3:50 am

The time to give back to nature is now and we can do it even in the smallest ways. This is the first time that I’m hearing about Seventh Generation but I must say that the did a great job in having products that are beneficial not just to us but to the environment as well.

17. Tami on January 3, 2016 at 8:53 pm

I’ve heard of Seventh Generation, but thought it was just safe for our personal use. I didn’t realize the connection to our environment.

18. Nikki on January 3, 2016 at 7:10 pm

I’ve never heard or seen this brand but it looks good to use. And I think mom would love this.

19. Jaime Nicole on January 3, 2016 at 6:11 pm

Seventh Generation makes really nice cleaning products. The biobased concept is interesting – I would love to research their ingredients list and see how it stacks up.

20. Pam on January 3, 2016 at 12:10 pm

I had never thought about how our water was treated. I am not sure how much flows back into the local river. It’s definitely important to make sure we aren’t washing tons of chemicals down the drain.

21. nazma on January 3, 2016 at 11:57 am

amazing place to go with kids.i dont know about this brand but will have a look around if i find it

22. Heather on January 3, 2016 at 11:41 am

I use to use sventh generation diapers. It’s a great brand and I love that they are always striving to make a positive impact on the earth and people’s lives.

23. Miranda (Myrabev) on January 3, 2016 at 9:46 am

I am not familiar with this brand but I agree we all need to take an active participation in our environment and protect it for the future generation, the wildlife as well as marine life and lands.

24. Terri Beavers on January 3, 2016 at 9:07 am

I like using natural products to keep us all chemical free. I’ll have to check out this hand wash and purchase some for the bathroom and kitchen.

25. Jenn Peters on January 3, 2016 at 8:29 am

I’ve heard of 7th Generation before, never tried them. But I love their stance! Thinking I should really check them out now 🙂

26. Vera Sweeney on January 2, 2016 at 9:55 pm

I have used 7th generation before and loved them! What an amazing place to take the kids to see the all the natural wildlife.

27. Marielle Altenor on January 2, 2016 at 7:55 pm

I’ve heard of this brand and I wanted to try it. It makes sense to use natural hand wash because you tend to have to do so many times during the day.