10 Green & Environmentally Focused New Year’s Resolutions

With the New Year here, we are make resolutions to better the environment we want to enjoy for decades and the next century for the kid’s kids. It is becoming essential that we make the efforts to protect what is depleting and starting with ourselves and our homes is one of the best starts. We are happy to partner with Seventh Generation® as a brand ambassador for 2015 and have enjoyed being able to team up with a brand that really makes a difference. dad and child wetlands bird watchingOver the last year we have used many of the Seventh Generation products dramatically changing how much our family consumes and vowing to continue to do better by our planetseventh genI have learned that Seventh Generation Free & Clear laundry detergent is a product that we use because it is tough on stains, but gentle on even the most sensitive skin.  Seventh Generation Dish Liquid is a powerful formula that cuts through grease and stuck-on foods yet is gentle and safe when little hands pitch in to help.

I learned to let go and allow little hands to help around the house with Seventh Generation All Purpose Natural Cleaner is the cleaner that will help you take care of your whole house. Kitchen, windows, appliances, bathroom and so much more.  Plus flu and cold season would not be complete without Seventh Generation hand wash. We would have never gotten through potty training earlier this year without Seventh Generation either. So when I look back on the products we’ve used this last year to life a happier and healthier life Seventh Generation was always there.
new years resolutaionsHere is a list of 10 Green and Environmentally Focused New Year’s Resolutions that can be used each or all together. Looking for some ideas, check these out:

1. Switch to a bio based hand wash like Seventh Generation Hand Wash. Reducing what goes into our drains and ultimately our oceans are super important for 2016.
  2. Get out and enjoy nature more. Feeling bored? Instead of waste electricity of consuming, go for a walk and enjoy nature. Uses no resources and even contributes the environment, our exhalation is what plants and trees need to breath.
  3. Try to recycle as much as possible. Most cities at least recycle paper, cans, glass and some plastic containers. Recycle everything you can.
  4. Use reusable bottles for water and drinks on the go. People would be amazed at how many plastic bottles are used every day.
  5. Bring your own bags to the grocery store. Plastic bags create a lot of waste to be made and are not easily recyclable. Using reusable bags is easy to end plastic bag waste.
  6. Carpool. Find a friend and pick them up for work or maybe carpool kids for activities, etc. Saves time, money, and keeps cars off the road.
  7. Air dry your clothing. Install a hanger bar in your laundry room and hang dry clothing instead of drying them. Clothes last longer and the electricity or natural gas bill comes down!
  8. Make the lightbulb switch to LED or CFL. The costs are more than worth it, and now proven. I made the switch years ago to CFL and would like to go LED, but my bulbs are still going. Maybe one day.
  9. Turn off lights not in use. With 3 kids, I find myself doing rounds to make sure lights not in use are off. Setting timers are also handy because then lights turn on for evening use and off by themselves.
  10. Soak dishes and air dry. We also like to use Seventh Generation Dish Soap liquid.

We have made some serious changes starting with our home cleaning products. We like that Seventh Generation is USDA certified bio based with products being 97% biobased. We have always been eco-conscious and the more we see the environment needing help, we are starting in many ways, one including what we let go down the drain.

Shaws Cove Laguna Beach California

You can find these and other Seventh Generation products at your local retailers or online. Be sure to stay social with @SeventhGen on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.

Have you ever made a New Year’s resolution that include Eco-friendly ideas or action?

1. Amy Desrosiers on January 5, 2016 at 12:41 pm

I love using natural products. I have switched to natural dish soap and hand wash last year and am slowly catching up with other things.

2. Dogvills on January 5, 2016 at 1:53 am

I love your list and I’m glad that we’re already doing most of these things.

3. Autumn @Mamachallenge on January 4, 2016 at 9:16 pm

That is a great list of ideas! My kids love to help us recycle everything that we can.

4. Vera Sweeney on January 4, 2016 at 9:44 pm

Great list of New Years resolution!!! I love focusing on doing things to help the environment like this, I may need to implement some of these!

5. Caroline Fernandez on January 4, 2016 at 9:19 pm

This is a great list of New Year’s Resolutions. It is important to do as much as we can to help take care of the environment.

6. Ann Bacciaglia on January 4, 2016 at 9:17 pm

I am always looking for new ways to reduce the waste we create. This is a great list of New Year’s Resolutions.

7. Liz Mays on January 4, 2016 at 8:34 pm

We’ve been getting too lax about our use of lights in the hallways and bedrooms and I’d like to work on that this year. It would be nice to switch to some green products too.

8. Jeanine on January 4, 2016 at 7:38 pm

a few years back my New Years resolution was to start recycling more, using ECO friendly homemade cleaners and to really crack down on the waste. I think we’ve done good so far. We love seventh gen!

9. Jody Smith on January 4, 2016 at 7:28 pm

I really love using Seventh Generation products throughout the house. Your tips are excellent for a greener new year!

10. Kelly Hutchinson on January 4, 2016 at 7:08 pm

After seeing your list, I find I am doing many of the items. If think drying your clothes outdoors would be a great way to save on electricity.

11. Shelley Zurek on January 4, 2016 at 5:48 pm

WHen our kids were growing up we bought water bottles but then we realized the endless plastic we were using and switched to water out the fridge. It really does make a huge impact.

12. Jennifer on January 4, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this. I’ve been slowly trying to go more green, and I was just get ready to switch to eco-friendly cleaning supplies.

13. Jeanette on January 4, 2016 at 4:21 pm

My SIL LOVES Seventh Generation stuff she uses it on her baby’s stuff and loves it. I am not the most green person in the world myself.

14. Robin (Masshole Mommy) on January 4, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Admittedly, I am not very green, so I would love to find some ways to be more-so in 2016!

15. dawn on January 2, 2016 at 11:04 pm

what an awesome list. thanks so much for sharing. my mother started me recycling about 4 years back and i have continued to do it.

16. Kathy on January 2, 2016 at 10:52 pm

This is a great list. I try to be as green as possible. I’m always recycling. It actually bugs me a lot when I see others throwing away something that can be recycled.

17. Chelley @ A is For Adelaide on January 2, 2016 at 9:32 pm

We went 100% cloth diapering and air drying all we could this year. We also are switching all of our bulbs to be more energy efficient. So much more we can do, though, and we are working on that!

18. Chrysa on January 2, 2016 at 8:02 pm

This are some great ideas for resolutions. I already do most of them, except for letting the clothes air dry. We like our clothes softened by the dryer and it’s so hard to get used to the air dried. I guess we need to try again.

19. Scarlet on January 2, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Oh my goodness. I rarely air dry my clothes because a dryer line never appealed to me but Installing a hanger bar is a brilliant idea. Then you hang and you are done. No folding needed either. Yes!

20. Pam on January 2, 2016 at 2:45 pm

We practice most of those tips ourselves. It is hard to air dry all of our clothing. I tried using a clothes line and we ended up getting allergens from outdoors! I spend a lot of my time turning off lights too!