National Adoption Day & Making Family Traditions

Honey Maid Graham Crackers are a classic treat I remember as a kid. With a history dating back to 100 years, graham crackers have evolved but still possess many of their original traits that so many have come to love and what keeps them a family favorite in many households.

Graham Crackers And Milk kids eating together cookies
Since a small kid, I remember for a snack or dessert, I would get a glass of milk and a pack of Honey Maid Graham Crackers. I love to stack them up, and just dunk them. With kids of our own, we have passed on many traditions including graham crackers and milk. We love to sit around and for some reason it’s just fun to dunk and eat.
Honey Maid Graham Crackers And Milk Classic Snack Dessert
Having come from a Foster story and National Adoption Day being this November 21st (11/21) I feel I have a personal story and obligation to share the importance of family and awareness for many who may never have the chance to have parents of their own. Not only do I want my kids to have a better childhood than me, I also have many great things I that I love to pass down to them. I could have been left to be bounced around in the Foster Care system, but luckily my aunt and uncle took care of me and raised me to be capable of raising my own children. So its important to me that people know about adoption and maybe just making 1 or a few people aware, will change a real life!

So much has changed as well including what the American family represents.

• Nearly 40% of children do not have the chance to live with both of their biological parents. 62% of children actually live their two biological parents [1]
  • More than 125,000 same-sex couples raising children in the U.S. [2]
  • 5 million and more American families [3] have been touched by adoption. More than 100,000 children are available for adoption [4] .

[1] http://ncfmr.bgsu.edu/pdf/family_profiles/file139447.pdf

[2] http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/LGBT-Parenting.pdf

[3] 2010 U.S. Census

[4] Adoption Statistics: National Adoption Month

Honey Maid Graham Crackers history
Just like the American Family, Honey Maid has also changed over its 90-year heritage. With many names for their classic graham crackers to the newest Teddy Grahams to take shape, Honey Maid is simply whole grains and real honey. No high fructose corn syrup or artificial colors, just goodness! Same goes for family, no matter what, it is all good!

Honey Maid Graham Crackers And Milk Classic Snack Dessert (4)Check out this fun video recipe to make Very Berry “Cheesecakes.”

I love that graham crackers can be eaten plain, but paring them for so many treats like classic graham cracker s’mores to crust for pies, I think the possibilities may be endless? And I love graham cracker crust for almost any pie.

For an easy and simple on-the-go option for a family with kids, Teddy Grahams are fun and our kids love their little shapes. I am happy to know they are made with 8g whole grains in a 30g serving. Teddy Grahams come in six delicious flavors that include honey, chocolatey chip and the new Teddy Birthday Cake flavor, the kids can have fun while getting something they will love to snack on.

Honey Maid Graham CrackersCheck out Honey Maid on Twitter @HoneyMaidSnacks and Honey Maid on Facebook.

I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

1. shelly peterson on December 23, 2015 at 8:01 am

Glad to see adoption is recognized with National Adoption Day. Adoption I such a good thing, Thanks for sharing you story.

2. Janet W. on December 19, 2015 at 4:32 am

I love that this brand is recognizing Adoption Day! We love to eat these as snacks in our household.

3. Amy D on November 19, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Your girls are so adorable! I do not have any foster children, or adopted ones but it is something i would consider.

4. Janis @MommyBlogExpert on November 19, 2015 at 1:08 pm

So glad there’s a day to recognize Adoption. I have some very good friends who have adopted multiple kids and they are the best parents ever. Their families are AWESOME too!

5. Dogvills on November 19, 2015 at 8:25 am

I use Honey Maid a lot when baking. There are so many children who need parents and it’s so nice that there are many people who are willing to become foster parents.

6. Onica {mommy factor} on November 19, 2015 at 12:20 am

Honey maid is really fantastic, my kids and I were love it.

7. Autumn @Mamachallenge on November 18, 2015 at 10:42 pm

It is awesome that Honeymaid is getting behind such an important thing like National Adaption day. My family loves graham crackets and everything you can make with them.

8. Aimee Smith on November 18, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Birthday Cake flavor!? That sounds yummy! What a great story, your aunt and uncle sound awesome.

9. Vera Sweeney on November 18, 2015 at 9:51 pm

I love that Honeymaid is celebrating national adaption day like this! There are so many recipes you can make with graham crackers.

10. Liz Mays on November 18, 2015 at 8:20 pm

Mmm graham crackers are perfect for so many snacks. I can’t believe I haven’t tried graham crackers and milk!

11. Mistee Dawn on November 18, 2015 at 7:04 pm

Happy National Adoption day! We have many family traditions that I hope to keep going for years to come!

12. Tammi Roy on November 18, 2015 at 6:59 pm

Graham cracker s’mores is my favorite sweet treat. I love making new treats to try. I will have to try a few of these recipes.

13. Kelly Hutchinson on November 18, 2015 at 7:10 pm

Thank you for sharing such a personal story. I love that your aunt and uncle took you in.

14. Jeanine on November 18, 2015 at 6:09 pm

I haven’t had Honey Maid in so long. Foster Parents are some real amazing people. I think they are just incredible.

15. Ann Bacciaglia on November 18, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Adoption is such a beautiful thing. I knew a girl that was adopted as a teenager. She was so happy to be part of the family.

16. Elizabeth Lampman on November 18, 2015 at 7:01 pm

There are so many great recipes you can make with Graham crackers. I will have to try a cheesecake recipe.

17. Stacie on November 18, 2015 at 5:47 pm

There are so many children that need parents. I believe that being a parent comes down to unconditional love. There should be more people out there like your aunt and uncle who step up.

18. Seattle Travel Blogger on November 18, 2015 at 5:45 pm

Honey Maid Graham Crackers bring back so many family memories for me!
    I do not think this wonderful product will ever go out of vogue.

19. Jennifer on November 18, 2015 at 4:05 pm

I think people who adopt are the salt of the earth. So many people out there think that if they didn’t actually make the child that it doesn’t count. It’s sad, but I’ve heard it alot. =(

20. Amber Edwards on November 18, 2015 at 3:24 pm

My neighbors growing up were foster parents and they were the most amazing people. They truly made such a huge different in so many kid’s lives! I think foster parenting and adoption is such a beautiful thing.

21. Jeanette on November 18, 2015 at 11:42 am

My brother and sister in law want to do this and I have a few friends that do this. It is amazing what those people do for kids they don’t know and those kids are awesome! They all deserve love!

22. Robin (Masshole Mommy) on November 18, 2015 at 10:38 am

I think foster parents are amazing. Gkad you had people who took you in.