Creating Meals Our Family Loves With DiGiorno #YouBeTheJudge

Kids making pizza (1)Our weeknights are so busy with some nights we have figure out something quick and easy for dinner. We often look to what needs to be used up in the fridge and sometimes that’s the way to go when it comes to quick and easy meals. We can also save time by all pitching in as a family to create the food we eat. Who doesn’t enjoy creating meals together as a family and we are happy to partner with DiGiorno on this post. #YouBeTheJudge

I thought it was great idea when I heard that the makers of DiGiorno created a campaign called Balance Your Plate. This educational program was designed to help families build nutritious, delicious, and convenient meals that meet the Dietary Guidelines for Americans. While our family likes quick and easy meals we like to make sure we are eating healthy consuming the proper balance of different food categories.

know your plateBalance Your Plate is here to help parents and more moms like me to remember to plan healthy and nutritious meals as well as providing some tips for planning those meals. Like this pizza portion guide with everything in a simple infographic showing an easy to follow guideline of portion sizes that are balanced in nutrition.

Kids making pizza (8)One of our best tips to getting our kids to eat more fresh vegetables is getting them to help out in the kitchen. Making the salad and adding in fresh veggies is a great way to get them excited about the meal as well as teaching them fresh produce and introduction fun textures. We like to do other fun things with vegatables like top our favorite DiGiorno pizza with plenty of fresh toppings. Kids making pizza (9)With eating pizza, a good guideline to follow is portion your pizza slice to the size of your hand. Load your plate with salad or a delicious Mediterranean inspired salad and fresh fruits. Kids making pizza meal veggiesIt’s even more important that as parents we stayed healthy by eating a large amount of veggies. Not only for our long term health but also to have the energy everyday to tackle it and last the rest of the day. Making sure our plates are balanced is equally important. Meals can still be fun and loaded with toppings and  ingredients. Fool the family with freshly prepared brick style pizza with DIGIORNO® pizzeria!™ THIN crust pizza. Kids making pizza (7)It was fun making a loaded pizza. For the kids they made it easy with olices, onion, pepperoni, and for the adults we went with artichoke hearts, pineapple, tomatoe chunks, red onion, feta, and it was so good!

DIGIORNO® wants to inspire families to better balance their plates and get involved with your kids in the kitchen. Be sure to stay connected with DIGIORNO on Facebook and Twitter.

What are your favorite healthy side dishes?

1. Maggie Branch on November 16, 2015 at 11:25 am

My favorite side is a Greek salad or if I’m looking for easy, some cucumbers and peppers cut up. I love veggies! That is interesting that your pizza serving should be about the size of your hand.

2. CourtneyLynne on November 16, 2015 at 10:10 am

Omg my daughter is pizza obsessed so we have been letting her dress up pizzas with healthy stuff to get her to eat the healthy stuff! Funny how you can trick little ones like that 😉

3. Yona Williams on November 13, 2015 at 7:56 am

I like steamed vegetables as a healthy side dish. I think it would be fun to create your own pizza with Digiorno.

4. Mimi "MimiCuteLips" Green on November 12, 2015 at 5:19 pm

My kids love fruit and eat it with everything. My son also loves veggies so he will eat them with anything or by themselves.

5. Kiwi on November 12, 2015 at 2:35 am

You know what the kids loaded pizza I would totally eat! I used to didnt eat pineapples on my pizza but I do all the time now!

6. shelly peterson on November 11, 2015 at 4:44 pm

What fun for the family, they looked like they were having lots of fun. My grandson loves to help in the kitchen. The pizza looks yummy!

7. Katharina on November 11, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Homemade pizza is the best! It doesn’t only taste better, it is so much healthier. You are doing a great thing or your kids!

8. Rose on November 11, 2015 at 3:17 pm

That’s a great looking meal right there. My mom loves Digiorno.

9. Brandy on November 11, 2015 at 2:12 pm

I love DiGorno so much! They make the best pizza to cook at home! I love the idea of that portion plate you have, I want one or two, actually three for my kiddos!

10. Dina on November 11, 2015 at 12:49 pm

I love pizza. I would never have thought to pair it with a yummy cucumber salad though. YUMMO!!!

11. Emma Spellman on November 11, 2015 at 12:47 pm

This looks so beautiful and healthy! My 3 year old loves making pizza with me.

12. Janis @MommyBlogExpert on November 11, 2015 at 12:37 pm

What fun for the kids to make their own pizza. Children are always so excited when they can make, bake and then eat something they’ve made themselves.

13. Elena on November 11, 2015 at 12:32 pm

I love steamed broccoli

14. Melissa on November 11, 2015 at 12:30 pm

That looks like a fun way to spend the afternoon. Plus that pizza looks so good too!

15. Ourfamilyworld on November 11, 2015 at 11:59 am

The pizza looks mouth watering. The girls looked like they had so much fun.

16. lisa on November 11, 2015 at 11:10 am

We love making our own pizzas. It’s so much healthier than getting it from a restaurant. I try to teach my kids the importance of healthy eating.

17. Dandi D on November 11, 2015 at 10:25 am

Pizza is one of my favorite things to make with my kids.

18. Tatanisha Pitts-Worthey on November 11, 2015 at 10:22 am

What a fun way to bond with kids – and looks very tasty too!! It is a great to involve kids in the kitchen once in a while

19. Mary Larsen on November 11, 2015 at 8:00 am

It’s so important to get the little ones involved in the cooking process to see what it entails. They’re more likely to each it too.

20. Chubskulit Rose on November 11, 2015 at 5:57 am

We used to buy DiGiorno and we loved it. The pizza looks so delicious and that asparagus, yum!

21. Annemarie LeBlanc on November 11, 2015 at 3:25 am

Terrific looking pizza! If there was one thing I would love other than the pizza would be to see my kids help around in the kitchen! My gosh, they eat like they came from a hunger strike.

22. Tammilletips on November 11, 2015 at 1:33 am

I love that you added veggies with the pizza for dinner! We have added veggies to our pizzas before it was delicious!

23. Vera Sweeney on November 11, 2015 at 1:05 am

Love the idea of adding your own toppings to a pizza. What a great way to add healthy side dishes.

24. Autumn @Mamachallenge on November 11, 2015 at 12:02 am

My kids love pizza and really enjoy making their own at home! It is always a lot of fun to do as a family.

25. ricci on November 10, 2015 at 9:25 pm

I try to balance my plate too but I have been slacking on my veggies lately!! I need to work on that!

26. Kristi on November 10, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Hmmm… our favorite side dish. We don’t really have a favorite. We like salad and spinach and that goes great with pizza.

27. Tammi Roy on November 10, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Digiorno is a great idea for dinner in a hurry. It is always delicious. We like to have salads with our meals.

28. Mistee Dawn on November 10, 2015 at 7:13 pm

We love Digiorno! We actually had one tonight. We loved healthy side dishes like salads, asparagus and other veggies.

29. Shauna on November 10, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Now that looks like an amazing pizza. Your girls looked like they were having a blast being so hands on.

30. Elizabeth Lampman on November 10, 2015 at 7:30 pm

We love to make our own pizza. It is a great way to get the kids to eat more veggies. Our favorite side dish is roasted squash. The kids love it.

31. Ann Bacciaglia on November 10, 2015 at 7:29 pm

We love to snack on fresh veggies. Steamed Broccoli is my favorite side dish with a hint of garlic and pepper.

32. Stacie on November 10, 2015 at 6:42 pm

It’s hard to pick a favourite side dish. This pizza looks delicious. I love having homemade pizza. Nothing compares.

33. Robin (Masshole Mommy) on November 10, 2015 at 5:43 pm

My boys love helping out in the kitchen! Making homemade pizza is one of our favorites.

34. Brett Martin on November 10, 2015 at 5:21 pm

My kids are older and getting interested in learning to cook. A homemade pizza would be fun.

35. Kelly Hutchinson on November 10, 2015 at 4:39 pm

I love it when my kids are in the kitchen with me. It is such a fun way to bond together.

36. Liz Mays on November 10, 2015 at 4:16 pm

This is such a fun way to learn about healthy portions. I love a good Digiorno pizza, especially when they’re healthy!

37. Jeanette on November 10, 2015 at 4:15 pm

My kiddo loves making his own pizza. Family time is important and spending time in the kitchen with the family is a great way to do this!

38. Chelley @ A is For Adelaide on November 10, 2015 at 4:08 pm

I love when kids get involved with making dinner, too. I always know they will devour every bit on their plate when they have a hand in making it!

39. Jennifer on November 10, 2015 at 3:34 pm

DiGiorno is my favorite pizza. I’ve never thought about putting my own toppings on it before. That’s a great idea!

40. Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle on November 10, 2015 at 3:04 pm

That looks so good. One of our favorite things to do is dress up our pizzas. It’s so much fun to put the ingredients that we love on them.

41. Julie Wood on November 10, 2015 at 10:51 am

We make Healthy honey butter Brussel sprouts in the onion. We love my zucchini fries or sweet potato fries recipe. We love Digiorno pizza. It is so good.

• Liz Mays on November 10, 2015 at 5:53 pm

Oh yum those sides do sound good. Zucchini or sweet potato fries would be great with pizza.