My Trip to the Tom’s of Maine Headquarters

Kennebunkport, Maine beachLast week I had the chance to head to Kennebunkport, Maine to meet my fellow Goodness Circle members and learn more about one of the brands we use most in our home. You might know Tom’s of Maine for their toothpaste but they really are so much more than that.
toms of maine productOne of the core values of people who work at Tom’s of Maine is giving back. Giving back to their community and to the communities all around this country. In fact even 10% of their profits are given to charity. They go even further by encouraging their employees to give back to causes that are meaningful to them, giving them time to make it happen. 5% of their work time goes to their volunteer efforts!  I knew we were truly a part of the Tom’s of Maine family when we also had the chance to give back by helping clean up the local community. toms of Maine trip
I learned right away that a little goes a long way and the more hands you have to help the more that can be done. I really enjoyed spending time with the other Goodness Circle members and we really did accomplish a lot in a short time. I can easily see why their employees were so eager to tell us about the projects they’ve helped support, it felt really great to come together and give back! toms of Maine trip instagramOne of the best parts of the trip was going to the Tom’s of Maine factory in Stanford, Maine. Pulling up you could smell the fresh mint, I knew we were going to have fun when we put on hairnets and safety googles. Touring the facility we got to learn more about the history of Tom’s of Maine.

It all began when two parents, Tom and Kate Chappell moved to rural Kennebunkport, Maine with their children. Looking to simplify their life they looked for products that were natural and simple. Unable to find any they sought out to create personal care products themselves. Kate’s garden is still on site at the factory and you can definitely smell the fresh herbs walking along the path. kates garden toms of maineTom’s of Maine set out with simple beginnings, this stand mixer is where it all started. We learned that Tom’s of Maine takes quality and safety very seriously. Everything is kept extremely sterile and their quality procedures only became better when they became part of the Colgate-Palmolive Company. tom's of maine trip
I wasn’t surprised when we found out that at the factory generates 0% waste! That’s right, no waste. Every hair net, every piece of plastic, all the material that gets wasted is recyclable. Nothing goes to waste because it was Tom and Kate’s philosophy to create a company based on the belief that people and nature deserve respect.

It’s that philosophy that I try to teach my children and it’s even better that I get to partner and work alongside companies who share this same belief.

I encourage you to take a few minutes and get to know Tom’s of Maine. After getting to know them I’m sure you’ll understand why I chose Tom’s of Maine for our family and why I am happy to partner with them as a member of the Goodness Circle. You can get social with Tom’s of Maine on Facebook and Twitter.

Let me start first with, do you know what’s in your toothpaste?

1. Camesha | Mama Motivator on October 23, 2015 at 10:51 am

I really like Tom’s of Main. I’ve been using their deodorant and toothpaste for a while. I’m impressed with the zero waste!

2. Joe on October 22, 2015 at 8:53 pm

I love the herb garden decoration and feel! I hope I can have my own garden like the pic shows too! This is an awesome and meaning experience for lifetime. Thanks for sharing your great experience with us

3. Tami on October 22, 2015 at 4:45 am

I have never paid attention to what’s in my toothpaste. You have me curious now.

4. Angie | Big Bear's Wife on October 21, 2015 at 4:37 pm

That’s amazing that the company generates 0% waste! How amazing! Loved learning about TOMS!

5. Jenn on October 21, 2015 at 2:21 pm

What an amazing company. I have used Tom products before, but I thought they were just health products. I didn’t realize that they were so concerned about the environment too! That is awesome to know that a company cares so much!

6. Rose on October 21, 2015 at 12:43 pm

I like that they’re giving back. I’ve never heard anything but good about Tom’s of Maine products.

7. Ann Bacciaglia on October 21, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Toms makes great products. It would be so fun to go to the headquarters. I did some research on toothpaste a few months ago. I could not believe all the chemicals that are in some kinds.

8. Crystal Lopez on October 21, 2015 at 11:14 am

What an awesome experience. I am sure this made for an interesting visit and what a great product base to explore.

9. Bonnie @wemake7 on October 21, 2015 at 10:49 am

Sounds fun! I live in Maine myself and would have loved to have gone. =)

10. Courtney on October 21, 2015 at 10:08 am

It was so nice to meet you Kristin! 🙂

11. Ourfamilyworld on October 21, 2015 at 9:07 am

What a great experience. I’m all about supporting companies that give back. I’ve been buying some of their products.

12. Melissa on October 21, 2015 at 7:45 am

This looks like a fun and educational trip. I would love to visit there!

13. Tatanisha Pitts-Worthey on October 21, 2015 at 5:47 am

Tom’s of Maine has become a mainstream brand among health-conscious consumers. I’ve used several of their products too and I personally loved it. This must have been an amazing experience to actually visit their headquarters.

14. Tatanisha Pitts-Worthey on October 21, 2015 at 5:46 am

Tom’s of Maine has become a mainstream brand among health-conscious consumers. I’ve used several of their products too and I personally loved it. This must have been an amazing experience to actually visit their head quaters.

15. Annemarie LeBlanc on October 20, 2015 at 10:28 pm

I usually patronize products whose companies ensure that they give back to the community. It is great to hear that they donate 10% of their profits to charity. That alone is enough reason to keep buying their products. Kudos to Tom’s of Maine.

16. ricci on October 20, 2015 at 8:23 pm

You got to visit and work with the Tom’s people?! How exciting!! I love their products, especially their toothpaste!!

17. Chubskulit Rose on October 20, 2015 at 5:14 pm

We buy their toothpaste and soap. I am a firm believer of using products that uses natural ingredients.

18. Savannah Miller on October 20, 2015 at 4:49 pm

My family started to use this brand a few years ago. I was shocked to learn what was in my past toothpaste brand and switched us all over 🙂

19. Robin (Masshole Mommy) on October 20, 2015 at 4:30 pm

That sounds like a neat experience. I have been using their toothpaste for years.

20. lisa on October 20, 2015 at 4:08 pm

I’ve always been curious about the Tom’s brand. My mom uses the deodorant and it sounds like a good company. I love that they give back to the community and to charities.

21. Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle on October 20, 2015 at 3:37 pm

That must have been a blast. Tom’s of Main has such great products that are also safe. I’d love to see where they make it all happen.

22. Grace Hodgin on October 20, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Visiting their factory would be fun! I would love to visit Maine. I am familiar with their name because of their toothpaste.

23. Yona Williams on September 22, 2015 at 7:29 am

I’ve never been to a headquarters or factory for a product that I use, but I bet it’s very cool to experience. I’ve heard such good things about Tom’s of Maine. Kate’s Herb Garden looks like something fun to see.

24. Chanel | Cultural Xplorer on September 20, 2015 at 9:48 pm

I love companies that reduce, reuse, and recycle. Originally I thought this was about the shoe company and then realized it was the toothpaste people when I clicked on the link! 😀

25. Dogvills on September 20, 2015 at 5:40 pm

This is good to know. I see Tom of Maine’s products around, but I have never tried them. It’s so nice to know that they are strict on quality and they zero wastage. I want to support companies that give back. I will definitely get their products next time.

26. Jeannette on September 20, 2015 at 5:30 pm

Wow – thanks for the inside look at your trip! I’ll admit I’m not super familiar with the Tom’s of Maine brand but this has sparked my interest and I want to check them out.

27. Tracy @ Ascending Butterfly on September 20, 2015 at 4:54 pm

Every time I hear the name Toms I think of the shoe company, are they owned by the same parent company or something or is it just a coincidence?

28. Melissa Pezza on September 20, 2015 at 3:57 pm

What a great experience. I’m so not surprised that their headquarters is like that. It maker perfect sense, considering their products.