The Spicy California Grilled Frank With Coleslaw

We have spent so much time having fun this summer. Our days are filled with fun here in southern California and we enjoy spending time enjoying everything there is to do. We also spend time enjoying simple things like swimming and summer BBQ’s.brooklin pool

For those summer meals I don’t like to think too much about what to cook. Hebrew National All-Beef Franks are made from premium cuts of beef from the front half of the cow and I know that with Hebrew National I’m getting the best of the best. It’s why we serve Hebrew National at all of our summer BBQ’s. OOL_6911[1]

To celebrate all the sun we’ve had here at home in California this summer, I wanted to create a fun dog and side dish that really described where we are from. Cool beach cities and light and fresh foods, Californians also like it spicy so just a little heat to kick it up a notch. hebrew national

That’s why I created the sweet and spicy California dog! Made with fresh and tangy coleslaw and a cucumber and jalapeno topping, your entire end of summer BBQ will be delighted with this dog! The combination of franks and these toppings may not be Kosher.hebrew national california dog
Easy California Style Slaw

• 3 cups of cabbage shredded
  • 1 onion
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 1 shredded carrot
  • 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1 TBSP sugar
  • 1/2 TSP salt
  • 1/4 TSP black pepper
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 chopped jalapeno

OOL_6888[1]
I am a big fan of simple salads so this is one of those side dishes that you just mix together and allow to cool in the refrigerator for an hour before serving.

OOL_6907[1]
I used the same cabbage and carrot mix and added a little sliced cucumber. Mixed in a bowl with a little jalapeno and rice wine vinegar and topped with a basil infused sour cream.

OOL_6941[1]

Serve the slaw over baby arugula and you have a fresh and delicious California style slaw and beef frank.

OOL_6929[1]

The best summer meals are spent with family. Making memories together is what it’s all about and I’m so glad that this summer we’ve taken the time to enjoy ourselves. With vacations, play dates and an end of summer BBQ.

hot dogs

What makes a Hebrew National kosher hot dog premium? It’s all about what makes the cut (And what doesn’t). We’re choosy about what goes into our franks – we use only premium cuts of 100% kosher beef from the front half of the cow and then choose the best from that. No artificial flavors, colors, fillers or by-products. When your hot dog is Kosher, that’s a hot dog you can trust! For more summer fun with Hebrew National, visit facebook.com/hebrewnational.

What are your favorite ways to celebrate your hometown?

AuthorLogo

1. Julie Wood on September 12, 2015 at 5:50 am

Hebrew franks are so delicious and with coleslaw on top it really makes them taste so good. I will have to make your coleslaw! It looks pretty and sounds delicious!!

2. David on August 23, 2015 at 9:48 am

I have eaten coleslaw on a burger, but never on a hot dog. This looks like something worth trying.

3. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen on August 9, 2015 at 8:22 am

I love hotdogs and slaws but I haven’t tried Hebrew National brand yet. I wonder if it’s available here.

4. Yona Williams on August 7, 2015 at 7:16 pm

I love a good hot dog on the grill. One thing I have not put on one is anything cole slaw-related.

5. Rosey on August 7, 2015 at 9:47 am

I love the idea of putting coleslaw on the grilled hotdog. I think this would be a hit here too.

6. Megan @ Wit & Wander on August 7, 2015 at 9:35 am

Oh my – those look amazing! We have been seeing the Hebrew National commercials lately, but we have never tried the hot dogs. I will definitely have to pick up a package now!

Also, we are from Chicago, so it’s pickle relish and mustard for our family!

7. Krystal on August 6, 2015 at 7:51 am

This is one unique dish! I would never have thought to top my dog like this!

8. Jeanine on August 6, 2015 at 6:10 am

Yum! This looks delicious. Lately I’ve been wanting spice. Anything spicy, and this would be perfect! Looks great!

9. Kelly Hutchinson on August 5, 2015 at 6:55 pm

There is noting I like better in the summer than a hot dog on the grill. That slaw sounds so yummy.

10. Nikki on August 5, 2015 at 6:46 pm

I love the coleslaw. perfect toppings on the hotdog you had a great summer . i wanna tr this my son would love hotdogs

11. Marielle Altenor on August 5, 2015 at 5:52 pm

Summer is all about grilling! I love the idea of a spicy hot dog in the summer time! Looks delicious!

12. Michelle @ Dishes and Dust Bunnies on August 5, 2015 at 4:50 pm

This sounds like it would make for an incredible meal! Can’t wait to try this!

13. CourtneyLynne on August 5, 2015 at 1:21 pm

We have been all about grilling since it’s finally nice here in NY!!! We will have to try this out next time we are grilling hot dogs!

14. Erin on August 5, 2015 at 9:12 am

That slaw looks absolutely amazing! I need to add this to my recipe line up stat!

15. Shaney Vijendranath on August 5, 2015 at 6:09 am

This post makes me want summer to come fast so I can host some parties at home! That looks so delicious, I’m sure it will be a hit with everyone.

16. HilLesha on August 4, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Even though I’m a vegetarian, I must admit that this looks delicious! I know that my children would certainly love this. 🙂

17. Mimi "MimiCuteLips" Green on August 4, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Yummy, I love coleslaw and it sounds amazing on a hot dog. I need to grill us some hot dogs before the summer is over.

18. Mistee Dawn on August 4, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Yum! That slaw looks amazing and I bet my hubby would love it! He loves Hebrew Brand hot dogs! Might have to make some this weekend!

19. Cherri Megasko on August 4, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Hot dogs are one of my favorites any time of year, but especially in summertime. And when they’re all-beef you know they’re healthier and tastier.

20. Bonnie @ wemake7 on August 4, 2015 at 4:09 pm

I guess I don’t really celebrate our home town but I could go for one of those hotdogs right now. =) Looks yummy.

21. Ann Bacciaglia on August 4, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Coleslaw on a hot dog is a delicious idea. I will have to make some and try it. I am having a BBQ next week and this would be fun to serve.

22. Becky on August 4, 2015 at 2:33 pm

That slaw sounds amazing and the perfect topper for a good dog!! I love the little added kick paired with the creaminess of the basil infused sour cream!! YUM!!

23. Uplifting Families on August 4, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Yummy, this looks so good. I don’t eat a ton of hot dogs anymore because it’s too high in nitrates. It’s bad for fibromyalgia.

24. Grace Hodgin on August 4, 2015 at 11:44 am

Why is it that coleslaw makes such a great topper? We love it on our beanburgers. My grandkids love hotdogs so I’ll let my daughter know about this brand as it is so important to buy from a company that uses quality meat for the hotdogs.

25. Theresa on August 4, 2015 at 11:42 am

These look delicious! It’s my favorite brand of hot dog too. Can’t wait to go buy some for hot dog night.

26. Amanda on August 4, 2015 at 10:35 am

Looks tasty! I never thought of putting coleslaw on a hotdog before. I’ll have to give it a try sometime.

27. Nickida on August 4, 2015 at 9:42 am

That Hebrew Nation hotdog looks really good.

28. Lynndee on August 4, 2015 at 9:02 am

We love grilling franks or hotdogs or brats, but we’ve never tried it with slaw. That looks so delish! I can’t wait to try it!

29. Tatanisha Pitts-Worthey on August 4, 2015 at 8:22 am

Oh that looks yumyum! Perfect with the coleslaw!

30. Rosey on August 4, 2015 at 6:22 am

I like that you put jalepeno in there. That always adds a nice kick.

31. Chubskulit Rose on August 4, 2015 at 3:36 am

My husband would love this as he like hotdog in a bun although he is not a fan of coleslaw. I’s settle for the veggies!

32. Alli on August 4, 2015 at 3:18 am

Hebrew National are the only beef franks I buy for my family. And coleslaw is the perfect topping! Looks delish!

33. Ourfamilyworld on August 4, 2015 at 2:18 am

That looks so yummy! I’ve never had a hotdog sandwich in a long time. I need to try this.

34. Rebecca Swenor on August 4, 2015 at 1:50 am

These hot dogs look so good on the grill. I love BBQ’s and most of the summer we do a lot of it. I have not yet tried the Hebrew National hot dogs yet but they are something I will have to pick up. The coleslaw my family would totally love so I will have to make it for them. Thanks for sharing.

35. Annemarie LeBlanc on August 4, 2015 at 12:42 am

Great delicious topping for a great hotdog. I love all the grilling during summer and hotdogs are always included in the “to grill” list. Thanks for informing us about Kosher. It is a must try!

36. tiaras & tantrums on August 3, 2015 at 9:31 pm

only dogs I buy and I totally love a hot dog with cole slaw on it – it is the only way I will eat it any more – and this is from a Chicago girl who cant’ find a restaurant who will make them this way!

37. mhie Lee on August 3, 2015 at 8:17 pm

I’d love everything on your recipe except the Jalapeño. I like spicy but my stomach can’t handle it.

38. Liz Mays on August 3, 2015 at 6:58 pm

My boyfriend would love this recipe. I’m going to have to try making that coleslaw the next time we grill.

39. Sandy KS on August 3, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Those all beef franks look really good. I have never of or seen that brand in my area. I buy all beef hotdogs for my boyfriend because he is allergic to pork.

40. ARod on August 3, 2015 at 11:37 am

I love me a good grilled hot dog. And this coleslaw sounds and looks yummy will have to give this combination a try. Thanks so much for sharing.

41. Christy Maurer on August 3, 2015 at 11:31 am

That looks really good! I have had coleslaw on my hotdogs before and love it. I wouldn’t have thought of adding sour cream. Yum!

42. Robin (Masshole Mommy) on August 3, 2015 at 10:47 am

That sounds absolutely delicious. I have never had coleslaw ON a hotdog. What an awesome idea this is.

43. Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle on August 3, 2015 at 10:37 am

That sounds so good! I’ve never had a hot dog like this before.