Tips for Traveling with Kids with Wyndham Vacation Rentals #VRMonth

traveling with kids

Happy car rides aren’t always this happy and with July being National Vacation Rental Month, this is the time of year when the greatest number of travelers enjoy their time away from home. I will say that as for our girls, they’re plenty happy to get in the car if we’re going on vacation but not every trip is always seamless. It seems there is more problems just trying to get them into the car than being in the car for hours on end.

We love to travel around the Southwest and want to work our way to Yosemite National Park someday. But until then the Western half of the United States has to much to offer and is within driving distance to so many major cities Like Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, no matter where you are there is some awesome to see.

It’s always best to stay prepared and whether you’re driving a hundreds miles away or flying, when it comes to traveling with kids being prepared to expect the unexpected is a must. From dealing with potty issues, to messes, being hungry it can be a job in itself.

mia airplane ride

5 Simple Tips for Traveling with Kids

1. Pack Smart – Have each child pack a light backpack or bag for traveling. This is great for a plane ride or a road trip. An extra outfit, toys, crayons and a few snacks. Their bags are also a great place to store sippy cups or any water bottles to take along.
  2. Take Your Time – Plan to leave ahead f time if you’re at the airport. Spend more time sight seeing and spend less time dealing with those childhood meltdowns. Toddlers love to roam so take your time to let your children experience your travels. You’ll spend less time dealing with meltdowns come nap time.
  3. Get Digital – Give your kids their own cameras to document your travels. My husband loves to let our girls record on the video cameras, take the time to pack extra cables and batteries if needed.
  4. Don’t Forget Medicine – I’m not sure if it’s all the activity or the dense foods we eat while on vacation but someone ends up needed something. Being prepared with extra medicine like pain reliever and band aids is a life saver. Pack small, but pack smart.
  5. Stay Smart – From extra space, privacy and greater savings to convenient in-home amenities like fully-equipped kitchens, living rooms and multiple bedrooms, a vacation rental is perfect for families who travel.

Scorpion Island National Park California (3)

No matter what you do, the most important is to have the best time of your life! We always make sure to stay somewhere that will just leave us with great memories and a comfortable stay. It’s nice to have an upscale place to stay while your family on any adventure and especially important to us adults for when we want to relax after a day with 3 small kids.

Wyndham Vacation Rentals are a great choice for families because you can get the added bonus of hotel-like amenities at many of their properties. These services include things such as shuttle service, a concierge desk, and housekeeping. It’s the best of both worlds! We can find a vacation rental property almost anywhere we are traveling with a cost saving benefit and space a family like our would need. With 3 kids and that need a lot, having that extra space and amenities are super important.

Wyndham Vacation Rentals is celebrating the vacation rental journey all month long with its Road to Happiness Sweepstakes! Join in on 33 days of giveaways and the chance to win the grand prize: your own road trip getaway. Enter now and learn how to play at Road2HappySweeps.com!

To enjoy your own vacation rental experience, visit WyndhamVacationRentals.com. And find @Wyndham_Rentals on Twitter and Wyndham Vacation Rentals on Facebook.

What are your best tips for traveling with kids?

I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

1. Lee McKeon on July 29, 2015 at 9:00 pm

We have to have plenty of snacks and beverages!

2. Gabriel on July 27, 2015 at 6:35 am

This is the only way to vacation if you have a family. Being able to prep your own meals, the kids having space to move is amazing. Having a washer and dryer handy means you can pack a lot lighter – the benefits are endless.

3. Aisha Kristine Chong on July 24, 2015 at 9:22 pm

I don’t have kids yet for me to know the tricks to it but I do know travelling with kids are tricky – thanks for sharing.

4. HilLesha on July 22, 2015 at 8:54 pm

I’ll admit that it isn’t the easiest traveling with my toddler, as those terrible 2s are finally catching up with her at 3 years old. ~lol~ These are wonderful tips, though!

5. Rebecca Swenor on July 22, 2015 at 12:50 pm

These are great tips for traveling with kids for sure. I didn’t know it was National Vacation Rental Month and this does sound like an awesome sweepstakes indeed.Thanks for sharing.

6. CourtneyLynne on July 22, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Vacation rentals are defy the way to go especially is you have kiddos! I lived in Orlando for years and would always recommend a rental!

7. Nikki on July 22, 2015 at 11:33 am

My best tips for traveling with kids: make sure you bring plenty of entertainment along for the actual trip! The driving/flying etc is the worst part I think. If you can get through that, the rest is a breeze!

8. Nickida on July 22, 2015 at 8:58 am

Traveling with our kids does require a little extra effort. We have a son with Autism so we need to make sure we plan for things that is accommodating to his needs and he also has asthma so we need to make sure we carry his meds.

9. Nancy @ Whispered Inspirations on July 22, 2015 at 7:27 am

To always make more time than you need. Leave earlier, wake up earlier and go at their pace.

10. Shaney Vijendranath on July 22, 2015 at 4:24 am

We travelling soon so I need all the tips I can get! My toddler can’t sit still. Definitely taking her colouring book!

11. Annemarie LeBlanc on July 22, 2015 at 3:18 am

I make sure I always have emergency medicines whenever I travel with the kids. It is always smart to do this because it is best to be prepared if something comes up. Thanks for the tips!

12. Mykidsguide on July 22, 2015 at 2:51 am

These are awesome tips. We bring lots of food and activities when we travel. This ensures my kids will stay quiet longer.

13. Joanne T Ferguson on July 22, 2015 at 12:06 am

What great tips you have highlighted today! I think most people forget that children need a bit more time and there is no way people can get to see and do everything! By pacing the family it creates a much better experience and everyone can enjoy traveling stress free! My dad was the best at distracting me with things when I was little!

14. Lisa on July 21, 2015 at 11:18 pm

These are really good tips. “Take your time” is definitely wise advice – everything takes longer with little ones along for the ride.

15. dawn on July 21, 2015 at 9:52 pm

this looks like a super cool family vaca. thanks for sharing.

16. Sabrina on July 21, 2015 at 9:21 pm

New activitys, old toys they havent seen in a long time. That’s how we survive traveling!

17. Autumn @Mamachallenge on July 21, 2015 at 9:01 pm

These are great tips! It is always important to pack snacks and toys for any trip with kids!

18. Vera Sweeney on July 21, 2015 at 8:48 pm

I am always over packing it seems for trips. These are great tips I try to be prepared for anything when we are gone.

19. Seattle Travel Blogger on July 21, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Taking your time is very important. Be sure to stop often for bathrooms and food or else you will have to deal with grumpy kids!

20. ricci on July 21, 2015 at 8:24 pm

I don’t travel with kids (since I don’t have any) but these are great tips for those that do have them! Great post!

21. Laura H on July 21, 2015 at 7:52 pm

I think this is such a cool program and perfect for families. While I’m an Empty Nester waiting on grandchildren everyone around me has children so passing this information on to them. I love when people can appreciate their trips and not have to worry 🙂

22. Franc Ramon on July 21, 2015 at 7:45 pm

I think letting the kids document their own adventure would really give them room for creativity and also a sense of freedom in their travel. They will appreciate the trip better with this one.

23. Felicita Moncada on July 21, 2015 at 7:08 pm

Great tips! I love the idea of bring medicine – there are so many times that one of my kids gets sick. They also have sensitive skin so bring Benadryl would be helpful! I’m usually scrambling for a Walgreens to pick up medicine.

24. Ann Bacciaglia on July 21, 2015 at 7:05 pm

These are great tips for travelling with kids. I try to pack lots of snacks and a few easy games to play.

25. Liz Mays on July 21, 2015 at 6:54 pm

I like the idea of giving the kids their own cameras to document the trip from their perspective. Vacation rentals sound like great options for family trips.

26. Jeannette on July 21, 2015 at 4:33 pm

These are such great tips – especially the don’t forget the medicine one! We did that on our last trip and it was no fun at all!

27. Christine Tolhurst on July 21, 2015 at 3:15 pm

I pack so much that I often overpack when we go on family trips. Making lists for different things helps me, too. Great tips!

28. lena on July 21, 2015 at 2:31 pm

I think my best tip is not get too stressed about things. Especially clothes – what can’t you buy on a way?

29. Christy Maurer on July 21, 2015 at 1:56 pm

My best traveling tip is to be patient. It is hard for little ones to stay still for very long. Be prepared to make tons of stops too!

30. Chubskulit Rose on July 21, 2015 at 1:31 pm

We just had our mini road trp last week and we had fun. Vacation rentals are great especially if you are staying long and with kids.

31. Shauna on July 21, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Great tips. I always pack some bandaids and medicines. Especially ear drops if we go to waterparks… 🙂 Learned my lesson! HA! Thanks for sharing…

32. Sunny M on July 21, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Vacation rentals are definitely the way to go when we travel as a family of 5. You have some really great travel tips there too!

33. Robin (Masshole Mommy) on July 21, 2015 at 12:53 pm

Sounds like a great place to stay with the family. I will have to check it out the next time we travel.

34. Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle on July 21, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Activities and food. Those are my two must haves. Hungry and/or bored kids are rotten kids. 😉

35. Jennifer on July 21, 2015 at 12:35 pm

I have children of the four legged variety, and my tip for travelling with them is to make sure you keep them occupied.

36. Mandi on July 21, 2015 at 12:32 pm

We are headed on a trip in just under 2 months with a 10 hour drive to get there and 3 kids in the van. I have books for myself, my iPhone… for them they are bringing Color Wonder, snacks, books, a blanket, more snacks, probably more snacks. We don’t really limit snacks in the car, especially when there’s traffic or heavy construction and we want them happy and quiet so the driver can focus!