Help Your Vision & Yourself To Thanksgiving Veggie Dishes

We partnered with VSP to share healthy eye information about some great Thanksgiving Veggie Dishes!

vsp logo

Have you heard the old wives tale that carrots are good for your eyesight? They are good for your eyes because they are high in vitamin A. But so is eating broccoli, brussel sprouts, and kale. There are many different food options to help your overall eye health. Vegetables high in vitamins A, C, and E can help your eyes stay healthy and help to reduce cataracts and macular degeneration. Any vegetables that are green and leafy will do the trick! Zinc and Selenium are great for the retina, which is the light sensitive part that is in the back of your eye. You can find a complete guide to healthy foods for your eyes by visiting SeeMuchMore.com in the “Learn about Your Eyes” section.

Ocular hypertension is disease caused by a poor diet that causes pressure to the optic nerve and can lead to permanent damage, glaucoma, or vision loss. Eye exams can detect this and many other possible health issues, long before symptoms are showing. Optometrists can do this by viewing the unobstructed blood vessels in the eyes. VSP Vision Care is a not-for-profit vision care company that offers the largest selection of great retail and online access and their vision plans can help save money.

sweet potato spinach avocado

Everyone knows how important it is to eat a healthy, well balanced diet, and it’s important in keeping your eyes healthy too. Here are a few easy ways to incorporate eye healthy foods in your Thanksgiving meal. We all know the classic sweet potatoes as a side dish, but the sweet things also are high in omega-3’s and can help to protect the tiny blood vessels in the eyes. Another great vegetable to serve is spinach; it helps fight cataracts because it is high in iron, thiamin, and calcium. Don’t forget to top your salad with avocado slices. These help fight numerous eye diseases including macular degeneration and cataracts. Serve these sides and be thankful for healthy eyesight and learn more about eyes at VSP Vision Careavocado spinach fresh

Studies show that eating foods rich in omega-3s can help protect tiny blood vessels in the eyes and help ensure moisture. Thanksgiving veggie dishes & recipe are great for you and your loved ones this Thanksgiving feast!sweet potato cut inside

Sweet Potato Hash (Adapted from Food.com) – Sweet potatoes provide beta carotene, just like carrots.

Ingredients:

• 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and medium diced
  • 5 strips bacon, medium diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 small red onion, medium diced
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
• Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Blanch the sweet potatoes until fork-tender. Drain and set aside.
• Heat a sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add the bacon and cook until lightly crisp.
• Add the sweet potatoes and pan-fry until the potatoes are lightly browned and crispy, approximately 3 to 4 minutes.
• Add the garlic and onions, stirring to incorporate into the hash, and cook until transparent, for approximately another 4 minutes.
• Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm and reserve.

Check out SeeMuchmore.com to find out more interesting facts!

What are some of your favorite Thanksgiving dishes that you could use these power packed veggies in?

1. Julie Wood on December 7, 2014 at 10:16 am

I use Sweet potatoes in my Sweet potato casserole instead of using them in a can. I make a healthy green bean casserole and the family loves it! I like your yummy recipe!

2. Nicole D on November 28, 2014 at 7:01 pm

I love sweet potatoes as side dishes, and I love seasoning them will jalapeno peppers, onion, some bay leaf, and salt, and pepper. So good.

3. Nancy @ Whispered Inspirations on November 21, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Mmmm, they look so fresh! 🙂 I love the avocado, I am obsessed!

4. Amy Desrosiers on November 19, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Those are some great veggies! We love sweet potatoes at our home!

5. Tiffany (Fabulous Mom Blog) on November 19, 2014 at 11:30 am

I’d like to change things up a bit here this Thanksgiving and serve Sweet Potatoes fries, instead of the old stand by casserole.

6. Maria on November 19, 2014 at 10:17 am

Vegetable dishes are my favorite! Sweet potatoes, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, & zucchini top my list.

7. ANGELE @shoeboxbegone on November 19, 2014 at 8:49 am

i love vsp vision care! big fan of sweet potatoes over here 🙂

8. Amber Louise Edwards on November 19, 2014 at 8:15 am

We always eat veggies in the house and this sounds tasty! Especially that Avocado. AHH!

9. susan on November 19, 2014 at 4:37 am

I could use these in my mashed potatoes… I also think they would be great creamed by themselves, I will surely be adding this to my thanksgiving table.

10. Jennifer on November 19, 2014 at 12:22 am

This sounds really good! I’ve never thought of using sweet potato like this before.

11. Cynthia Wright on November 18, 2014 at 11:10 pm

We love healthy veggie dishes in our home. Everything looks tasty.

12. Dawn on November 18, 2014 at 10:14 pm

This sounds really, really tasty. Sweet potato and bacon make a great combination.

13. Mistee Dawn on November 18, 2014 at 9:28 pm

I usually make quite a few veggie side dishes for Thanksgiving. Like green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn and whatever else my family adds to the menu.

14. Tammilee Tips on November 18, 2014 at 8:58 pm

We eat almost any vegetable in our house. I love finding new vegetable recipes!

15. Nolie on November 18, 2014 at 6:20 pm

I love sweet potatoes. Sadly no one else in my family does.

16. Brett on November 18, 2014 at 6:58 pm

I think our favorite would be corn. It’s easy to get the kiddos to eat that!

17. Jenn on November 18, 2014 at 6:57 pm

We eat most veggies! Try and keep everything healthy as long as we can!

18. Ronni on November 18, 2014 at 6:56 pm

We got lucky and have a small fry who actually loves most veggies! Im not sure about his eyes, but he’s convinced he’ll look like popeye from the spinach! 😉

19. Mama to 5 BLessings on November 18, 2014 at 6:23 pm

We have eye vision insurance through my husband’s employer. It definitely has been very affordable and easy to work with.

20. Tammi @ My Organized Chaos on November 18, 2014 at 5:19 pm

My oldest has an eye appt tomorrow, great timing to see this! I need to make Sweet potatoes more, they are packed with the good stuff!

21. Lisa Bristol on November 18, 2014 at 6:09 pm

I always add a big salad with every dinner we have. We try to always have two veggie options with dinner.

22. Liz Mays on November 18, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Glaucoma is something I definitely want to avoid. It’s a good thing I love all these veggies.

23. Shauna on November 18, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Great idea. I love adding extra veggies. I mean, we offer corn, green beans, squash, and broccoli for the holidays. Then I load up on veggies instead of the ‘other’ stuff… LOL

24. Jennifer Sikora on November 18, 2014 at 5:28 pm

I love Avovado. I honestly could eat it on everything.

25. Dawn on November 18, 2014 at 3:51 pm

That avocado looks tasty! Thankfully, my whole family loves veggies!

26. Robin (Masshole Mommy) on November 18, 2014 at 1:53 pm

We just serve plain old veggies – peas, carrots and corn. Yum!

27. Ann Bacciaglia on November 18, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I love to cook with Sweet Potatoes and Squash. I will have to try this recipe for my Holiday meal this year.