Easy After School Snacking – Chicken & Veggie Pies

This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of The Frozen Food Foundation for IZEA. All opinions are 100% mine.

frozen food pot pie veggie (2)I was shocked to hear that nearly 80 percent of Americans fail to consume the recommended amounts of fruit and 90 percent failing to meet daily recommendations for vegetables too. I was also surprised to see the results from The University of California-Davis (UC Davis), in partnership with the Frozen Food Foundation‘s study to evaluate the nutrient content of eight commonly-purchased frozen and fresh fruits and vegetables.

The study analyzed the vitamins and minerals in foods that had been frozen and foods that had not. Say fresh vegetables for instance and freezing fresh vegetables is simple natures pause button. Freezing locks in those nutrients and is an easy way to get more vegetables into your meals. For many family’s buying frozen vegetables is a great way to save money. Knowing that frozen is just as good as fresh allows more moms to make those healthy choices. Often times frozen vegetables are cut and cleaned and ready to go. It’s nice that when you need a quick meal you can have one in a flash and you’re not losing nutritional value.

For a quick after school snack I often use shortcuts to making meals. These mini pies are no different, filled with vegetables your kiddos are going to love this flavorful snack! frozen food pot pie veggie (6)

Chicken & Veggie Pies

Ingredients –

• 1 package frozen vegetables
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 pie crust sheet

frozen food pot pie veggie (3)

By simply mixing the vegetables and the soup and putting them in between pie crust it’s a snack my kiddos can grab on the go. So whether it’s after school on our way to the dance studio or a weekend with fun and friends this is a flavorful snack for it all!

I have a square loaf pan so I used it to keep the dough secure. You could easily bake these on a baking pan. I used a fork to close the edges and give it a crinkle.

frozen food pot pie veggie (4)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Make sure to grease the pan for easy removal and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. frozen food pot pie veggie (1)frozen food pot pie veggie (7)

You can learn more about frozen foods from the Frozen Food Foundation. Also be sure to Frozen Food Foundation Twitter and Frozen Food Foundation Facebook.

What are your favorite snacks and meals using frozen vegetables?

Visit Sponsor's Site

1. Julie Wood on December 8, 2014 at 11:05 am

I love your recipe! This is such a good idea for an afternoon snack that has veges in it. I have been roasting veges in the oven with Olive oil and garlic and my son loves it! He will eat brussel sprouts now. I make healthy whole wheat pizza snacks for my son!

2. Janet W. on November 28, 2014 at 7:22 am

This is like a tiny chicken pot pie! Looks delicious!

3. Nicole D on November 27, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Wow that crust look so flaky and so delish, they are like hot pockets, but a million times better. I have to try these. Great way to use left overs for these.

4. Joan Kubes on November 25, 2014 at 7:49 am

These look really good. I bet my son would love this afterschool snack!

5. Tiffany (A Mom's Take) on November 16, 2014 at 6:56 am

What a cute idea. I wish I were as creative as you, but I’m not, and really just heat up veggies and serve them up to my family the boring way. I should try harder.

6. Ann Bacciaglia on November 15, 2014 at 2:12 pm

I like to use frozen vegetables. They are so easy to incorporate into recipes. It is a great way to get veggies that are not in season.

7. Dawn on November 15, 2014 at 9:23 am

Wow, these look really good! I love healthy after school snacks instead of chips and such.

8. Liz Mays on November 15, 2014 at 8:53 am

Honestly, I usually just dump them in a plate or on a bowl and eat them like that. However, I really do love pot pies!

9. Christine on November 15, 2014 at 12:37 am

I love putting frozen spinach in spaghetti, eggs. ..You name it. Adds vitamins and tastes great!

10. tammileetips on November 15, 2014 at 12:12 am

What a great easy after school snack! These would make a great quick lunch to.

11. Shelley Zurek on November 14, 2014 at 10:43 pm

My sons’ would adore this hearty treat when they came home.

12. Greta on November 14, 2014 at 11:09 pm

These look really good. I like that they’re easily portable, too!

13. Mama to 5 BLessings on November 14, 2014 at 9:46 pm

These are awesome, the perfect size for kids too! I love these pans too, where did you get these at?

14. Elizabeth @ BeingMVP on November 14, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Those look delicious. I think my kids would like them!

15. Ben for Two Little Cavaliers on November 14, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Those look delicious. The kids will never see them, though. I’m going to eat them all!

16. Paula on November 14, 2014 at 8:04 pm

These sound so good! I like to use frozen veggies in recipes because the flavor is so good!

17. Amy D on November 14, 2014 at 6:52 pm

These look so darn good! Wonder if my kids would like them too?

18. Jennifer on November 14, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Those look delicious. These would actually be really great for an easy dinner. Thanks!

19. Jenn @TheRebelChick on November 14, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Oh my goodness, those remind me of like a hand pie and a pot pie all rolled into one! I am definitely going to try your recipe, they look awesome!

20. Lisa on November 14, 2014 at 3:18 pm

A portable pot pie. That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing this great recipe.

21. Maria on November 14, 2014 at 12:44 pm

This is awesome! My son always loves eating things that come in pockets.. pizza, ravioli, pb&j, etc. I’ll definitely give these a spin in the rotation.

22. Kelly Hutchinson on November 14, 2014 at 12:08 pm

These look super delicious and pretty easy to make. My kids love chicken pot pies, so this would be a hit for sure.

23. Robin (Masshole Mommy) on November 14, 2014 at 11:59 am

That is a pretty awesome snack if you ask me!! I am totally trying these.