Share A Meal – Unilever Project Sunlight Helps To Fight Hunger #ShareAMeal

This post is brought to you by Unilever Project Sunlight.
share a meal child hunger

Did you know that right here in America there are 16 million children struggling with hunger? That’s the population of Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia and Chicago combined!! If you’ve done any traveling you know that’s a lot of people and hunger affects many families right in communities all across this country.

Hunger’s youngest victims are often invisible in the United States, but the reality is this issue is really close to home, and could impact your own neighbor or even your child’s best friend. That’s why Unilever Project Sunlight is rallying people across the country to “Share A Meal” to help fight child hunger in America.

Unilever’s Project Sunlight offers our family an easy resource and shows us how we can easily give back.

give back this fall

WAYS TO SHARE A MEAL

The small act of sharing a meal could have a big impact on a family in need. Below you will find a variety of small actionable ways to Share A Meal and help fight child hunger here in the U.S.

• Share A Meal Potluck – Host neighboring families for a dinner and invite a family in need to join
  • Get Your Community Involved – Partner with a local community organization to host community potluck in your area
  • Local Food Drives – Organize your very own food drive or utilize the
  • Feeding America online Food Bank Locator tool to get in touch with a local food and volunteer at a food drive
  • Host a Virtual Food Drive – Plan a virtual food drive with measurable goals online using the Feeding America Personal Fundraiser tool and promote participation in your community

Find out how you can help and this season as the weather gets colder and we start to get ready for holidays with our loved ones may we also give back. Our family has supported local food drives by donating when we can. It’s a valuable lesson we would like to teach our children that’s why we pack up the car and donate to our local food banks. It’s especially important to give back as the weather gets colder and it’s a great lesson in giving for our children.

How will you give back this fall and help fight hunger?

1. krystal on October 20, 2014 at 2:05 pm

I had never heard of a virtual food drive but it’s a great idea to raise awareness. This campaign is an awesome idea!

2. Danielle @ We Have It All on October 19, 2014 at 1:13 pm

I love hearing about this campaign. No child should go to bed hungry – ever!

3. Janel (A Mom's Take) on October 17, 2014 at 2:06 pm

I like give back my donating food to local food banks in my community. I always give extra during the holidays.

4. Laura Grace Andry on October 17, 2014 at 9:10 am

No child should ever go hungry. This is a fantastic program!

5. Chrysa Duran on October 16, 2014 at 8:17 pm

This is such a great program. We love it have supported it for years. We also buy food for local school age kids to eat on the weekends.

6. Jessica (Savory Experiments) on October 16, 2014 at 3:14 pm

This is such a great cause. Hubby and I have contributed for a few years now.

7. Carly Anderson on October 16, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Share A Meal is a great campaign. It’s so important to give to those who aren’t as fortunate as we are.

8. Chrystal @ YUM eating on October 16, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Unilever is a great company for pushing the program to help child hunger. No child in the world should have to go hungry.

9. Rosey on October 16, 2014 at 11:00 am

We do a big food drive every year at the post office, and we donate to the pantry and domestic violence shelter at Christmas time. I think doing more would be easy, and these posts inspire me to do so. Hurrah to Unilever for being on the go with this one.

10. Christie on October 16, 2014 at 9:36 am

we love helping out extra during the holiday season. It’s surprising how many families are hungry during this time

11. Tracey on October 16, 2014 at 7:46 am

This is such a wonderful campaign. It’s so nice to see Unilever stepping up to make a difference

12. Kayla on October 16, 2014 at 7:37 am

This is so important to talk about, and more importantly, to do something about! Partnering with a local food pantry is a great step, too!

13. Debbie L. on October 16, 2014 at 5:58 am

I am a big believer in paying forward. I always participate in food drives and about once a month I drop off a bag of food at our local pantry.

14. Theresa on October 15, 2014 at 9:36 pm

I love this campaign. It is just mind boggling how many people go hungry in this country every day. I think something like 85% of students at our school qualify for free lunch and that is just heartbreaking to me. It makes me wonder how many of them live off those free lunches and get nothing else to eat the rest of the day 🙁

15. Mickey on October 15, 2014 at 7:58 pm

16 million is just hard to comprehend. 🙁 This sounds like an awesome campaign!

16. Amy Desrosiers on October 15, 2014 at 7:34 pm

I used to hate when I was a teacher and had hungry students.We’d keep extra snacks in the cabinet for them to eat.

17. Jeanine on October 15, 2014 at 6:42 pm

This is so important. So many kids are hungry and it shouldn’t be that way. So important to give back and share a meal sounds awesome!

18. Pam on October 15, 2014 at 3:55 pm

The share a meal potluck idea is great. I know many families in our area invite families in need to join them for holiday meals.

19. Nina Say on October 15, 2014 at 2:56 pm

It is so important to give back. There are so many hungry kids, and a lot of people don’t realize they are hungry.

20. Catherine S on October 15, 2014 at 1:59 pm

No child should ever go hungry. This is a great project that can help a lot of kids. We donate food to a food bank every year through my work.