Childhood Hunger Awareness Unilever Project Sunlight #ShareAMeal

This post is brought to you by Unilever, and we are proud to support this project.
share a meal child hunger

Do you know that children right in your community go to bed hungry each night? Unilever Project Sunlight is hoping to shed light on childhood hunger with a revolutionary new documentary series that shares real stories form real families. You can view the entire Going To Bed Hungry video.

Watch the video today:

To view the documentary and find out what you can do to share a meal this holiday season, go to ProjectSunlight.us. There you can download the Unilever Share A Meal Toolkit to learn more about the power of a shared meal and get involved in one of the following ways:

• Help a Family in Your Neighborhood: Simply sharing a meal with a neighbor either in the form of a simple lunch or dinner party, or even packing an extra lunch for your child to take to school, could go a long way.
  • Partner with Local Organizations: Local community organizations are great resources for sharing a meal in your area – simply tap into their networks to see how you can help.
  • Coordinate with Your Local Food Bank: Whether you wish to volunteer or host your own local food drive, use Feeding America’s online Food Bank Locator tool to get in touch with a food bank in your area.
  • Host a Virtual Food Drive: Feeding America’s Personal Fundraiser tool is a great place to start and to reach out to friends, family, and colleagues for contributions.
  • Donate: Consider swapping a night out with a night in and share those extra savings with children and families in need in the form of a donation to Feeding America.
  • You Buy One, We Give One: Look for the Unilever “You Buy One, We Give One” coupon offer in the Sunday paper on November 16. Redeem at participating stores from November 16 – 30 and Unilever will donate one meal* to Feeding America when you purchase any participating Unilever product.
  • Lend Your Voice: Inspire others by revealing why you’re helping to end child hunger on social media using, “I #ShareAMeal because…”

give back this fallIn the next month we plan on sharing a meal with our neighbors and friends. I know I feel like the mom in the neighborhood who is feeding the kids who come to play at our house but by going beyond just donating by sharing a meal with friends and neighbors that can make a difference. It’s sharing love and spending time together. It’s that season of giving and we hope you will find an easy way to give back to your community. Could you simple share a meal?

How can you give back to your community this season?

1. Shannon Gosney on November 2, 2014 at 9:18 pm

I love the Share A Meal Campaign! These are some great ways to help the cause.

2. Dina on November 1, 2014 at 1:51 pm

What a great campaign. It hurts me to think of kids going hungry. I’m glad there’s companys like this around to help.

3. Lara on October 30, 2014 at 6:40 am

It breaks my heart that this is even an issue in our country. We try and sponsor a child each year for Christmas. Someone did it for me as a child, and it changed my life!

4. Shell on October 29, 2014 at 5:50 pm

I give to our church’s food bank. They are great about distributing the food and hosting dinners for those in need.

5. Pauline Cabrera on October 29, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Child hunger shouldn’t exist, not in America and not anywhere in the world. Share your concern and let’s help promote Project Sunlight.

6. Ann Bacciaglia on October 29, 2014 at 10:56 am

We try to give back to our community as much as we can. It is sad to think there are so many hungry people when we waste so much food. I like to donate food to our local food bank.

7. Christie on October 29, 2014 at 10:21 am

Childhood hunger is such a problem in America! So glad that Unilever is involved

8. Lori Gunn on October 29, 2014 at 8:52 am

Thanks for the information about the upcoming coupon from UniLever in Nov 16ths paper. It’s good to know consumers can get something they need and help sponsor a meal at the same time. No one should be hungry.

9. Melissa @ This Girl's Life Blog on October 29, 2014 at 8:48 am

This is a great campaign. Definitely opens your eyes to how much our own country needs help.

10. Melinda on October 29, 2014 at 5:05 am

we volunteer at the food bank many times over the years. I think it’ time to do something more regular.

11. Janell Poulette on October 28, 2014 at 8:33 pm

I can’t believe how many kids go hungry. It is so sad. Glad there are ways we can help.

12. Dawn on October 28, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Childhood hunger is just about the most heartbreaking thing I can think of. I always donate to food pantries whenever I can.

13. Catherine S on October 28, 2014 at 6:53 pm

This is such a great campaign. No child should ever go hungry. We always help out with a food drive through my work each year.

14. April @ Everyday Fitness and Nutrition on October 28, 2014 at 6:44 pm

It makes me really sad to think that so many children go hungry in a country like the US. We can all donate a little food and help these kids and families.

15. Felicia on October 28, 2014 at 6:05 pm

I am so saddened by the amount of hungry kids in our country. I definitely want to do my part!

16. Krystal's Kitsch on October 28, 2014 at 5:35 pm

I think it is such an important campaign! Way to spread awareness!

17. Tracey on October 28, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Child hunger is such a huge issue these days. Thank you for bringing awareness to this campaign.

18. Liz Mays on October 28, 2014 at 3:18 pm

My parents did this for people who needed it when I was younger. They’d be invited to our Thanksgiving meal. I had good role models to follow.

19. Pam on October 28, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Child hunger is such a pressing issue and very few people talk about it! I think this is a great campaign.

20. Marybeth Hamilton on October 28, 2014 at 2:55 pm

I wrote about this same topic yesterday. I think the fact that we even have hungry children in our rich nation is shameful. At the same time, I’m so happy to hear about programs like this one who are fighting for the cause. Thanks for raising awareness!

21. Kenda on October 28, 2014 at 2:41 pm

This is such a great campaign and so important. No child should ever have to go hungry!

22. Robin (Masshole Mommy) on October 28, 2014 at 2:09 pm

That is such a great campaign. I hate to think about any child going hungry!