Easy Halloween Lunch Idea With Black California Olives

Early California Olives Kids Halloween Lunch  (1)c

Our kids have been back in school for weeks now and I’m having so much fun coming up with fun and exciting lunches for them. One thing I find fun is to create something truly unique, that when my kiddos go to eat it they are excited. They will be more likely to try new flavors and textures too so having fun with lunch is something I like to do.

Olives are one of those foods that are great for the lunch box. Add to pasta for a flavorful lunchbox cold pasta or create a face easily for some added fun! Olives provide texture and flavor and my girls love seeing them in their lunch boxes.

We purchase California Black Ripe Olives and can always count on California olives for flavor! I’ll admit that the extra large are always a favorite finger food for our girls!

Easy Halloween Lunch Idea

As a large family we often buy fruits and vegetables as they come in season. As we head into fall we see a lot more yams and sweet potatoes on our plates. An easy whipped yam stays nicely in a lunchbox and still tastes great by lunch.

Early California Olives Kids Halloween Lunch  (5)Using flat bread you can easily cut a face for a fun sandwich. I like using unique breads for flavor and they turn an ordinary sandwich into something extraordinary.

Early California Olives Kids Halloween Lunch  (4)

I also made a split pea hummus which is something I learned from Chef Gale Gand. 1/2 a bag of frozen organic split peas, 1/4 cup olive oil, 6 mint leaves, salt and pepper all mixed together in a food processor.  I topped the monster face sandwich for a flavorful topping. Add a cut California Ripe Olive for fun eyes!

Early California Olives Kids Halloween Lunch  (6)

Olives also make for great eyeballs for Halloween, lets face it kids love to imagine to play with their food. Nothing says Halloween or gross like yummy eyeballs in their lunch boxes so why not have some fun with it? I added some chopped olives to the grapes for added fun.

Early California Olives Kids Halloween Lunch  (7)

A fun and spooky sweet potato whip with olive face and broccoli on top.  There’s a banana for hair with some candy corn sticking up. Extra olives on the side for little monster fingers just adds to the fun for this Halloween theme lunch idea.

Right now you can enter to win in the California Ripe Olives Back-to-School Sweepstakes. Start by following California Ripe Olives on Facebook and visit the custom tab, and enter once per day for the chance to win an Amazon Kindle Fire HDX. You can enter now through Sep 12th!

How are you creating fun lunch boxes this school year?

I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

1. Rosie on September 26, 2014 at 8:32 am

So many cute ideas – and I’m excited to try split pea hummus!

2. shelly peterson on September 20, 2014 at 8:24 am

such a cute and creative lunch for the kids that I am sure would just love this!

3. Julie Wood on September 19, 2014 at 7:44 am

These Halloween lunch box ideas are amazing and I would love to create some of these healthy meals for my son. He would love so many of these recipes.

4. Joni Mason on September 18, 2014 at 1:25 pm

How cute! I love these lunch ideas, so creative! They look really yummy too, thanks for sharing!

5. betty on September 17, 2014 at 4:07 am

What excellent ideas for a holloween lunch. I seem to remember my kids classmates bringing in a bag of treats for their lunch during holloween week. thanks for the motivation

6. Nicole on September 16, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Very cute lunch idea for Halloween, my kids love when fun is fun and creative. They eat more it seems when the food is presented in a fun way.

7. Carly from The Puzzled Palate on September 3, 2014 at 9:46 pm

These are such fun lunch ideas! I think my daughter would love seeing these in her lunch box!

8. Amanda Her on September 3, 2014 at 9:01 pm

I absolutely love black olives. As kids we used them as out “nails”. We thought we were so cool!

9. Ann BAcciaglia on September 3, 2014 at 7:13 pm

I don’t make school lunches anymore but I love your ideas! What fun and creative ways to use olives to make halloween themed lunches.

10. Mickey on September 3, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Those are such cute ideas! I’d love to try these with my kids.

11. Amanda A on September 3, 2014 at 1:20 pm

love it!!! I need to get a food processor. such a great little lunch idea for toddlers!

12. Shannon Gosney on September 3, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Oh my gosh – the jack-o-lantern sweet potato whip is so cute! Thanks for sharing.

13. Laura Grace Andry on September 3, 2014 at 11:34 am

That is a pretty fantastic lunchbox. I love it. Especially the little Frankenstein.

14. Jeanine @ sixtimemommy.com on September 3, 2014 at 11:08 am

This is fantastic! I love doing this type of thing for school lunches, I need to try this one! So cute!

15. Krystal's Kitsch on September 3, 2014 at 9:54 am

Oh my goodness, is this not the sweetest thing? I love that pumpkin!

16. Mel Outnumbered on September 3, 2014 at 8:28 am

What cute lunch ideas! I bet the kiddos at school will be jealous!

17. Tracey on September 3, 2014 at 8:22 am

This is really adorable and creative! Love the sweet potato pumpkin!

18. Christie on September 3, 2014 at 8:07 am

The sweet potato with the pumpkin face is too cute! My kids would love this lunchbox idea!

19. Anjanette @MommaYoung on September 3, 2014 at 5:29 am

This Halloween lunch is so stink’n cute! My kids would love it, thank you for sharing this clever idea. I love bento boxes and would love very much to get in on it!

20. Lori Gunn on September 2, 2014 at 9:49 pm

What a delightful assortment of fun foods. Olives are yummy and using them to make artful edibles adds to the enjoyment.

21. Stacie @ The Divine Miss Mommy on September 2, 2014 at 9:22 pm

I love this Halloween themed lunch! Black olives are delicious, and they’re very healthy, especially for growing brains. A lot of people don’t know this, but your brain needs fat to function properly.

22. Veronica on September 2, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Really cute ideas! Love it! My kids may not appreciate the effort since they are older, but it would be a nice surprise

23. Catherine S on September 2, 2014 at 8:25 pm

The food looks great and it is so neat. I bet any kid would be thrill to open up the lunch box and find the cute pumpkin face.

24. Carly Anderson on September 2, 2014 at 6:20 pm

These are such cute ideas! I love the sweet potato whip with the olives to look like a pumpkin!

25. Kathy on September 2, 2014 at 5:04 pm

That is adorable! What a fun idea!

26. Lisa on September 2, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Cute lunch idea for Halloween! I have a frankenstein cookie cutter that I use on sandwiches around that time.

27. Camesha on September 2, 2014 at 4:10 pm

That’s so cute. I really like the jack o lantern.

28. Pam on September 2, 2014 at 2:49 pm

I love the spooky sweet potato whip! My son would eat that up, and it’s super cute.

29. Jessica Beard on September 2, 2014 at 1:08 pm

These are so cute! My son loves olives, so I’m going to start using them for faces. I usually make faces using fruit.

30. Susanna @Zealous Mom on September 2, 2014 at 11:12 am

Wow! So creative. I could never do this, but I so admire those of you than can. I also want to make that split-pea hummus. That looks so delicious.

31. Shell on September 2, 2014 at 10:46 am

That is such a cute Halloween lunch idea! My boys like pretty plain things so I haven’t gotten too creative with theirs.

32. Theresa on September 2, 2014 at 10:01 am

How cute are those!? I am going to convince my daughter to pack her lunch at least once before Halloween so I can make this!

33. Chrystal @ YUM eating on September 2, 2014 at 8:57 am

Your bento box is super cute. Love it! I am a olive lover. I always keep my pantry/fridge stocked because they help me so much with snack cravings. Plus they are a great topping for salad, pasta, pizza and burgers.

34. melinda on September 2, 2014 at 8:30 am

such cute ideas. I’m amazed how much kids like black olives

35. Amy Desrosiers on September 2, 2014 at 6:03 am

I love Halloween so much so this lunch is so amazing!! I want my mom to make me one too! Lol

36. Diane Bassette on September 2, 2014 at 4:06 am

what a creative way to make lunch for the kids!

37. Robin (Masshole Mommy) on September 2, 2014 at 2:42 am

Now I feel lame for sending my kids to school with a boring old fluff-a-nutter.

38. Debbie Denny on September 2, 2014 at 2:41 am

These are so cute. Fun lunch for any kid.

39. Danielle @ We Have It All on September 1, 2014 at 8:11 pm

This is a great idea. My older kids are too old for this buy my 5 year old would love it if I made this stuff.

40. Chrysa on September 1, 2014 at 7:46 pm

This looks super cute. What a fun way to “play” with food!

41. Brett on September 1, 2014 at 6:52 pm

omg. this is totally adorable. i love it. olives are fun to play with!

42. Felicia on September 1, 2014 at 6:34 pm

These are absolutely adorable. I need to remember olives more often. Davis absolutely loves olives and you made them so much fun!