With 3 kids and so much more going on, I find myself doing a lot of driving for all sorts of things. My life is a constant one of movement between driving my older kids from school to gymnastics or ballet or some activity to the next while making stops to different stores for things I have going on. Plus we do a lot of travel for sightseeing.
And since we have a family of 5, we have a 7 passenger car. It gives us room and we like since we take road trips throughout the year. But what is a constant reminder is filling up the 20 gallon gas tank.
I do have some tips that I would suggest to save some money at the pump!
- Carpool or combine trips in one big trip. I will do grocery shopping after gymnastics. We also work the driving for the kids after school activates with other activities.
- Of course, one of the best ways to beat prices at the pump is to avoid driving when possible. Skip the hassle of running errands and shop online—it’s easier on your car and wallet (plus saves time)! As part of its quarterly 5% Cashback Bonus Program, Discover cardmembers can sign up to earn 5% Cashback Bonus on online shopping now through December 31st! For each purchase made online, Discover cardmembers can earn 5% Cashback Bonus on up to $1,500 – which amounts to $75.
- Keeping my SUV in top running condition is important. My husband used to work as a mechanic, and once a mechanic always a mechanic. He suggests keeping your car in peak operating condition such as maintaining proper service intervals on vital fluids like engine oil, transmission, coolant, and replacing spark plugs, air filters and more. Keeping up on vehicle maintenance can gain me 10-20% in mpg, which is important living in a city with hills and mountains.
- Use a gas price tracking apps like Gas Buddy to track down the cheapest prices for gas around town and on the road.
- Keeping snacks around is great because it reduces money on stopping for food and reduces gas usage on the stopping and going.
- We shop at major stores that give back gas rewards, which can be redeemed at local participating gas stations.
It is always smart to consider all these methods and more because the more your save the more your rewarded!
I am a compensated brand ambassador for Discover. All opinions are my own.