When I think about all the devices in my home all too often I forget about the smallest of risks to my children. Coin lithium batteries can be found around most homes in everyday items like remote controls, keyless entry devices for your car, flameless candles and children’s books with sound. If ingested, these coin-sized lithium batteries can cause serious chemical burns in as little as two hours. Yet in a survey conducted by Energizer, 62 percent of parents reported being unaware of the risk associated with coin lithium batteries.
In support of National Childhood Injury Prevention Week (September 1-7, 2013), the National Safety Council and Energizer have teamed up to share some important tips every parent should know to help prevent injuries from the ingestion of Coin Lithium batteries to help keep kids safe.
The 4 S’s of Coin Lithium Battery Safety
- STORE devices that use coin lithium batteries out of reach of children
- SECURE the battery compartments of devices
- SELECT battery packaging that meets federal guidelines for child resistance, such as Energizer’s coin lithium battery packaging
- SHARE this information with your friends and family
If it is suspected that a child has swallowed a coin lithium battery, it is important to go to the emergency department immediately.
Energizer led the industry by being the first to voluntarily develop packaging for its 20 millimeter coin lithium batteries that meets the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) strict guidelines for child-resistant packaging.
Background on CPSC Child-Resistant Packaging
The CPSC imposes strict guidelines to determine if a packaging qualifies as effectively child-resistant. The packaging is tested with groups of children ages 42-51 months and also with senior adults ages 50-70. For a package to be child-resistant, a total of 80% of the children tested must not open the package in a full 10 minutes of testing. To make sure that adults are able to use a child-resistant package properly, 90% of adults tested have up to five minutes, and then another minute in a second test, to open and close the package (if applicable) so that it is child-resistant again.
To put the Energizer packing to the test our family was sent a prize pack with products to try out with our family.
Brooklin has a hard time with the Energizer packaging. The Energizer packaging was near impossible for her to get open but it’s easily designed for parents to open when needed with scissors. The other paper package was easy to open and she had the battery out within a few minutes.
For more information on child safety and coin lithium battery safety, please visit nsc.org, www.energizer.com, TheBatteryControlled.com and www.poison.org/battery.