My First Mother’s Day As A Mom of 3

Last year we went to an expensive brunch at a fancy hotel downtown. Then 8 months pregnant I waddled around the Japanese Garden. We had to wake up early and I had to get everyone ready and out of the house.

This year – I was looking forward to sleeping in. It’s hard to believe that in under a month Mia will be 1 year old. Her babydom is just about over and she’ll be needing mommy a little less over the next year as she gains independence. So this year, after a year of sleepless nights and endless breastfeeding I just wanted to sleep in. I wanted to lay next to my husband in our bed and just be there.

Brooklin came running in shortly after 9:30 – her red package being shoved in my face. She’d been waiting since Thursday to give me the gift she made me at school. A reusable coffee cup and inside she had written I (heart) Mommy – in the best way she could. She left after I opened her package and came back just as I started to nod off again – this time with a card. She had drawn several stick figures with circles all over one side of the page and she stood there with the sweestest of voices “Happy Mother’s Day”. I once again got up from my bed to admire her card and give her plenty of hugs and kisses. A few minutes later Kaila appeared in my bedroom door with her card, and together we admired her work.  How proud Kaila was when she handed me a brightly colored birdhouse that she had painted for me at school. I could feel their joy for me – a day for me and they only want to make me happy. Then I realize it’s not just today – but every single day their love for me is right there at the surface.

I read this article yesterday about the expectations we set for holidays like today, where we as mothers feel entitled to a day of being pampered. We come to expect breakfast in bed and fancy gifts and when our over exceeded expectations are squashed we mope around.

Instead of expecting things I’ve learned that enjoying our moments as they happen are what really make me happy. Not the expectations of what others set for me and therefore I require upon myself. I have learned that just laying alone with my husband in our cool sheets is enough to celebrate. I’ve learned that when my child excitedly has something they spent time and effort loving crafting for me I stop and listen. I have learned that there is no great gift or no greater joy than seeing my children happy.

I have learned that my children appreciate me every day – and that one day out of the year doesn’t make much difference.

My first Mother’s Day of a mom to 3 children and I’ll never look at Mother’s Day the same way again.

1. francine on May 30, 2013 at 6:40 am

i am glad you had a good mothers day. I took my baby to the park. (I was going to take both the baby and my 4 year old but he had a tantrum about his shoes so had to stay home with daddy lol)

2. Bekah Kuczenski on May 19, 2013 at 5:58 pm

What a beautiful post and one that I can take a lesson from 🙂 I envisioned Motherly Day as a perfect Day where I could sleep in, then get up and relax with a cup of coffee, etc. That didn’t happen 🙁 But I am so thankful to be a mommy and to be needed 🙂

3. Priscilla Benavides on May 14, 2013 at 2:35 pm

This year was my first Mother’s day being a mother of 4 including one newborn baby who is 5 weeks and as sleepless as I have been I somehow still managed to get out of bed and nice and pretty after many months of being pregnant with no make up in maternity clothing and spending this past month in sweats and pjs so I could take my mother out to lunch to show her how much I appreciate her! But you are right our children appreciate us year round and I do see that and I know my mother also knows that I also appreciate her year round! And even though I wanted to sleep in and watch the Harry Potter Red Carpet Weekend on cable I’m still glad I got out because it was nice to feel pretty again!

4. Jennifer on May 14, 2013 at 7:41 am

so sweet. I’m glad your first Mother’s Day with 3 littles was a good one 🙂

5. Amy Orvin on May 14, 2013 at 2:32 am

Sounds like a very nice Mother’s Day.

6. Heather Kelly on May 13, 2013 at 3:36 am

Yesterday was the same for me. Each child had something to give me. But above all, Matthew had made two things for me at school. When my husband called them downstairs to come get their cards and gift cards to give me, they were all so happy about the whole ordeal. Matthew immediately wanted to know where the gifts that he made for me at school were. Since it was ceramic, and it had to be carried up 7 steep stairs, I carried it upstairs and waited for them. When I opened it, Matthew was so happy and so proud that he made a ceramic tile with his silhouette and a necklace, for me! It was my first Mother’s Day that I realized just how much I mean to both Matthew and Chloe. Hailey is only 10 1/2 months old, and like Mia, way close to be one year old. I know that these years only last so long. Once they hit the teenage years, it all changes.

7. Janet W. on May 13, 2013 at 2:50 am

I love your outlook! I’m glad you had a nice Mother’s Day!