We Will Finish The Race #RunForBoston

Three years ago my life changed, I decided that I was going to find myself. Get back to the core of what I want in my life and I found running. It started one day because I decided to put on my sneakers and do it. The person I am now would laugh at my crappy first running shoes but it got me there. I ran my first 5K and finally accomplished something I had set out to do. I believed in myself and I found happiness in the moments that my feet were moving.

Most days when I’m at home you’ll find MSNBC on at my house so moments after I heard about tragedy in Boston I tweeted my friend Sarah. I knew Sarah was running the Boston Marathon and I immediately tweeted her. At 4 hours into the race I knew she would have been done already but I hadn’t looked at her stream, I thought what if she had hung around at the end to be a good blogger and take photos and such. She quickly tweeted back letting everyone know she was okay, she recounted her experience on her site.

It’s a dream of mine to run a half marathon. I dream of being able to run a marathon. With every step I am one step closer to my goal. I may not have been in Boston but there is a respect that runners feel for one another. I look up to runners like Sarah, I am inspired by their resilience. I am the runner who would have made it to the finish line 4 or 5 hours into the race. There’s something so human about the feeling of your heart beating and your head racing and your feet pounding.

I cry often when running. When I run I feel so much more in touch with myself, my feelings, my emotions. My husband and I joke that I have to go and run and that when I come back everything is again at peace in the world. It’s true. Running makes me happy, I feel balanced. I feel the same way about dancing. There’s just some place your soul goes and you become free. Free from pain, and hurt, the past, the guilt, I’m free from it all. I confront it and I feel it and I put my energy into letting it go. My favorite moments are when my entire body rushes and I get goosebumps and I push further. I feel my best in those moments – I know I am free.

Today I cried – I breathed in deep and I cried. I had just passed 2.7 miles and I could feel all the tension in my body go away. By 3 and a half miles I once again was free from my tears. I don’t know how it feels to have run in the Boston Marathon but one day I hope to be a part of something that big. Every step I run I’m working at it. I will finish the race. I will keep going.

“We may be momentarily knocked off our feet. But we’ll pick ourselves up. We’ll keep going. We will finish the race.”

“This time next year, on the third Monday in April, the world will return to this great American city to run harder than ever and cheer even louder for the 118th Boston Marathon,”

– Barack Obama 4/18/2013

1. LaVonne on April 26, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I am not a runner. Never have been. But now that I am getting into better shape I have been running. Starting slow but one day my goal will be a 5K. 🙂

I am heading to that link of your friend’s experience at the Boston Marathon. What a scary thing. So happy that she is okay!

2. Tiff @ Babes and Kids on April 21, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Awww, running is emotional, I hear you there. Love that picture of you, you mean business! You totally could run a half or even a full. I know what type of person you are and you are determined and can make anything happen. I find myself frequenting Sarah’s blog too, she’s a pretty amazing and inspirational runner. FAST too. 🙂

3. Jeffrey on April 21, 2013 at 3:30 am

I know that running not only changed my life but the lives of those around me. I’ve completed handful of long distance races including the Boston Marathon in 2011, it was truly a life changing experience. My wife and I are running a marathon together 2 weeks from today, it will be her first (and she says only). Both my boys, ages 6 and 9, have run numerous 5K’s and my oldest even ran a 5 miler a few weeks ago. We enjoy it as a family and there is more pleasure for me in that than completing any race on my own!

4. Sandy VanHoey on April 19, 2013 at 11:03 am

What a great story and I sure believe in you. I have watched daily to see these terrorist captured and discovered one being killed as of right now and the other still on the run. Bless your heart….keep going girl…you will be in that race one day in the near future and I’ll be here cheering you on. Keep up the good work and do what your heart is wanting you to do. You’re a strong lady and it shows!

5. Tammy S on April 19, 2013 at 7:51 am

This is a great post. It is very moving. I am glad your friend is fine. My heart breaks for all the people effected by this tragedy. We will not be stopped and we will finish the race!

6. Janet W. on April 19, 2013 at 3:19 am

I am so glad to hear that your friend was ok. Such a scary event that took place and has affected the entire nation.

7. Ari on April 18, 2013 at 9:30 pm

I’m glad your friend is okay! I completely agree with your sentiment about looking up to runners! I look up to anyone that can continue to show such resilience and strength and dedication to what they love. All of the runners at Boston are probably the kind of people who have a goal and work with commitment and focus on accomplishing that goal! It’s such a marvelous human spirit that they have, and I would too love and be honored to be considered part of a group of people like that. I really think whoever is to blame for this awful tragedy underestimated the power of humans to spring back. I wish you the best for your own goal. Thanks for this inspirational post! Like the President said, we will all finish the race.

8. Amanda on April 18, 2013 at 1:52 pm

This is how I felt when I heard what happened. Why would anyone want to hurt runners? People who are or have trying to be/stay healthy? Everyone should look up to these people who obviously care.

9. Charlene Kuser on April 18, 2013 at 12:03 pm

This is a wonderful and powerful article.Thanks