web analytics

Popcorn

We decided to settle in for family movie night last night, I had popped popcorn and we had just started watching Brave. I looked over and Brooklin on the opposite end of the couch as she was eating popcorn when I saw some seeds fall out of her nose.

I jumped up and started trying to see if she had any more in there and sure enough she did. I tried having her blow it, we got a flashlight and the shop vac. My husband actually attempted to vacuum it out of her nostril. It wouldn’t budge so I took her to Urgent Care. They said they weren’t equipped to help us so I called her doctor she wanted her into the ER right away. So we went to the ER and it was so busy and so hectic that I thought our popcorn hostage situation was the least of their worries so we went home.  An hour later I felt her nose and I could feel the kernel near her eye so we rushed back to the ER.

She was seen almost right away in the children’s area and the doctor said we weren’t leaving until he got it out. The nurse got her all settled in with stickers and the remote.

The doctor tried the obvious nose blowing and then we tried holding her down to try and grab it but there was no way it was coming out with her awake.

I’ve never experienced such fear as the sedative took place. I was taken aback  as she started having trouble breathing. Suction and tubes as she struggled with breathing. Wires everywhere. Suction worked, breathing fine with some help! Popcorn out!

I sat there and watched my child helpless. I’ve never seen her so vulnerable, with no personality she wasn’t there. I wiped the bloody droll coming from her mouth as she started to wake up.  She looked at me, touched my nose and said “Mommy, you have such big brown eyes”. Then she was back out.  Another hour passed and she finally started waking up, her doctor came in and gave her a teddy bear and talked to her about never putting anything in her nose or her ears. I am very thankful for the nurses who never left our side, they eased my fears and helped my child. I am grateful for their kindness.

We left the emergency room in the early morning hours, daddy had waited up for us to come home. I think moments like this that change you, that make you laugh more and hold on a little tighter.

All for a rather large piece of popcorn.

6 Comments

  1. shelly peterson on January 1, 2013 at 11:34 pm

    Wow how scarey for the both of you. so glad everything turned out to be ok in the end. I have never had any thing like this happen to me thankfully. the things kids do though 🙂



  2. Christine Wooldridge on December 4, 2012 at 11:53 am

    awww glad shes ok!



  3. Rhonda on November 27, 2012 at 2:43 pm

    Wow, that had to be a frightening experience. I don’t think I would have left the hospital initially. I’ve never heard of a child putting popcorn up their nose. Glad to hear she’s okay. I’ve just started giving my 5 year old grandson popcorn. I will be having a talk with him the next time we have movie night and popcorn.



  4. Victoria @obSEUSSed on November 8, 2012 at 9:26 pm

    So glad they got it out. I’ve heard of not giving popcorn to young kids because of the choking hazard but never thought about the risk of them putting it up their nose. A good warning for all of us. I’m glad she is okay.



  5. Amanda on November 8, 2012 at 4:58 pm

    well I hope that taught her a lesson.. no more popcorn up the nose…

    oh Brooklin!!!!

    …….I think you know where your grey hair came from lol



  6. ShaRhonda on November 8, 2012 at 3:45 pm

    That is just so scary. I have been thinking about her. So glad to hear you had such great care. Whew. She is going to remember this for the rest of her life, and always tell her friends her youngest life lesson.