Welcome To The World Mia – Some of Our Birth Photos

For 9 months we’ve watched my belly grow so that one day we’d finally get to meet the person who was growing inside me. On Wednesday June 6th I was supposed to be induced. My first induction I was so anxious I barely slept. At 6 am the hospital called and said they had a few emergencies and they were going to hold me off until 9 which they would call me back. At 9 they never called so I went back to sleep waiting for their call.  10 rolled around and I finally called so they had me come down for monitoring. After checking on the baby they checked me in as an out patient and sent my husband and I off to lunch while they dealt with some empty rooms. My doctor performed 9 csections that morning. 9!

At 2:30 my husband and I finally checked in to our room. When I walked in I looked around and burst into tears. We sat by the window and talked for a few minutes soaking it all in. After Del went to the car to get our things we finally met my labor nurse, Margie. A sweet older woman with a perm who started right away with getting me all checked in and IV ready.

At 4 PM I started oxytocin and my husband and I walked the halls of labor and delivery which were now almost empty. After monitoring my blood sugars I sent my husband off for dinner so I could smell his food teasing him about how hungry I was. Literally all I could think about was food in between my waves of panic. I expected these really hard contractions that were unbearable like everyone warned me of but they never came. At 7 PM I was officially in labor and my water had broken. I was 5 cms. Del helped me to and from the bathroom while helping me clean up from the extra fluid that kept making its way out.

After pacing around anxiously the pain gradually got worse and around 9PM I got an epidural. Shortly after getting the epidural my anxiety kicked in high gear. My doctor had been in surgery all day and had gone home so I met a very lovely midwife who had taken a few years off to have children of her own. After nicely asking if she could help deliver my baby my husband and I agreed although her calm ways and overly trying to calm my anxiety got on my nerves she explained that I was transitioning.

My nurse had resided in the fact that I probably wasn’t going to deliver before she had to leave home but she stuck with me. While the midwife had annoyed me my nurse however calmed my anxiety. My husband joking around talking with me to keep my mind off all of it. I looked up at the clock and it was nearing 11PM.  While my nurse was out at the nurses station talking with the next nurse who was going to take over I told my husband something was wrong. The baby was coming!

I told him to hurry and get my nurse who quickly came running in. I asked her to check me so she did. After quickly checking me and said, yep there she is Kristin let me find the midwife and doctors. I told her to hurry and not leave me. My husband snapping pictures joking around that I must see my face.

Me texting my sisters and best friend telling them simply “It’s time!”. Not sure why but I felt like holding onto the bed for dear life as if somehow it would help her not come or as if I were going to go somewhere.

My husband snapping a picture of the clock at this moment so we could remember how fast it all happened. I could feel Mia making her way lower and lower with every contraction.

I could feel her making her way down and while it hurt it was bearable and I could focus on her. I had never felt this sensation, my husband couldn’t believe the smile on my face. At 11:44 PM after just 3 contractions and a handful of pushes she had been born.

It’s hard to believe that my husband was right at my side in the most supportive loving way and still managed to capture such breathtaking images. Just seeing this picture brings tears to my eyes. That exact moment you see your child for the first time.

The nurse grabbed the camera and began to snap pictures. I could not believe my eyes as I looked at them.

Hospital procedure is that she lay on my skin for the first hour of her life but after that hour I handed her to her father for the first time.

Around hour 2 she was finally weighed and made her way to the warmer.

She then made her way back to me before we moved out of our birth suite. The very first time she nursed was truly beautiful in every way.

We didn’t get much sleep that night and in the morning light spent more moments with our daughter.

Nurses came in and out and in and out.

We got her dressed for the first time before visitors arrived.

I enjoyed a feast and loved every moment of it!

Around 2PM on June 7th we were released to go home.

My husband checked the car seat to make sure it fit her perfectly.

And into the car we went.

24 hours after leaving the girls we came back and reunited them all. I have to say my favorite moments over the past few days has been watching them all together. All three of our daughters.

Mia was born June 6th, 2012 at 11:44PM weighing 8 lbs 1 ounce and 19 inches long.

1. christine jessamine on June 14, 2012 at 8:27 pm

you had a nice delivery. love the pictures you took, look at all that hair! so cute!

2. Lisa Davis on June 14, 2012 at 2:09 am

Congratulations!! sweet baby, lovely name, beautiful family!

3. Diana Camden on June 12, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Congrats, very nice photos! Thank you for sharing those precious moments.

Diana C

4. Hillary on June 12, 2012 at 6:42 am

Congratulations! Great job. She is just beautiful. I love reading birth stories <3

5. Barbara on June 11, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Had to chuckle– my daughter’s name is Mia Genevieve and she is 16. Her great grandmother ‘s name was Genevieve. My husband’s name is Gene. Truly an odd coincidence.

6. Betty Baez on June 11, 2012 at 6:02 pm

aaaw i love the picture your husband snapped of you holding on for dear life haha! Congrats! she’s beautiful!

7. Rebecca Orr on June 11, 2012 at 1:33 pm

You did such a wonderful job Kristin! Mia is adorable!

8. Amber R on June 11, 2012 at 11:16 am

I love your first moment together picture with baby Mia. It is so heart warming and so true. I know that exact feeling and it so wonderful!

9. Heather on June 11, 2012 at 8:34 am

Congratulations! The pictures are gorgeous and so are your girls. Took me back to each of my births and I’m feeling a bit weepy now. 🙂

10. Sarah VM on June 11, 2012 at 6:27 am

Congratulations again! Your husband and the nurse managed to get some great pictures. You are very lucky.

11. Denise L on June 11, 2012 at 6:25 am

Congratulations! Beautiful 🙂 I forgot how little they look that first time in the car. You did great mama!

12. Eileen on June 11, 2012 at 2:13 am

Oh my gosh, I have been awaiting your newest family story…you had me at the edge of my seat! WOW. WOW!!! It’s just so touching to read about little Mia meeting her mommy and daddy and then her soul sisters! What a precious new life and so honored you shared with all of your friends here. God Bless your family Kristin!

13. Sandy VanHoey on June 10, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Congratulations Kristin. I loved your story and pictures. That dinner must have been more than welcome. Y’all and the nurse captured some awesome pictures. Your expression seeing her the first time is priceless. A mommas love! I am so glad you are home now and your family looks perfect…3 gorgeous little girls!

14. Amanda on June 10, 2012 at 8:18 pm

love it!!!! congrats and welcome Mia

15. shelly peterson on June 10, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Congratulations Kristin, what a precious angel she is! Glad to hear everything went well. Thank you for sharing the wonderful pictures of your special moments and family! 🙂

16. ShaRhonda on June 10, 2012 at 5:53 pm

What a wonderful documentation of such a blessed event! Congratulations on the addition to your beautiful family! Mia is gorgeous! You can already tell that the sisterhood bond is there. Hugs & love my friend!

17. Kathleen's on June 10, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Congratulations! What a nice story, and a gorgeous baby. Hope you’re all doing well, having settled in at home.

18. Cassie on June 10, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Congrats! What a beautiful addition to a wonderful family! I love seeing all the pictures, it’s so wonderful. I also love that the hospital has a procedure about the newborn staying on the mom for the first hour, that sounds ideal.

• Kristin on June 10, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Thank you. 🙂

They also have a procedure that the cord isn’t cut for the first few minutes until it stops pulsing. My experience there was by far the best, my birth was perfect for what us.

19. courtney b on June 10, 2012 at 2:58 pm

she is adorable! and not all swollen like most babies! all chubs!:) so cute and so happy for you! congrats!

20. Courtney on June 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Kristin, she is absolutely precious! Congratulations to you and your family!! 🙂

21. Tammi @ My Organized Chaos on June 10, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Just beautiful!!!!
    🙂

22. Jackie on June 10, 2012 at 12:23 pm

These pictures made me cry. It’s so beautiful! Even though I was asleep when you texted me it means the world to me that I was one of the few who got the message when it was time!!! I loved waking up and seeing the picture of Mia. You have a beautiful family and 3 very beautiful daughters!!! Congrats!!!

23. Mommy Katie on June 10, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Amazing!! I am here crying, now anticipating little Wyatt to make his appearance even more!! Beautiful pics and beautiful family!!!!!!!!

• Kristin on June 10, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I too cried while writing this and while looking through pictures.

I can hardly wait to meet your little man Katie.

24. Jamie Gillespie on June 10, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Congrats Kristen!!! So very happy for you and your beautiful family:)