Body After Baby – Losing The Baby Weight

For months now I’ve been staring at my running shoes. They’ve been taunting me, I can almost hear them beating the pavement as the tread wears. This pregnancy was not easy for me, first I was hit with round ligament pain which made running and even walking any long distance impossible. My dreams of running and staying very active during pregnancy totally smashed. I put my running shoes away in my closet wishing I could put them on and hit the pavement.

I like running. The music it moves me. The beating of my legs. The rush I get and how good I feel. I never thought of myself as a runner but I found myself craving it. Needing it.

I got gestational diabetes this pregnancy which was probably the best thing to happen to me. I gained a total of 20 pounds and kept myself on a strict diet. I was never on any medication or insulin, thank goodness but got a real dose of reality. I don’t want diabetes, ever. It’s really hard on your body, let alone constantly worrying about everything that you eat. A learned some great lessons in nutrition and I can take those lessons with me to create a healthier and happier me.

I’ll admit since having the baby I have enjoyed cake, pie, ice cream, and just about every other sweet thing I could not have for the past 9 months. I’m ready to go back to my strict diet and get back in a regular exercise routine. It’s going to break my heart that I can’t run 4 miles. I don’t even know if I’ll be able to run a full mile but I’m going to put on my running shoes and put one foot in front of the other. I’m going to beat the pavement with every beat of the music. I’m going to let it rush over me and find myself again.

I’m willing to put the work in to get back to being healthy. Even healthier than I was before pregnancy. I can do this. I will do this.Our family took a long hike today, it felt good to walk and not be in pain. I kept telling my husband how shocked I was and how happy I was that I could walk again, normally. It felt so good to get my legs moving. I can do this! I will do this!

I have 12 pounds to go until my pre-pregnancy weight. I’d like to lose 30 pounds total.One day I’ll tell you all exactly how much I weigh, for now here’s my picture.

2 weeks post-partum

1. Stephanie on June 29, 2012 at 11:24 pm

2 weeks postpartum! Wow! You look outstanding.

Did I read something on twitter about you running in a 5K already? You inspire.

2. shelly peterson on June 27, 2012 at 11:56 pm

You look great Kristen! Glad you were able to take a while and enjoy some of the foods you couldn’t have while pregnant. You seem to know how to eat right and cook healthy so I’m sure you will have no problem loosing the weight you want and getting fit

3. Kristin on June 21, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Thanks everyone, my most important goal is to just get fit again. Running made me happy for so long and I want that again.

4. Auntie Mea on June 21, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Your stomach is flatter than mine and I’ve never had kids! 🙂

5. Jessica on June 21, 2012 at 6:57 am

You look good and kuddos to you! You are much more brave than me. I avoided taking postpartum pics till I lost all the baby weight. Stay motivated 🙂

6. courtney b on June 21, 2012 at 5:51 am

lookin good !:) I’ve been trying to win your giveaways for like 3 years now i’m determined to win one BTW! I love reading your blog and i feel like i know you as a friend. I remember when I was 2 weeks into just having my baby and EVERYONE was asking me when i was due… so annoying… lol anyways you’ll be back to your gorgeous self in no time!!!

7. Eileen on June 21, 2012 at 2:37 am

Kristin, I miss that pavement too. For me, I went back to running after having 3, then 4. After that work took me away and my free time was spent with so many kid events and chores. Then, I got really sick and some days can barely walk.That was 11 years ago.

I know that sound…the calling of that beat…the music of the movement. It is SO good for the mind and soul. Ease back in so you don’t injure, as your muscles and ligaments need a slow stretch. You can do this kiddo:) !!

I do miss it so but love to hear about moms, women, who take their lives back and listen to that call. Taking care of themselves and becoming strong again. THAT is the sound of good health. You are so close already but every step you take is nearing that finish line. GO GIRL!

8. Sandy VanHoey on June 21, 2012 at 2:05 am

WOW! Good for you! I think you already look terrific, 3 kids later, just having a baby. I KNOW you can do it and you seem so determined in everything you do. I have to say, every day I visit your blog and I really don’t know how you do it. You’re a mom, a wife, you are a wonderful blogger, always busy adding new things, etc. You seem so awesome with your kids and always doing special things with them. Talk about a multi-tasker. You amaze me…seriously! You plan and give parties for the kids, always doing special things…you are an amazing person. Good luck in your venture in running Kristin. You’re quite an inspiration!

9. Tasha W on June 21, 2012 at 2:00 am

You look wonderful after having a baby Kristin:) Best of luck in your weight loss journey! We know you can do it! 🙂 xo