Baby’s 1st Year – One Week Old

It’s hard to believe that one week ago we were coming home from the hospital with our new baby. Week by week I’ve slowly watched each of my children grow and Mia is not different. This week alone I’ve noticed a few changes in her.

My One Week Old Baby:

• Her skin has started showing its actual complexion and not the red that it was when she was born.
  • She started nursing regularly and being awake for more periods of time.
  • Her diapers have been steady, those first few days I wondered if she’d ever go by herself. Sure enough one week in and everything is perfect in that area.
  • Speaking of poop – breastfed babies projectile their poop. I was laying in bed early in the morning and was changing Mia’s diaper. My husband was laying facing us and woke up just as he saw a whole diaper load fly through the air and land right on me. Mark this one down in the baby book!
  • From that lesson I learned that you must have diapers and wipes ready to go. Remove the old diaper and quickly slide in the new. I can hardly believe I forgot all of this.
  • Our other kiddos – have adjusted really well. They fight over who gets to hold her. They wash their hands often. My 3 year old started carrying her baby everywhere with her, she’s also asking to use my nipple cream and breastfeed her baby. It’s bittersweet since it feels like I was just breastfeeding her.

Her first week had been rather exciting and we’re all adjusting well to having her around. She literally is just another wonderful addition to our family.

1 week Postpartum:

• How I’m doing emotionally – weepy but feeling great about our future as a family.
  • Physically – Turns out my epidural hit a major nerve, and has caused me a lot of pain in my back. I’m going back to see a specialist next week and the hope is that this damage is not permanent. So far the pain is just my lower back and legs, my legs often get weak and I am not carrying the baby around much because of the fear that I may drop her. My husband carries her up the stairs, etc. I regret getting the epidural because of this residual pain has been so horrible.
  • Everything else – doing well with breastfeeding and pumping breast milk because I am so full.
  • My husband – the most supportive amazing man. Without him this would all be a lot harder. He’s been there for me emotionally and in every other way. It’s one of the most important things I think a husband can do for his wife after having a baby, just being there and being understanding. We are closer than ever and love just spending time with our newborn.
  • Sleeping – I’m happy to say we’re all resting well every night. My husband takes her most of the night but passes her off for feedings. I can’t complain because I have not missed any sleep.

Mia’s First Week:

1. courtney b on June 23, 2012 at 8:58 am

my epidural did the same thing.. congrats again.. she’s such a doll πŸ™‚

2. Courtney on June 20, 2012 at 4:14 pm

She is so precious!! So happy for you and your family πŸ™‚

3. Alison on June 19, 2012 at 5:47 am

Love all of the photos! The time flies soon we’ll be seeing a 1 year update. πŸ™‚

4. Danielle @ We Have It All on June 19, 2012 at 5:12 am

Awww I LOVE these photos!! She’s so so sweet! I remember with all my kids, I was weepy for a few weeks. And I LOL’d at the poop – sorry πŸ™‚

5. Jenn on June 18, 2012 at 9:53 am

So glad breastfeeding is going well for you. That’s one of the hardest things for me! Sweet T and I stuck it out for a year and I’m hoping it’s easier with baby #2.

6. Tamara on June 18, 2012 at 12:18 am

It sounds like you are both doing really well! I hope your back issues resolve quickly. I’m loving seeing all of your Mia pics on Facebook. She is so well dressed! It totally makes me miss having a baby girl. <3

7. Eileen on June 16, 2012 at 12:25 am

The girls look SO proud to call Mia, SISTER! I think watching those times of “true love” are the hugest heartfilled moments we as parents can witness…that protective and proud time older sibs get to experience. I hope you feel better soon, Kristin. That sounds annoying at least and scary too!

The poop story is hilarious. My daughter did that shootacrosstheroom trick when my friends from back home came up to visit when she was born. She got my friend with WHITE pants on! We all bust a gut but she had a GREAT excuse to go shopping afterwards to find some new ones. Yep, get those diapers n wipes ready ahead of time!

• Kristin on June 17, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Ohmygosh! HA! Your poor friend. I’m learning as I go. πŸ™‚

8. Naomi on June 15, 2012 at 12:35 pm

It looks like Mia is fitting right in!

9. Betty Baez on June 15, 2012 at 10:55 am

gorgeous pictures! I hope it didnt damage your nerve, i had three c-sections and my back has never been the same

10. Terri S. on June 15, 2012 at 7:29 am

Mia is beautiful! Her 2 big sisters look so filled with love for their baby sister. Love the tender photo of her Daddy looking at her. Thanks so much for sharing these precious moments!

11. Wendy on June 15, 2012 at 6:08 am

How sweet! Your daughters look just like you too. Awesome pics, and glad to hear y’all are settling in well with life with new baby.

Side note- I believe that should say “physically”, not “psychically”, right? πŸ™‚

• Kristin on June 17, 2012 at 11:39 pm

OOPs πŸ˜‰

12. Sandy VanHoey on June 15, 2012 at 1:07 am

Gosh, she is just so perfect! I had to start laughing reading about daddy’s surpprise with the poopy diaper. That’s so funny! I’m so sorry you’re in the pain from the epidural and pray things will all turn out ok. I ended up with major headaches after mine years back and they almost had to put me back in the hospital. Turned out, they told me to drink tons of water and it worked and after suffering for nearly a week, headaches were gone. I felt like you, sorry I had it. Hope all turns out well and thanks for sharing pics of your beautiful family. I really enjoy seeing them@

• Kristin on June 17, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I’m hoping the nerve damage is not permanent and with some help it will slowly get better. Drinking lots of water is always good for the body. πŸ™‚

13. shelly peterson on June 15, 2012 at 12:11 am

Wow, can’t believe a week has already gone by. Sounds like things are going great beside the epidural problem, sorry to hear that and hope things go back to normal. Love the pics, all I can say is ADORABLE, you have such a beautiful family πŸ™‚

14. Amanda on June 14, 2012 at 9:22 pm

happy one week Mia!

15. christine jessamine on June 14, 2012 at 8:21 pm

she is so cute!!! congratulations, makes me want to have another girl!!! how fun!!!