Pregnancy and Pica – My Cravings

During my last pregnancy I developed pica, the craving for non food items. My pica wasn’t as bad as eating ashes from an ash tray. I did find myself craving ice as I neared 35 weeks pregnant. It got so bad I was eating ice all day long. Now that I’m in my next pregnancy sure enough 36 weeks rolls around and I see a commercial of an ice cold soda on tv. It was not the soda I craved, it was the ice.

I told my husband at midnight that I need ice. Not that I wanted, that I needed! Not just any ice, I like the thin stuff. I could easily go to McDonald’s and order myself just a cup of ice. A large cup and over the next hour eat the whole thing.ร‚ย  I like a certain kind of ice as I’ve come to realize, I’ll take what I can get but I like a certain kind. I fear I may ruin the teeth that I’ve spent so much money on too.

Pica during pregnancy can be dangerous but I am not consuming harmful substances, just water. My doctor is aware and while some say there is a link been iron deficiency and pica I am taking the proper vitamins that my body needs. I do suggest though that if you crave ice or anything non-food related during pregnancy that you tell your doctor right away.

I’m not sure if my pica will come back with every pregnancy but so far it has, and it also goes away after the baby is born. Have you had pica during pregnancy?

Did you have pica during pregnancy? Did you crave anything odd or unusual?

1. shelly peterson on May 11, 2012 at 4:39 am

Love the pic. Baby sure is growing from the last picture you posted, just about 30 days left to go ๐Ÿ™‚ I have heard of this on tv about woman eating bar soap an what not during pregnancy. Good thing for you its just ice, even though it isnt good on your teeth. I never really craved anything with my four pregnancy’s

2. Amanda on May 10, 2012 at 10:25 pm

LOL Shannon, I was thinking how awesome sonic ice would be!

I didn’t have any cravings.

• Kristin on May 11, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I may just have to hit up Sonic. Sonic ice is the perfect ice isn’t it?

3. Shannon R on May 10, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I’m with you on the craving of the ice. The ice I need is from Sonic.

4. Courtney on May 10, 2012 at 11:43 am

I haven’t craved anything out of them norm. I did crave meat a lot in the beginning so they put me on a prenatal with more iron. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Camey on May 10, 2012 at 11:28 am

This. I had the same issue. I used to buy bags of ice and store them in the freezer. Also would go to restaurants and order just cups of ice.

• Kristin on May 10, 2012 at 11:34 am

I do too, the only time I’ll use a drive thru is to order ice. Of course I feel odd so I’ll order something else to go along with it because asking for a large cup of ice would just be odd. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Camey on May 10, 2012 at 11:58 am

Exactly. I would always order something else too. I felt so weird just ordering ice I remember still craving ice a few weeks after I had my daughter, then all of a sudden I didn’t want it anymore.

• Kristin on May 10, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Yep, me too. Exactly!

6. Heather Kelly on May 10, 2012 at 11:27 am

With my son, I dreamed of eating Raw hamberger meat, raw steaks, etc. NASTY! I am not a big meat eater, so craving it was gross for me. So when I got pregnant with our daughter, I was almost sure that she was a girl because I didn’t have dreams and cravings for raw meat. Same with this pregnancy, no raw meat cravings. Must have been related to being pregnant with a boy?

• Kristin on May 10, 2012 at 11:35 am

I hear a lot of moms say they crave meat when they’ve been preggie with a boy. I wonder what the link is there….

7. Alex on May 10, 2012 at 11:24 am

With both my kids, it was ice. I worked at Taco Bell w/ Kman and they had the BEST ICE EVER!! I’m not kidding you, I would add a tiny bit of lemonade to an extra large cup of ice and I’d be set. When I was preggers with Miss A, we always had to have ice in the house. Typically, I’d have to take a meat cleaver to a bag of ice to make the chunks small enough, but it was a must have.

My doctor told me as long as I was taking my pre-vitamins, and was coming to my appointments, that I shouldn’t worry about iron deficiency, and that it was not that common of a link. They say it’s more common that you are sexually frustrated than having an iron deficiency. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Kristin on May 10, 2012 at 11:37 am

That’s probably true Alex. ๐Ÿ˜€

I just love that I’m not the only one who wants a certain kind of ice. It’s so nice knowing I’m not alone in this.

8. Camey on May 10, 2012 at 11:23 am