All of this gloomy weather really has it’s effects and I’ve been happily looking forward to the warm days of summer. A few weeks ago I had a craving for cherries, and had wanted to make a cherry pie. With cherries not yet in season I had to improvise and ended up finding some really great frozen cherries.
|Sweet Cherry Pie Recipe|| || |
- 4 cups fresh or frozen tart organic cherries
- 1 to 1½ cups organic cane sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅛ tablespoon almond extract (optional)
- Your favorite pie crust or pie dough recipe for 2 crust pie. (I use organic flour and butter, vbasic recipe)
- 1½ tablespoons organic butter, to dot
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar, to sprinkle
- Place cherries in medium saucepan and place over heat. Cover. After the cherries lose considerable juice, which may take a few minutes, remove from heat. In a small bowl, mix the sugar and cornstarch together. Pour this mixture into the hot cherries and mix well. Add the almond extract, if desired, and mix. Return the mixture to the stove and cook over low heat until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and let cool. If the filling is too thick, add a little water, too thin, add a little more cornstarch.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Use your favorite pie dough recipe. Prepare your crust. Divide in half. Roll out each piece large enough to fit into an 8 to 9-inch pan. Pour cooled cherry mixture into the crust. Dot with butter. Moisten edge of bottom crust. Place top crust on and flute the edge of the pie. Make a slit in the middle of the crust for steam to escape. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for about 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a rack to cool.