How To Make Your Own Homemade Refried Beans in Crockpot

When I first started to cook it didn’t matter what I was eating but as I’ve gotten more comfortable in the kitchen I want to make everything myself. From pizza sauce to refried beans.

I also started canning last year and these refried beans can be easily canned and stored for later use. I’m going to show off some great Mexican food recipes and what better way to start off then with beans!

Easy Crockpot Refried Beans
Ingredients
  • 2 pounds pinto beans
  • 2 jalapenos
  • 1 onion
Instructions
  1. Set Crockpot to medium heat and add pinto beans.
  2. Add chopped jalapenos, make sure to remove seeds.
  3. Add chopped onion
  4. Fill Crockpot with water until water abut covers beans.
  5. Cook on medium heat for 6-8 hours in a Crockpot.
  6. After soft, use a hand mixer and mash beans until they are smooth.

1. Kasey on July 6, 2011 at 7:26 am

I love this recipe, I have made something similar before but have never used the jalapeno, which duh would be an excellent addition. I also never thought to use the hand mixer and would try to just mash them… sigh…

2. Wendy T on July 3, 2011 at 12:20 pm

That is so simple and has me smacking me upside the head. We use a lot of refried beans.

It is so much better to use this recipe and make them! No preservatives, etc. Thank you for sharing this.

3. Louise on July 2, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Well of course it was stumbled it’s such a great recipe Kristin!

4. Kristin on July 1, 2011 at 11:49 pm

I am so sorry!! I went ahead and added in the directions, I left out the water.

5. Summer Oleksy on July 1, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I too wonder about the liquid. Also do you water bath or pressure can. I think I need to invest in a pressure canner so I can do more. Making everything at home is easy ESPECIALLY if you can make a large patch and save some for later. I prefer canning to freezing as my freezer space is for the local meat I purchase. Can’t wait for more recipes!

6. Mike on July 1, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Are these dry beans, and if so, how much and what kind of liquid do you use? Are these canned beans? No mention in the recipe.