When Do You Know Your Toddler Is Ready For A Potty?

As I right this my hands are dry from the almost constant washing. Inside I’m wondering where my cute little toddler went. Just when we were getting behavior under control here comes the next battle.

brooklin toddler

It started a few days ago, all of a sudden poop in her diaper was just “ewwww” “mommy look at this, ewwww” And out it came, all over her bed, her hands, her everything.

Today she’s had three baths, she decided that mashed potatoes feel funny in her feet and at dinner decided to smear her legs and toes in them. Since deciding that poop was ewww she got two more baths.

This is my clear sign….she is ready for a potty.  Kaila never did this but I’m thinking it’s my sign. I feel like I didn’t just do this but I did. Our oldest was also potty trained at two and I think since Brooklin follows in her sisters path that this is where we are headed.

Do you think your toddler’s ready for the potty? How do you know?

1. Sara on April 2, 2011 at 8:33 am

This is such a tough one. My almost 3 year old is finally showing signs of being ready to potty train (complains about diapers being itchy, doesn’t want to be changed, etc) but now it is inconvenient timing for us so I think we will postpone. Why is potty training such a huge struggle for all!! I think we should out source it!

2. Tiff on March 30, 2011 at 12:21 pm

If she’s uncomfortable being messy and says “Ewww,” I think that’s a good sign. I wish my 3 year old would get the hint, but his brother didn’t train until 3 1/2 and he was potty trained/ night time trained in a week when he finally did it. Good luck!

3. Lena on March 30, 2011 at 6:10 am

I think she’s ready for the potty! My oldest decided she was ready overnight. She is now almost 3 and is doing pretty good. Good luck 😀

4. fancygrlnancy on March 28, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Mine has not put his hand in and pulled out any surprises or smeared it yet! We are potty trainingn ow and he does well with the pee, but so far poop only in diapers/underwear.

5. momznite on March 28, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Only she really knows. Parents can be fooled.
    momznite_at_yahoo_daught_com

6. Amber on March 28, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I’ve got boys rather than girls, but I’m finding the same thing with my youngest compared to my oldest. Teddy never stuck his hand inside his diaper, never smeared poop anywhere. Granted, he was almost 4 by the time he was potty trained (he really didn’t want to do it).

But with Pete, we regularly see him coming up to us with a brown hand and a grin while saying, “Look, Mommy, poo-poo!” Then it’s time for the diaper change, the wipes on his hands (so he doesn’t smear it on anything else while he’s getting the remaining poop from his bottom) and into a bath.

He’s starting to get interested in the potty. He’s becoming aware of when he needs to go to the bathroom, or when he’s just gone. He’ll come up to as and tell us he’s pee-pee or poo-poo or both. This morning, he decided that he needed to try to use the potty. Nothing came out, but it’s the first step.

I wish you the best of luck with Brooklin! Those Potty Training days can be fun. 😉

7. Doreen Riopel on March 28, 2011 at 10:45 am

I just asked my son to start and he did. My second not soo much. 🙂

8. Mickey Coutts on March 27, 2011 at 9:23 pm

It’s so hard to tell, isn’t it? My little girls were sooooo different from each other. One wanted to please us and was very proud of herself whenever she’d go on the potty. The other couldn’t have cared less. Didn’t care about accidents, rewards, upsetting or pleasing us, etc. lol.

Good luck!