I’m Taking My Child Out Of Private School

I decided after Kaila left preschool that the best place for her to be was a Christian private school, many things lead me to that conclusion. I was afraid because of her phonological disorder it may help her better transition into elementary school, the better education, a more one on one education, and the small class size.

Having to memorize scripture every week has given Kaila many challenges, but it’s also given her some strengths. She’s had to become very disciplined with her school work and has taken away lessons from the scripture. These are lessons you learn early on that make for even greater success throughout life. I can’t thank her school and her teachers enough for that.

I can say without a doubt I wouldn’t take the past year back, going to her school has given her so many wonderful learning opportunities. She is now about to complete her speech therapy and we are told by the time she is six you will never know she ever had a disorder to begin with. She’ll have to work on it which won’t be easy but seeing how far she’s come in two years she can do anything she sets her mind to!

Kaila is one of the most loving children I know, granted she’s my daughter she has a heart of gold and the personality to match. Just ask anyone who knows her!

I have gone back and fourth with this decision, I prayed about it, asked friends and family. My husband and I have given it a lot of thought and next year Kaila will not go back to school at her private school, she will instead join her local public school as a first grader. Our decision wasn’t financial by any means and I believe without a doubt she will transition into first grade well prepared and eager to learn. I also believe she will make friends and have experiences she wouldn’t have had in a private school.

Sure she may miss some of the friends she made but to be perfectly honest she hasn’t had any real connections with the other children. Their parents are much older than her father and I are, and the children are not given much time for socializing. That’s what you get in private school, which I believe will be helpful for every year from here on out. That also means again, she has no real connection with the children at her school.

Do you remember Kindergarten?

I do, in fact I am still friends with my very first best friend Kirsten. The sleepovers and the endless amounts of fun I had with my friends in elementary school are memories I will never forget. They made my childhood special and I want Kaila to have that. Not only that, we live in an exceptional school district and with two parents who are dedicated to our children I believe my children will successes with or without private school.

That said, I within my heart know what is best.

I’m taking my child out of private school!

1. joy on May 30, 2011 at 8:12 am

I presently have my children in Private Christian School. It will be 3 years in June. I have been disappointed in a few areas:
    -quality vs. quantity. When my girls finish up something early they are given more work and the majority of work is book work. Most of the teachers stick to the book and do not emblish the lesson outside of that page.
    -no time for socialization and developing friendship
    -VERY rule orientated, to the point of extreme rigidity with very little modeling of grace and mercy (well I see none, but I do not like to make a blanket statement on this)
    -I get the impression the teachers are not happy there. I think they are very overwhelmed and “ruled” as well.
    I see SO much possibility and promise….. great potential for this school….but I am so disappointed and discouraged. I do not want to take my children out, but I see so many negative things and how these are negatively affecting my girls (their grade levels are JR. High and High School). We have relocated a number of times and the girls have been in a few schools as a result of our transfers. I just want consistency and good friend(s) for them who are like minded. Oh, and we (as parents) have no real relationships there either)

2. Wendy W on February 1, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Each child is different, and you have to do what is best for that child. I went public, and I was a social butterfly. My two sisters were parochial and public and are both fine. I sent my oldest public then pulled him into parochial high school where he went from failing to thriving. My other two are in parochial as well, but my daughter would be fine public too (she’s like her mom, friends with anyone). We struggle with memory as well for my son because of his needs. It’s in is IEP to accomodate this and other things. He actually has made more friends here than before, and wishes to stay. That’s why I say, it is individual based on the child because each one is different.

3. Betty N on February 1, 2011 at 6:48 am

It sounds like a good decision for your daughter. We are in a county that also has exceptional schools and the best gifted school and special needs school. So it truly tries to meet all needs. Involved parents are a key ingredient in any child’s education

4. Eve on January 31, 2011 at 11:59 am

She’s very pretty, and you know your daughter better than anyone. Im sure she’ll flourish in her new school

5. Susan H. on January 30, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I went to private Christian schools for most of my school years, and I ultimately chose to send my kids to public schools. My private schools were very small and, thus, very “cliquey.” It was tough to “fit in” if you weren’t an athlete or cheerleader. With a public school, there are more kids and more “groups,” so it’s easier for kids to fit in somewhere. Also, I was considered a gifted student, but my private school didn’t have any programs for me, or for kids who needed more help. Yes, I miss the “Christian” part that’s not present in public school, but I think it’s good for kids to mingle with people of all religions and races. And my kids can learn about God from their parents and our church. One of our local Christian high schools has had a big drug problem, so I don’t think they’re necessarily any safer or protected than any other school. I know that I did the right thing in sending my kids to public schools.

6. Jen-Eighty MPH Mom on January 30, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Only you know what the right choice is! My son went to a Christian Jr. High School, and he didn’t like it at all. He didn’t connect with friends either, and I’m not quite sure why. We moved to an area where the public schools are excellent, and he and my daughter both thrived (daughter is still thriving :). It is a personal choice for sure, and you know your daughter better than anyone. I’m sure she will be fabulous!

7. Amanda @MommyMandy on January 30, 2011 at 12:20 pm

She will do great. I always do a little research on teachers and find the most well rounded teacher in that grade and request teachers.

We are trying to make a decision of staying in Arrowhead or moving to Redlands. We went house hunting yesterday, we are hoping to buy a home this summer.

8. Party Planning Professor on January 30, 2011 at 11:52 am

I went to Christian school and I was a black sheep-I went to public school and I was a light. Sounds like she is a go getter.

9. Christine M on January 30, 2011 at 8:39 am

I was surprised to read that there weren’t connections being made with other students. We send our kids to a private Christian school and they have made some of the best friends there. Friends of mine that have attended the school growing up are the best of friends. I have also made friends with the other parents some the same age others older. With what’s being taught in public schools nowadays we could not send our kids there. Im so glad Kaila had the opportunity to attend the Christian school and hope she makes tons of friends and continues to succeed at her new school =).

10. Jackie on January 29, 2011 at 7:45 pm

She’s a great girl, I know she will do awesome!!!

11. NerdMom on January 29, 2011 at 7:08 pm

She will do great! The key isn’t public school vs private school but to make the decision thoughtfully and considering what your daughter needs! You have done that so I am sure that she will do very well!

12. Mrs. Cox on January 29, 2011 at 4:34 pm

She’ll do great, Kristin! She’s such a sweetheart.