I don’t think road trips are for everyone. I mean come on, days on end stuck in a car, driving for endless hours with two kids can be anything but enjoyable. It can be enjoyable though, well as enjoyable as possible with small children.
I’ve come to learn a few things to bring on road trips for kids.
- Portable DVD players are lifesavers!!
- So are smartphones for Googling “car games to play with kids”
- Car games! Eye Spy is fun but get creative! I did some searches and found some really fun car games for kids.
- A CD with kids songs, most likely everyone will know the words. Singing helps keeps the tears away.
- Naptimes are taken to a whole new level, you will actually find they also come at the perfect time. Just make the screaming stop!!
- Take breaks and see the scenery, explore local restaurants and you’ll feel so refreshed when you jump back in the car.
- Set small goals, and if you have small children stop and stay the night.
- Have a conversation with your family, hours and hours of driving can get old but make the best of it and create memories to last a lifetime. We’re always so “connected” yet never connected enough take the time to just talk.
- Always keep a bag of candy handy. I am not afraid of resorting to bribery.
Happy road tripping!