How To Make Your Own Homemade Pumpkin Instead Of Canned

I’ve always wanted to make my own homemade pumpkin pie, and by that I mean fully homemade. Cook my own pumpkin, and try to do it as organically as possible. Now I’ve actually developed quite the system for boiling baking pumpkins.

You will need: 3 medium baking pumpkins yield 6 cups of pumpkin puree.

Cut pumpkins in half and scoop out the inside. Make sure all the gunk is cleaned off the slides.

Peel the pumpkins with a peeler. Cut off stems. Make sure you go over with a peeler twice just to get to the flesh.

Cut up pumpkin. Not into small piece just large chunks.

Boil the pumpkin for about 8 minutes, or until tender. But not so tender they’re completely breaking apart.

Strain pumpkin and let cool.

Place in bowl and squish with fork, place into blender, I use my Ninja.

( a magic bullet or anything to turn it into a puree would work)

Perfect pumpkin!

1. Brandy Byrne on December 6, 2010 at 10:00 pm

I, too, have always wanted to make one from scratch but didn’t really want to look up how. I had assumed it would be a very arduous task and just not worth the time. But you make it look and sound so simple I will have to give it a try for Christmas dinner.

2. W Wangen on November 27, 2010 at 10:47 pm

This is way easier than what I’ve been doing! Thanks!

3. Melanie on November 23, 2010 at 12:13 am

oops. meant inspiration.

4. Melanie on November 23, 2010 at 12:13 am

Thanks so much for sharing this. We have been working on improving our diet this year. We have started buying as much organic fruit and vegetables as we can. I’m always looking for inspirtation.
    Thanks again

5. trishden on November 15, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Sounds pretty easy thanks, although I thought the pie pumpkins were the white ones.

6. Julie M on November 14, 2010 at 8:22 pm

My suggestion is next time save yourself some arm work and try this. cut the pumpkins in half and scoop out the guts and seeds. rub the flesh lightly w/ oil and put them cut side down and a baking sheet w/ sides that has been lined w/ foil to make clean up easy. Pop them into a 350 oven for 45-60 min or until you can easily fork through the skin. allow to cool and then scoop out the meat. puree as before. Sometimes you will have more liquid to strain off, but I find that if you are going to freeze the puree it is better to strain after you thaw it out, the liquid will separate and be easier to strain. I have been making pumpkin puree like this for years, who needs to buy can when fresh is this easy. 😀

Plus by baking instead of boiling you don’t lose as many of the nutrients into the boiling water.

7. Tabitha P on November 13, 2010 at 8:04 pm

interested, I am not a big pumpkin fan but My husband likes it, I just may have to try this!

8. fancygrlnancy on November 13, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Thanks.. I never could figure out how to get it like that in the can.

9. Kristin on November 13, 2010 at 1:17 pm

If you can them or freeze the puree it can last upwards of 8 months.

I too thought it was so time consuming but it was actually simple. The flavor is wonderful, and better than anything that’s canned! At least in my opinion.

10. Tamara B. on November 13, 2010 at 1:07 pm

I have always wanted to make my own pumpkin pie filling but thought it was going to be back breaking and too time consuming. Your instructions are so easy to follow and right now pumpkins are cheap! If you can it how long it is good for, do you know? Thank-you so much for posting this!

11. Amanda on November 13, 2010 at 10:28 am

awesome, now what is the recipie to amke it into pumpkin pie? I want to amke my own too!

12. Kelly C. on November 13, 2010 at 10:26 am

Thank you for posting this! I have had such a mental block about using fresh pumpkin! This is incredibly easy! How was the flavor? Better than canned?

13. louise on November 13, 2010 at 8:29 am

Amazing!, I’m not a fan of messy things, but looks like the mess wasn’t actualy that bad.

14. Owen's Mom on November 13, 2010 at 8:28 am

Looks good! We always make our own pumpkin puree (we have a whole farm field full of them this time of year!)….and I stock my freezer. I hate peeling though, so I usually bake them till soft and do a bit of scooping. This way we can enjoy a good pumpkin cream stew or pumpkin muffins any time of year.

15. Kristie on November 13, 2010 at 9:14 am

I like this way of cooking pumpkin! We always cut them in half, clean them out and stick the halves open-side down on a cookie sheet and bake them…then spoon out the flesh and blend it afterwards. I think this would save energy by not having the oven on so long to bake-I’ll have to try it! 🙂

16. Christine M on November 13, 2010 at 8:48 am

Very neat the last time we made HM pumpkin we had to steam it or bake it til soft then peel out the inside. But the pumpkins were HUGE so it took a ridiculous amount of time even with 10 ladies.

17. Doreen Riopel on November 13, 2010 at 5:33 am

That’s it! I’m coming to live with you….please? lol

18. Tweets that mention How To Make Your Own Homemade Pumpkin Instead Of Canned — Our Ordinary Life -- Topsy.com on November 13, 2010 at 3:39 am

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Debbie Weatherly, OurOrdinaryLifeâ„¢ . OurOrdinaryLifeâ„¢ said: How To Make Your Own Homemade Pumpkin Instead Of Canned […]

19. LindsayDianne on November 12, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Thank you SO SO much for this.

20. Alex on November 12, 2010 at 11:17 pm