5 Organic Food Items You Should Consider Buying

Last week I proved just how expensive shopping organic can be. I came home with a grocery bill of almost $400 and a cart full at Whole Foods, so I totally know how and why shopping organic can add up. I don’t normally spend that kind of money, but I got a lot of baking goods which quickly added up.I don’t always buy everything organic, nor have I claimed that my family is totally 100% organic. I do talk about organics  on my Facebook, Twitter and blog because by bringing more awareness I hope just one more person will buy organic. Then it will be cheaper for us all, food should be food and it takes everyone to vote in the grocery store to make that change.  It’s actually really difficult to buy all organic on a budget however there’s a few things I will not budge on, and a few things you should consider.

5 Things You Should Consider Buying Organic:

1. Milk! See this post as to why. Cheese, and dairy.
  2. Produce
  3. Meat – beef, ground beef.
  4. Poultry – Chicken, Eggs, just something about knowing the chickens are happily free roaming around a local farm.
  5. Grains – snacks, cookies, bread, crackers

If you can find organic items on sale and a lot of stores offer sales I do feel it’s worth the added cost to buy foods that are certified organic. I buy mostly staples and cook a lot of fresh home-cooked meals. Does that mean I think frozen foods are the devil? No, I’ve been given a number of free coupons or even find a really great organic frozen lasagna for the kids and husband while I’m at school.

If you don’t ever buy anything organic in your whole entire life at least consider making your own meals. Trust me, I know how expensive buying organic can be. Shop smart, I can find organic eggs for slightly more than the other kinds.

organic eggs whole foods

My husband’s favorite Nature’s Path cereal, on sale!

organic cereal corn flakes

The frozen chicken nuggets, my kids love them and the price was incredible! My kids don’t regularly eat this stuff but it’s all about moderation.

organic chicken nuggets

Of course waffles, easy quick breakfast for those early mornings were running late. $2.89 for organic, you can’t beat that!

organic waffles

Tips for buying organic meats:

I won’t lie you can’t find (at least here) any organic beef for under $5.99 a pound. Costco actually has the best deal on organic beef if you buy in bulk. I also suggest trying a local butcher, I’ve been wanting to do this myself but at least shopping at the stores you’re going to pay $5.99 if not $6.99 a pound, chicken is slightly more expensive as well but well worth the added cost.

What things would you consider buying organic? Do you feel like it’s too expensive? Would you buy organic produce if it were cheaper?

1. Brandy Byrne on December 6, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Well, with feeding 5 kids and 2 adults I can rarely do organic. We do grow our own veggies and fruits. We try to go without meats mostly but I will buy those organic.

2. Summer on December 5, 2010 at 10:00 pm

I actually just purchased 40lbs of organic chicken from Zaycon foods and it is so delicious. We are also looking into getting half a cow there is a place here in northwest WA where you can get the cow for 2.49lb packed. We also hunt so we have had deer put away and Alaskan King Salmon..there is nothing better than that

3. fancygrlnancy on November 12, 2010 at 9:17 pm

I try to buy some organic.. I wish I did more. Thanks for sharing.

4. JC on November 12, 2010 at 8:00 pm

I do ‘try’ to buy organic produce, but I would love to be able to buy all organic. I had no idea, until this post, that Costco sold organic meat! I need to renew my membership with them just for that alone. Thank you so much for this post.

5. Tamara B. on November 12, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I love organic milk and cheese. You can really taste the difference and I feel so much better serving organic to my family too.

6. Jacqueline Griffin on November 11, 2010 at 6:36 pm

I love Whole Foods Market. There’s not one near me. I like to go when I am in Chicago. I shop there when I am in town and I bake cookies for my son that is in college near by. The cookies are so much better than non-organic ingredence. I know that Trader Joe’s is expensive too. Target has organic fresh food sections now. I see that Stater Bro. is starting to get organic foods in too. Maybe if we trend organic more, the stores will need to supply us with more! I seen a show on Dr. OZ on the difference between “natural” and “organic” it’s important to know the difference. My hubby works in the food packaging industry and he tells me about all the stuff that the FDA allows in our food. Most would be shocked if they knew.

7. Doreen Riopel on November 10, 2010 at 8:43 am

I think it can be confusing and overwhelming when deciding to go organic.
    This post really helps. I do baby steps. Same with recylcling.

8. Tabitha P on November 8, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Organic food is expensive! But if I can I do buy it. And I always try to buy the meat because it is just unbearable all the steriods and stuff they pump into the animals. I went vegetarian for more than one reasons, I have weaned in chicken so far but only if it has that stamp of organic!!

9. Christine M on November 4, 2010 at 10:32 am

I’m not on the whole organic bandwagon but we don’t buy processed foods because of the high salt content and fats and we have to be very careful what we buy bc we have an egg allergy in the house. It makes for tons more homemade items because we subsitute flaxseed for eggs.

10. Lewis F on October 27, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I’m very skeptical about “organic” foods and the extra price charged for this type. However, I try to use as much fresh produce as possible and cook for myself.
    I’d also consider buying from local farmers markets when they are close by.

11. meme on October 17, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Thanks for this blog it is very informative. I want to buy organic but can’t afford to right now. I do cook my meals at home alot and buy at orchards an farmers markets when I can. Now I will check for sales and see what I can do there

12. Dan on October 12, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Hi,

Great post and great tips. Going organic can be expensive, but if you look for sales and shop smart you don’t need to take out a 2nd mortgage 🙂

We are actually heading over to the Natural Products Expo tomorrow to find some great products for Moms and Dads. If there is anything you want us to check out for you, just drop us a comment on our site.

Thanks,
    Dan

13. Kristin on October 12, 2010 at 8:30 am

I did buy a lot of baking things and sauces which quickly added up, I usually shop stores like Safeway which has their own store brand organic line. Or buy in bulk at Costco, my shopping trip to Whole Foods was very abnormal for me. But it’s fall I like to bake!

14. Huguette English on October 12, 2010 at 5:07 am

Wow, I thought my last grocery bill was high!! I do look for specials, it’s even more frustrating where I live as organic is not available in much. I do like shopping for my veggies at the local Farmers market.

15. Lindsaydianne on October 11, 2010 at 7:46 pm

We have a great organic farm right in the heart of Vancouver which makes it much easier to buy quality milk products locally, that are taken care of.

16. Kristin on October 11, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I thought about doing a week long ONLY organic meal-plan and seeing how much it would cost, just as a test. See if it’s really possible. But mostly all week my meals are all organic, but I mean everything including seasonings.

I agree, I am totally American in the way that I like to disguise my food. esp meat. Makes me have less of a connection with the food, but just knowing the animal is healthy seems to ease my mind. I still cut up my food though, it looks nothing like the cow it once was. If that even makes sense. ha!

17. Haven on October 11, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Love this post! I go back and forth with vegetarianism, so I especially agree with the part about buying organic meats. More specifically “free range” meat. I know that animals don’t want to die, but I still believe that if you ARE going to eat meat, at least endorse the people who are doing it the old fashioned and more humane way rather than the crazies who pump the animals full of chemicals and make their short, cramped, sickly lives hell! Like you said, it just feels better knowing the animal got to roam and have a happy little grass-eating life for awhile.

I wish I could go all organic… I totally would… but just can’t afford to at this time. Very unfortunately. 🙁