Canning – How To Make Homemade Strawberry Jam

It came to me one day, why buy organic canned goods? Why even feel like I have to buy jam. After shopping at local farmers markets and buying my own organic jam it came to me. Why am I buying jam? Or tomatoes? Or salsa, refried beans. Why can’t I make my own relish and create my own pickles. It’s all so easy and I’m spending money on it all anyway.

I remember the Christmas that my mom made a bunch of jams. The time spent in the kitchen with my mom growing up is something I will cherish forever. She inspired my love for cooking and baking. In many ways she made me who I am today, and the person I am today wants to can my own food.

Remember I am such a beginner and I actually started this week. I had been talking about it for about a month now, but felt now was the time. Plus my husband Del had been wanting to give it a go for months. I altered the recipe a little from the one I had in my book but the recipe I want to share with you is from the Better Homes and Gardens “You Can CAN”

(Organic) Homemade Strawberry Jam

• 3 quarts organic strawberries
  • 175 once package of powered fruit pectin (I used liquid)
  • 1/2 teaspoon butter
  • 6 cups of sugar
  • 1 lemon (added lemon juice from another recipe)

1. Hull your strawberries – take out the core. Place strawberries in pan and start crushing them until you have 5 cups. ( I changed it up a little: Put Strawberries and slightly crushed them with Ninja chopping warrior.)
  2. Add to a pan and add pectin and butter and stir constantly until it comes to boil that cannot be stirred down. Stir constantly.
  3. Add sugar all at once. Return to a full rolling boil for one minute, and skim off foam with metal spoon.
  4. Ladle immediately into hot, sterilized half-pint canning jars. Wipe jars, adjust lids. To process and seal the jars add them to a boiling water-canner for 5 to 10 minutes. NOTE: start timing when the water returns to a rolling boil.
  5. Remove jars from canner and cool on wire rack for at least 24 hours.

I’ve learned a few things in the process of learning how to can. When I first sat in my kitchen with all these jars it all seemed so complicated. But I followed the directions on how to sterilize and process the jars.  The filling is just following an easy recipe. I have come to appreciate the pop top of the cans. The top of the lids will suck down if the jars have been “processed” correctly which is just a cool word for cut off to the outside world. As they heat and then contract, that sucking action seals them. You will want to look for that.

This Recipe Nutritional Info: (per 1 tablespoon) 51 cal. og. fat o mg chol. 1 mg. sodium 13. g carbo. 0 g. fiber 0 g. protein

1. Brandy Byrne on December 6, 2010 at 10:33 pm

My kids and I do this every year! We love going to pick the berries and then the process of making TONS of jam with them. Isn’t the color so bright and vibrant?? I love it! Hold one of your jars next to a store bought one and you’ll see. Mine actually tastes better too and I know what goes into my jars unlike from a factory.

2. Doreen Riopel on November 26, 2010 at 11:17 am

My girlfriend does this and it seems like a long procedure but You make it look so simple. You are a good teacher.

3. Fall Baking With Pyrex – Products That Make Life Easier — Our Ordinary Life on October 30, 2010 at 10:42 am

[…] the hot summer months, however once fall rolls around I start to bake more. This year with all my canning I made my own fresh organic pumpkin. This summer I attended BlogHer while at the conference I was […]

4. Lucinda on October 11, 2010 at 10:08 am

Glad to see this! I was worried the art of canning was going to be lost. My mother and grandmothers canned fresh garden produce every year so it’s always been a part of my life. But I didn’t start canning for myself until my late 20’s. I’ve been canning on my own for 20 years now and I gotta tell you…I make the best habanero-tomato salsa around! No way can I eat that stuff from the grocery store anymore. My recipe is here: http://anonynoose.wordpress.com/2010/09/24/home-grown-home-canned-salsa/

Happy canning all!

5. Del on September 9, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Pretty easy, Kristin just picked up 6 lbs of peaches….they are good.

More of what we made:

@DelTheDad

6. Tara Hill on September 7, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Wow, I always thought it would be much harder! Wish I could get my hands on some California strawberries!

7. Cat | 3 Kids and Us Reviews on September 2, 2010 at 10:58 pm

You are definitely braver than I am. My mom use to can when I was a kid … tomatoes, marinara sauce, apples … but I never paid much attention. I’d love to try it myself but I’m so afraid of not doing it properly and having the germs creep in there.

8. Amanda {Enchanting Havoc} on August 30, 2010 at 2:26 pm

YUM! I just found a recipe to make Watermelon jam! I’ve never made jam before and am nervous, but I’m going to venture into it this week…

BTW ~ where the heck do I find pectin at in the stores???

9. Huguette English on August 27, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Yum! I’ve always wanted to make my own jam, thanks for sharing!

10. Canning - Pickles, Strawberry Jam, Salsa, Peaches — Del The Dad on August 26, 2010 at 11:21 pm

[…] We believe that food and its origin are important.  It is good to now what’s going into items that we eat.  I can’t find pickles that are not as salty as the sea, and one of the best salsas I’ve tried lately came from Costco, was organic, and comes in a large container.  My wife talks about our journey with strawberry jam. […]

11. Lauralee Hensley on August 24, 2010 at 7:44 pm

The husband is wanting me to make more home canned jam, so I think I’ll give your strawberry jam a whirl. The last ones I made were cherry.

12. Ott, A on August 24, 2010 at 9:41 am

This looks great. I wanted to invite you over to my blog for my “Canning Week Blog Party” We are daily posting tips, recipes as well as give-a-ways and a linky party all related to canning. Hope you will stop by and link up!!!

13. Del on August 23, 2010 at 11:23 pm

I opened a jar today and I give it a Rachael Ray “delish!” I dont watch her show, and used to get annoyed at the numerous times she used that term, but this jam is that good.

We saved money, it has 5 ingredients total which we chose and know their quality, and made our own food. Some of the best strawberry jam I have ever had so I call it a complete success.

Make sure you have a tall pot, tongs, magnet, jars, and a jar rack for pot. I would suggest using the boiling water method over pressure canning, due to the technicality with air and pressures and/or a possible explosion. Pressure is widely used and safe when used correctly and may be your fancy.

I recommend as a way to do the family good. Good for health and great family time.

14. Emily - Food For Mama on August 23, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I’m so glad you posted this recipe! I can’t wait to try canning!